Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now that men can marry in the USA...
Is it possible for two guys to have a common law marriage afer living together for a certain amount of time?
I bid NO Trump!

no clue but I don't see why not.

According to what I've read,,,, even opposite sex couples who want to declare their union under "common law marriage" have to meet a pretty strict criteria and be able to convince a judge that they had intended to marry at some point but didn't for some reason (hopefully a logical reason). And then,, there's also the problem of only a few states (approximately 15) that even recognize "common law marriage". Each of these participating states has it's own criteria to be met, such as the length of time together - which varies from state to state.

Gay couples should be able to claim "common-law-marriage" in those states that permit it. However, I can see where some Judges may attempt to be more stringent toward gay couples if they have personal biases against gays and/or marriage equality.

I would talk to a family law attorney who would know the specifics for the state that he practices in.

I had a gal friend who was with a man for over 15 years and they never got married. When he died, she had problems with his children from a prior marriage and ended up paying them a considerable sum of money from the estate. It placed her in bad financial situation and she was unable to live as comfortably as she would have if she had married him.

A marriage certificate is still the best legal document to have when divorce or death happens during a couples relationship. It's legal protections & benefits simply cannot be duplicated in any other legal form in some instances.

Saturday Night & Bored,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:According to what I've read,,,, even opposite sex couples who want to declare their union under "common law marriage" have to meet a pretty strict criteria and be able to convince a judge that they had intended to marry at some point but didn't for some reason (hopefully a logical reason). And then,, there's also the problem of only a few states (approximately 15) that even recognize "common law marriage". Each of these participating states has it's own criteria to be met, such as the length of time together - which varies from state to state.

Gay couples should be able to claim "common-law-marriage" in those states that permit it. However, I can see where some Judges may attempt to be more stringent toward gay couples if they have personal biases against gays and/or marriage equality.

I would talk to a family law attorney who would know the specifics for the state that he practices in.

I had a gal friend who was with a man for over 15 years and they never got married. When he died, she had problems with his children from a prior marriage and ended up paying them a considerable sum of money from the estate. It placed her in bad financial situation and she was unable to live as comfortably as she would have if she had married him.

A marriage certificate is still the best legal document to have when divorce or death happens during a couples relationship. It's legal protections & benefits simply cannot be duplicated in any other legal form in some instances.

Saturday Night & Bored,
Jimeroooo

@jimcrackcorn, I suggest you do the research and get back to us with the answers. In France, there is the PACS (a civil partnership) but it never afforded as many legal ties as a marriage licence.

princealbertofb Wrote:@jimcrackcorn, I suggest you do the research and get back to us with the answers. In France, there is the PACS (a civil partnership) but it never afforded as many legal ties as a marriage licence.

??????????? Your talking to the OP right????????
We Have Elvis !!

I'm hardly in a position to do legal research. Just curious about this and wonder if it has arisen to anyone's knowledge.
I bid NO Trump!