Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG!!! I'm OUT!!!
Unlike my early predictions, this is NOT going slowly for me. Have you ever tried to re-package a tube of biscuit dough???

So, I took the easy route with some people. I came out to the LGB people in my life. - no sweat.
Then I started with close friends who have other gay people in their lives - again, no sweat.
Then came the decision to come out to mom, a recently widowed woman in her 80s who have always come off as being disapproving of "people like that". This was more of a challenge. However, I used a discussion we had earlier to lead in.

We had been discussing the fact that I would live in her house after she passed away. She mentioned that doing so would be up to me. She then made reference to me living there with a girlfriend. I wasn't expecting it, so the words "or boyfriend" stuck in my throat. She went on to another topic and the moment was lost. However, I returned later tat night and referenced her comment. It was a "you know how you mentioned..." kind of ice breaker. I then told her that I was not with anyone, and didn't have plans to be with anyone in the near future. However, If I were with someone, it would most likely not be a woman. "So, you're gay" she replied, to which I said yes. She expressed that she had no problem with it. I referenced that It was the way I was born, but she believes that we are a product of life experiences. Regardless of her beliefs, I am just glad she is accepting.

My daughter is 17, but has mild Autism. I emailed her mother to let her know that I am attracted to men. Now, not being together for 15 years, this could have gone any one of a number of ways. However, her response was essentially that she "knew" I was gay for the past 13 years.

I'm really happy for you that everyone is so accepting (:

Cinestry Wrote:I'm really happy for you that everyone is so accepting (:

Exactly, and congrats on taking all those steps.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

It seems if we get positive responses from those closest to us, we don't really want to live half-in and half-out anymore, and it's easy to decide to just start coming out to all assort and sundry. Welcome to the other side. Smile

Lex

Congrats on how everything is going!!!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Congratulations. Smile

Sounds like everything went reasonably smooth, glad to hear it. Hope life is easier and less stressful in the future, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Congratulations...I love reading/hearing about these great stories.

JCasey Wrote:I emailed her mother to let her know that I am attracted to men. Now, not being together for 15 years, this could have gone any one of a number of ways. However, her response was essentially that she "knew" I was gay for the past 13 years.

Anticlimatic wasn't it? All that worrying for nothing huh? So you've been hiding from her for 13 years for exactly what reason? Coming out isn't about the people you tell. It's about you being able to tell them. It means you've accepted yourself to the point you're comfortable with their decision to accept or reject your for being gay.

I understand that. I screwed up at 13 and said something that let my parents and brother know I was gay. Up until I graduated HS and went in the marines they did their bests to make it easy to talk to them about anything gay. It took me until I was almost 21 to be able to come out. How did they react?

"Oh, well, that's always been fine with us, you know. How's the weather there?"

I think your mother is only partly right. Even sexually, some of the stuff we like could be a product of life experiences. But then I think that heterosexuality must be programmed into most people from the get go. I can't help but think that I'd be straight if I had been forced to be straight, but that's probably not true. The way I act or acted is probably due to the fact that I am not straight. I liked your story.