Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama inauguration security force larger than number of troops in Afghanistan
If, as expected, a record crowd turns out for Barack Obama’s inauguration, Washington will be ready with the largest number of security people ever assembled in the nation’s capital.
The U.S. Secret Service is overseeing a security force of more than 40,000 people, including 7,500 active duty soldiers, 10,000 National Guard troops and 25,000 law-enforcement officers.
That surpasses the 31,000 troops serving in Afghanistan.
Intelligence officials say there are no specific threats, but they acknowledge that the high visibility of the inauguration, the presence of dignitaries and the significance of swearing in the first black president make it a vulnerable target.
“We have to be prepared for the lone individual who will try to interrupt the event all the way up to a terrorist organization,” Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan told FOXNews.com.
The Metropolitan Police Department will deploy 4,000 officers, and it will have help from an additional 4,000 officers from 99 federal, state and local law-enforcement agencies across the country.

Taken from:

Washington Assembles Largest Inauguration Security Force Ever | Political News - FOXNews.com

WoW

A friend is planning to go... it should be pretty amazing but a little insane as well. I have been on one enormous protest march in DC with about a half million and I am guessing this will be way way way bigger.

If you had the chance to go who would go?

I'm not even gonna get to watch it on TV cos i have an exam Sad

I have heard they are expecting around a million people

If I could go I so would be there, like yesterday

Xyxthumbs

I too would love to be their, hope that all goes well. It will be a day to be remembered in history books far into the future.

Star Twister Wrote:I have heard they are expecting around a million people

Just heard they are expecting between 2 and 4 million

fjp999 Wrote:Just heard they are expecting between 2 and 4 million

ooooh He's popular !!!

Star Twister Wrote:ooooh He's popular !!!

[COLOR="Purple"]GIGGLES

My friend made it to DC a couple hours ago... I suggested she start the first Cougars Ball *surely Bill Clinton would pay to gain entrance to that event Lol2

Hope I dont sleep in for it all but am also sure cable repeats all week.[/COLOR]

While maybe not in the same league of revolutionary change as the victory for Mr Obama (... or is it?), I am reminded of the British general election on 1st May 1997 and of the incredible hope and optimism embodied in the appointment of Tony Blair after 18 years of Tory misrule under the despot Thatcher and Edwina Curry's unlikely bit on the side, John Major. Blair enjoyed a lot of goodwill for many years, but inevitably, as seems normal these days, left under a cloud. :frown:

The best of luck to our American friends. I hope Mr Obama has the strength and the forces available to do what needs to be done. Respect

Oh, Thanks Marsh... Not sure if it does have the same feel of change (Blair being a middle aged white man and the USA certainly has had enough of them, LOL) but we got Aretha Franklin singing "My Country Tis of Thee" Wavey [COLOR="Blue"]PRETTY FUCKING COOL if ya ask me Spin3

I think that one has to remember that it is not up to Mr. Obama alone but to all Americans (who were told to simply go shopping in the time of Terrorism in the Bushit years) to ch ch ch change [/COLOR]