Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG!!! I'm OUT!!!
I'm glad to read your story, I wish all the best for you in the future! Smile

That's awesome man. I'm glad it went that well for you.

I also came out late in life (40) and have told a handful of people. Like you, I started with the easy ones first. A gay aunt my age, my brother who I knew would not judge, a gay cousin who I was the first one she came out to, and my mom, who I knew would be accepting.

I did this weeks after I came out to myself.

Since then the momentum has stopped. I still have to tell my stepfather and my best friend. These will be more difficult for me. I know they will accept it and me, but I also know they won't "like" it.

I have a bf now so I'll have to do it really soon. I'm going away with him on a short vacation in 2 weeks, and when my family goes to LBI in the summer I will want him with me. This means I have to tell my entire family....my uncles and my grandfather.

I know they will all accept it, but it's not a fun thing to bring up. I'm a private person in some ways even though I've done some crazy things.

That's pretty awesome. And you had a plan! I've pretty much been wandering around blurting it out to anyone who'd listen...Anyway, good for you!!

I had set a goal of reaching out to at least two people a day. I don't make it a dramatic thing, but rather mention it in the flow of conversation. I tend to tell them that I'm cutting back on be involved in town politics, going to the gym on a regular basis, coming out of the closet, and eating healthy. Sometimes it takes them a few seconds to realize what I've said, so I just continue on stating that I've lost 25 pounds.

I'm glad for you that things went so well. I've been coming out over the past 2 years but honestly don't expect to come out to family. There would be little surprise, honestly, but, for me and for them, this is one of those things that will remain unsaid.

Butter

When it comes to coming out, the only ones who NEED to know are you, anyone with whom you are dating, and those in your support structure ( typically close family). The others don't need to know. If you start walking down main st holding hands with a guy, they will figure it out. ;-).

It is fun to work it into a conversation though. :-)