Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No job partner
Today I can only keep myself...

she doesn't work . but as she's pretty busy growing a human inside her uterus i'm okay with that Smile

My partner has not worked for 10 years due to his C.O.P.D.

I won't lie to you it gets tough ,but if you love someone you can make it work.

Insufficient data in the question to render anything like a real reply.

Why isn't s/he working?

I can only assume we are talking about today's economy where Wall Street is booming, yes, but Main Street is limping along.

Last week, or two weeks ago, there was a 'job fair' about 100 jobs were available, about 5 thousand people showed up for the jobs....

If times are good and there is a plethora of jobs available, I might question it assuming the partner's health is decent.

In this economy, one is lucky to have a job. I consider myself fortunate to have this caretaker position which pays rent, electricity, gas, water, sewage and keeps us sheltered and warm. Around these parts plenty of people are on the verge of being homeless with way too many already homeless.

We are in a depression, perhaps not as bad as the Great Depression... however if you live in the real world you see that people are struggling to make ends meet, lots of people here in the States even with a full time job are having to take on Food Stamps in order to eat.

The economy is shitty... for us down here on Main Street. For those on Wall Street, those who actually broke the economy, well they are doing just fine and dandy.

Yeah...

All I can do is offer my experience.

I started my current relationship one year ago this month (happy anniversary to us)!

Smile

One month later he lost his job through no fault of his own.

Sad

A little research revealed the average American worker is out of work for 7 months. I'm quite practical and very realistic and simply PLANNED for a long stretch of unemployment.

He never gave up looking for another job.
He never asked me for anything.
And he had my full support and encouragement during the whole episode (which, by the way, lasted EXACTLY 7 months).

But I won't lie. We almost broke up during the later stages as the holidays approached. The holidays ALREADY exert too much pressure on relationships, but when somebody is unemployed it gets even worse. Not to mention issues of low self esteem, etc.

The best advice I have is to be prepared to suddenly compromise in ways you never considered. You need to be creative and PROACTIVE. The ability to start planning ahead is even more valuable during times like this. I learned negotiating skills I never thought I had.

I'm pretty sure I could broker a mid-East peace deal by next week.
Smile
Good luck.