Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nyc!!!
Excited to get to the Big Apple this summer but undecided on a place to stay.

I'm torn for a few reasons...

Do I stay at a gay-friendly hotel? Or a gay-friendly b&b? These seem to generally be near Chelsea, although I guess Out is a little further north.

Or do I stay somewhere based purely on cost? Obviously I don't want to go broke, but I don't mind paying a little more for a good vacation!

Any thoughts or suggestions? Feel free to drop the names of places that you would suggest based on your own experience or what you may have heard from friends or loved ones. I've read some reviews online, but it seems as though one website will list a place very highly where as another will complete decimate the same place. So, GS friends, I very much appreciate your input!

I usually go by cost since NYC can be outrageously expensive. My experience is that the reasonably-priced places fill up and you'll need to decide soon. Sorry, I don't have specific ideas for anything gay-relevant.

I liked the Carlton Arms, but it was over 20 years ago. Each room is decorated by a different artist, and the whole place is an art showcase. The prices are still good.

Elijoan Wrote:I usually go by cost since NYC can be outrageously expensive. My experience is that the reasonably-priced places fill up and you'll need to decide soon. Sorry, I don't have specific ideas for anything gay-relevant.

I liked the Carlton Arms, but it was over 20 years ago. Each room is decorated by a different artist, and the whole place is an art showcase. The prices are still good.

I've stayed there recently, my boss loves the place so we stay there when we have to travel to NY...the first time I booked, I was a little taken aback when I was asked to choose between shared or private bathroom lol...but the difference in the rate is inconsequential considering that this is probably the best bargain in the city.

I've never stayed at any of the gay-friendly places, since my NY travel has all been with my (straight) boss. Even with my BF, the thought doesn't much appeal to me, not sure why...

The Chelsea Pines looked nice by description online and has very high reviews and a relatively low cost for NYC. But it looks booked! Was thinking maybe another place like this but not finding much.

Elijoan Wrote:I usually go by cost since NYC can be outrageously expensive. My experience is that the reasonably-priced places fill up and you'll need to decide soon. Sorry, I don't have specific ideas for anything gay-relevant.

Looks like I missed the key to your statement! The place I had wanted to stay in is now booked. Bah!

Anyone know of a good place to find info or reviews on the gay bar scene? I'm not looking to hookup, but somewhere to relax and have fun conversation at the bar after a fun and busy day of seeing the Big Apple. The key is relaxed. Somewhere to just sit back, feel welcomed, talk to people, and enjoy a cold drink or two. Since I don't know the NYC gay scene, I really don't look forward to the possibility of showing up at a gay dance club thinking its a bar!