Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG-why is this section collecting dust?
about to finish a book called "is it a choice" alot of filler, but some very insightful information. worth picking up i think

The last book I read, which I need to read again, is called Breaking the Worry Habit. I am exhausted with worry and the effort it is taking me to stay positive. Any other ideas on good books to help me with this?

YetAnother Wrote:i'll allow it! Biggrina
no seriously though, some graphic novels are very good.
but if you come at me with some manga that's
aimed at twelve year old japanese girls and try
and act like it's akira, lain, or even x-men...
well, then i'm going to have to spank you.Shakin

I like your anime' references..... not to change subjects, but Akira is a great one and Lain was interesting, but unfortunately I only ever got to see the first season, I want to see more.

I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and have read through it about three or four times now (I don't read as much as I truly would like to, too sporadic in my hobbies to focus on one for very long). I bring it up though because while I was in Germany I ordered Der Hobbit from Amazon, it's a beautiful publication of the book, the maps are printed right onto the inside of the hardcover... although I'm disappointed the runes aren't also translated into German... I still need to read through it, but I've always gotten caught up trying to figure out all the words... I know that's the wrong way to approach it but hey, what can you do. Anyways, with the movie soon t be released I think I'll have to do another read through, maybe I'll do a chapter by chapter English and German versions, so that someday I can say I read the German one!!! Smile

Oooh, also anyone a fan of Gonzo? I love Hunter Thompson!! His first book I read was his autobiography "The Kingdom of Fear" Which was pretty amusing and of course read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I plan to read more, but got caught up in Jack Kerouac...

Speaking of Jack, On the Road is obviously a great tale, but even more awesome to me is Dharma Bums. It's pretty ridiculously short, but the character Japhy makes it all worth it. Just a bnuch of bums practicing the good Dharma of Buddha-life in the Pacific Northwest wilderness... and enchanting account by my standards...

I'm reading a few things at the moment.

Inheritance - Christopher Paolini
Purgatorio - Dante Alighieri
A book on Zen Buddhism (has various lectures talks in there) but I can't actually remember the name of it/author. It's my room up in college.

That being said this is all fun, as soon as I am back it's gonna be serious stuff because I have to get the literature review compiled for my PhD:frown:

Currently reading Animal Farm atm for the second time, don't have alot of time for reading unless it's academic or assessed lol

Gay comic books? Ah, Alison Bechdel's Fun Home is quite good, about her relationship to her closeted father as a child.

Poetry with gay themes is harder to recommend, you have to dig deep for some good stuff. There are some moments of homo-erotica in Whitman's Leaves of Grass.

There's these two by Auden that are quite famous: http://www.npr.org/programs/death/readin.../aude.html

There's Rimbaud and Verlaine's sonnet to the asshole, which is not very serious haha.

Ginsberg's "America" and "A Supermarket in California."

There is also Virgil's Eclogue's which is mostly about shepherds chasing virginal maids, but there is the pairing of Corydon and Alexis in there too.

Thanks to all who have been participating in this thread. Pc

and OrphanPip, don't let my earlier comment stop you from recommending stuff even though its not really gay.
I honestly can't see you wasting my time with bad recommendations.

i hope the board will continue to discuss what you're reading at the moment or what you find particularly intriguing and why.
...and of course your free to ask about things you are looking for as well.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, hence the thread. I'm looking for ideas.
Gay is a plus of course, but not necessarily a requirement.

Any good books on self improvement and being positive?

i'm afraid i'm not much of a non-fiction guy lately, and vary rarely into self-helps...
wakeboarder might be able to help you out?