Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No shoes for black dancers
With the increased popularity of dance as an art form and in some countries diversity among the dancers, why is it that don't they make shoes for black ballet dancers?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-3562932...ine_110316
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

While I can see why the article was written, and agree with the argument that the shoes should be available in other tones, after I actually read the article I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the dancer himself isn't all that bright.
He complains about not having shoes that match his skin tone, and elaborates about the time consuming process of using pancake makeup to color them. Has it not occurred to him that for less that $4 he could dye 2 dozen pair of ballet shoes to whatever color he wants...? All he needs to do is go to Walmart and pick up a package of RIT Dye...
~Beaux

^ I was about to mention the dye lol.

But in all honesty, do shoes even HAVE to match skin color in ballet?

Not to subtract from the overall problem of racism, but shoes seem to be a small thing to worry about...just my opinion.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Beaux Wrote:While I can see why the article was written, and agree with the argument that the shoes should be available in other tones, after I actually read the article I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the dancer himself isn't all that bright.
He complains about not having shoes that match his skin tone, and elaborates about the time consuming process of using pancake makeup to color them. Has it not occurred to him that for less that $4 he could dye 2 dozen pair of ballet shoes to whatever color he wants...? All he needs to do is go to Walmart and pick up a package of RIT Dye...
~Beaux

I too had thought about dye. Maybe "Just for Men" hair dye that would be very quick.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Has anyone every asked for them in a different colour ? is it just a dumb oversight by the manufacturers or has no one ever actually complained to them before ? Hopefully now one firm is releasing other flesh tones then the others will hopefully follow -except probably the Russian one who sound stuck in the past

Sounds like the suppliers have not perceived the demand due to the coping strategy of pancaking being under the radar. Shoes are big business. Once someone taps into this market, the others will follow, though it is worth remembering that specialty footwear is apt to encourage cultism amongst consumers.
I bid NO Trump!