Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News Sources
deephiance Wrote:Lou Reed once said 'Believe none of what you hear and half what you see'

No News source is reliable when there are only a handful of people that own all media sources.

Independent news reeks too much of personal opinion and 'alternate facts'

I rarely read opinion pieces and there's no such thing as "alternative facts."

I understand what you're saying, and I agree to a certain point, but what would be the solution? Just ignore all news and media?

I feel I can absorb enough of what is presented to me to take away a fairly reasonable idea of to what I should pay attention.

Thank you. Smile

'Alternate facts' was a very tongue in cheek comment, perhaps a pot shot at the media.

There are facts that are actually facts and reported in the media, an example, Trump (or Trumpy what ever tickles your pickle Smile )is the President of the USA...but was he 'elected' or was he 'selected'?

The fact is there are terrorist, terrorism and acts of terror, but who is actually responsible for that?

BUT...
[Image: 14224971_10153927122020875_9352532929697...e=594828A9]

It's always good to mix up media resources. Due to the propaganda factor, Russia Today usually gives some interesting stories on the UK which the BBC omit! So it's good to consider 'what's the agenda behind this story?' Etc.

I am very troubled by Trumps attempts to delegitimize the press. I agree that we should always be using our critical thinking, and to mix up our sources, especially reading the international press.

But if we were to believe him and all his fake news, the media is the enemy of the American people, all negative polls are fake bullshit, then we might as well put the crown on his head ourselves. Notice how he attacks the media after they question him, or confront him about lies and the lies of the people working on his behalf. He is trying to silence and delegitimize his critics, just like how he speaks about the judicial branch, already blaming any future terrorist attacks on them.

It's absurd to me that this administration has any credibility after all of the lies they've told in THE ONE MONTH he's been president. The amount of total bullshit that the people of this country have accepted from Trump is both mind blowing and heart breaking.

I thought I was angry and had lost faith in the people of this country when he was elected.... that's nothing compared to how I feel now that I'm watching people just go along with this. Like I said... it's very troubling to me.

Trump was able to feed off of a general sense that "things aren't good " and people maybe rushed to vote him in with the hope of change. A similar debate is happening in the UK where it is being argued that many people had been misled on what 'Brexit' meant in practice. Trump is a businessman and not a politician, so he comes across like the drunk guy in a pub that is going to put the world to rights by blaming other people for his problems. Not being a politician he doesn't have the same restraint as most 'populist' politicians. I think he is going to be more of a frightening global prospect than Bush. Interesting times ahead!

deephiance Wrote:'Alternate facts' was a very tongue in cheek comment, perhaps a pot shot at the media.

Hmm.

deephiance Wrote:There are facts that are actually facts and reported in the media, an example, Trump (or Trumpy what ever tickles your pickle Smile )is the President of the USA...but was he 'elected' or was he 'selected'

Are these not synonyms? I can only guess as to what you might be suggesting.

deephiance Wrote:The fact is there are terrorist, terrorism and acts of terror, but who is actually responsible for that?

Erm, terrorists?

deephiance Wrote:BUT...
[Image: 14224971_10153927122020875_9352532929697...e=594828A9]

You're saying...uh...what exactly are you saying here?

The bottom line is I consider the sources I named to be reliable. If you think that's naive of me for whatever reason, I'm totally cool with that.

I don't judge people, I just provoke them to think. I don't always make sense, but think about it.

NPR, New York Times, Washington Post, Bergen Record, Camden Courier-Post, two hyperlocal news blogs specific to my area. Do not watch any TV news and try to avoid hysterical quasi-news from either extreme. When I have time or curiosity I use Google News to get perspective from other sources but I try to be aware of where they stand as I am aware no publication is completely free of bias.

InbetweenDreams Wrote:I usually don't read too much into the news but when I do watch news it's typically CBSN, mostly because I don't have cable or satelite and CBSN streams for free.

When I come across some questionable stuff and most everything is twisted and dumbed down. I google it and try to look at different sources, of course there's always chance that google's search results can be skewed to put things in different spots. I mean really though, we're at the mercy of the establishment of media companies to put truthful articles and information. I mean very very few people are going to "C-SPAN" style and read the text of the bill being passed and really know without a shadow of a doubt anything.

If it is radio and I have a choice NPR seems alright, there's a couple NPR stations I can pick up but not the best coverage here in the mountains and most of the FM translators are fairly low powered where the Atlanta stations can be heard up here reasonably well but they're 100 kW as opposed to a few hundred watts.

Otherwise I try not to stick my nose into the news so much as most things in the news just piss me off and and I don't like being upset over shit I can't control...which is pretty much everything if you think about it...

If you enjoy NPR check out their new-ish app NPR One. You can listen to any NPR station and they have featured news stories and interest pieces, which supposedly become tailored to your taste over time (I haven't used it enough to experience that really)