Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numbers to get you thinking
Do you still believe that we are alone?

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I believe nothing. I take evidence.

Logically speaking, the probablility of there being life elsewhere shouldn't be negligible considering the size of the universe.

But, so far, there is no evidence to make such a statement and deem it true.

I'm afraid it's too much of a for man kind to screen the entire universe in search for it. If it's ever found, it will be more chance than anything.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:I believe nothing. I take evidence.

Logically speaking, the probablility of there being life elsewhere shouldn't be negligible considering the size of the universe.

But, so far, there is no evidence to make such a statement and deem it true.

I'm afraid it's too much of a for man kind to screen the entire universe in search for it. If it's ever found, it will be more chance than anything.

Well I for one believe that Earth is not unique. The probability is minimal. We might never know not even in a million years but that still wouldn't make Earth unique.

LONDONER Wrote:Well I for one believe that Earth is not unique. The probability is minimal. We might never know not even in a million years but that still wouldn't make Earth unique.

Unless we have evidence we can't state anything of one note or the other.

Insertnamehere Wrote:Unless we have evidence we can't state anything of one note or the other.

Quite true. We might have to wait for millions of years for an answer (if the Earth lasts that long) but I'm sure that the mystery will be solved one day long after I have turned to cosmic dust.

LONDONER Wrote:Quite true. We might have to wait for millions of years for an answer (if the Earth lasts that long) but I'm sure that the mystery will be solved one day long after I have turned to cosmic dust.

It would be interesting, if scary, if some life form is able to find us instead. Interesting so as to solve the mystery, scary in finding out they're more technologically advanced and what that could mean for us.

Insertnamehere Wrote:It would be interesting, if scary, if some life form is able to find us instead. Interesting so as to solve the mystery, scary in finding out they're more technologically advanced and what that could mean for us.

I don't see why it would necessarily be scary. I would understand if we found life on another planet. Whatever we found would be justified in finding us scary. As humans we don't exactly have a good record for being friendly to other life forms or even to other human being.

LONDONER Wrote:I don't see why it would necessarily be scary. I would understand if we found life on another planet. Whatever we found would be justified in finding us scary. As humans we don't exactly have a good record for being friendly to other life forms or even to other human being.

I think a life form so technologically advanced as to find our humble home world would see us in the same way we see ants. Ants are quite accomplished organisms, they form intricate socieites, manipulate their environment to make a home and have an efficient communication system. You know what happens to them vs us.

Insertnamehere Wrote:I think a life form so technologically advanced as to find our humble home world would see us in the same way we see ants. Ants are quite accomplished organisms, they form intricate socieites, manipulate their environment to make a home and have an efficient communication system. You know what happens to them vs us.

Our meeting with any form of extra terrestial life doesn't have to mean that they would be more technologically advanced.

LONDONER Wrote:Our meeting with any form of extra terrestial life doesn't have to mean that they would be more technologically advanced.

There would be a chance if it's them finding us, that they are.

I wonder how that would go. I'm thinking heavy language barriers.