Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are not amused
Photo 
OK, I’ve always had difficulty swallowing the whole LGBT etc acronym ( if that’s what it is) preferring ‘queer’ and being proud to be one. 
What’s this leading to? Today I learnt Lego has launched its first LGBTQ+ set. Apart from it being astonishingly ugly I’m horrified as what the + sign might eventually stand for. Call me a reactionary old fuddy duddy if you want but I think this little toy is hideous.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/m...-lgbtq-set

I guess for some queer or LGBT doesn't cover everything for them?

I am curious though, what are your thoughts about the acronym LGBT and such?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I know that some people don't want to use the term "queer" as it's been used as a slur for so long.

Personally, I'm tired of the letters expanding each year to include a new 'subset' of people.

If I were the leader of all LGBTQIA?+ people (I refer to us as the "alphabet crew" - I believe Demi Lovato calls us the "Alphabet Mafia") I would make the following changes.

All the letters would be gone, and we'd be The Queer Community.

Gay men would no longer have the rainbow flag, the rainbow flag would represent the Queer Community.

Gay men would now be represented by a white flag with a pink triangle, point down.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I think it is important to point out the whole not adding more letters to the LGBT thing is not because we don't want to include these "new" subsets of people or that they shouldn't be represented and so forth. Simply the acronym/mnemonic just loses it's meaning when it is LGBTQTIAPFXYZ8675309 or whatever. People who oppose Gay, Lesbian, Trans and others' rights simply laugh at it and mock it and remain ignorant about who we are and have seen it first hand in the past. The rainbow flag should represent everyone as it is, simply put. I thought that was the idea, maybe I'm wrong.

Likewise, these sort of discussions can (and have) take a nasty turn.

I'll leave this here, https://outrightinternational.org/conten...-explained
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Cridders88, Karl Rand

Eurgh. I hate the word Queer. Heard it enough at school, had it drilled into me enough in a negative way. No way will I ever want to identify as queer. I get the notion that people want to reclaim the word back from it's negative roots, but for me it will always be a negative word, and identifying as queer for me implies that we are weird, abnormal, outsiders. It is not an inclusive word IMO. Just my opinion of course.
[-] The following 3 members Like Cridders88's post:
  • Cardiganwearer, InbetweenDreams, Justaguy

I recall kids calling people, myself included, faggot or queer... So yeah I get that...
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Cridders88

Anything longer than LGBT I roll my eyes at, so I feel you, @Karl Rand .I call the others “on the lgbt spectrum”. I’m also ok with queer, due to no negative memories.

I don’t like the pink triangle, because of its significance during the Holocaust.

I’m happy with the rainbow flag. I’m ok with all the other flags, if you don’t feel represented by the rainbow. Don’t ask me to memorize them, though.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

(05-20-2021, 07:01 PM)Cridders88 Wrote: Eurgh. I hate the word Queer. Heard it enough at school, had it drilled into me enough in a negative way. No way will I ever want to identify as queer. I get the notion that people want to reclaim the word back from it's negative roots, but for me it will always be a negative word, and identifying as queer for me implies that we are weird, abnormal, outsiders. It is not an inclusive word IMO. Just my opinion of course.
Given my negative view of our species in general, held from a very early age, I’ve always felt proud to be thought ‘weird, abnormal and an outsider’. For me however this has always been an issue far wider than my being gay given normal insiders are destroying this planet with such enthusiasm. 
   As a young queer I was frequently picked on and bashed by other (supposedly normal) children. Luckily a neighbour, a retired professional boxer and karate instructor took me under his wings telling me to say nothing at school about what I was learning until he thought me ‘ready’. When I finally had sufficient boxing and martial arts skill I unleashed a long held loathing for ’normal’ boys who had attacked me over the years. With hindsight I confess I may have gotten carried away at times with my need for revenge. In my 70’s I still find it impossible to regret coming out fighting, a proud, nasty little pugnatious queer.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Karl Rand's post:
  • Camfer

I can't say that I'm knowledgeable enough about LGBTQ+ to really form much of an opinion, though I did like @InbetweenDreams link of all the different identifiers and what they mean. But I think anyone who suffers from discrimination or abuse because of their identity / sexuality should be afforded the same inclusion, especially in countries where such discrimination is rife and people there desperately need an LGBTQ+ community there to fight for their rights. Personally I can't really say I identify as anything other than gay in that list, which is a term I'm perfectly happy with, seeing as it does have a double meaning for carefree and light-hearted.