Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No confidence to come out fully
I joined here a couple of months ago, but, haven't really posted much, but, I really need some help/advice.

I'm 27 and I feel so alone, compared to other gay people. It wasn't always like that, like I came out (kind of, not to my parents) and fully accepted myself as gay in uni, when I was about 18/19, and the uni LGBT really helped with that. I made some really cool friends, and we went out to gay bars and clubs a lot and I really felt connected to the wider gay world, but, ever since graduating a couple of years ago, most of my friends have moved outside of London (to either go back home, as they can't afford to stay in London or for work), and, since then, I haven't been out on the gay scene at all. The confidence I felt at uni in myself seems to have gone and I feel very lonely.

I need some advice to get it back, and I don't know how. I'd love to find some kind of social group, or something, but, I don't know how.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I'm 27 like you and in London, and yeah, afford a life with all of the costs is not easy in London, is a very expensive city.
Bills, underground, also social life eheh...
I think the best way to find friends out, is going out and if the 'gay scene' is important for you... Go to Soho and you will find a lot of people! ;-) But you can go everywhere, London is one of the most open city in Europe.

Social groups, there are a lot of groups on MeetUp.com, I joined the website and received many emails with various topic (I'm into Art, so sometimes I watch these, I watched fitness and sport, LGBT etc... They do a lot of things every week) but honestly never tried a meeting. I don't know why, but I think is not bad, I've already tried meeting of forum members in the past and I tried good people, also new friends.

I think you can find this kind of groups even with the Council of your zone.

Have you tried to find what's stopping yourself?

For what to do in London, I cannot help...refer to the post above

as for the general picture, by 27 you've already come far Confusedmile:

so, don't loose the confidence you developed in uni years..

it sucks that all those friends took off, but, then, I guess it's a matter of finding new ones?

Maybe you could start with work, perhaps, then move on to the gay scene in the city..

you could go out on your own to bar or something if you're ok with that, and see what happens..