Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of electing the wrong guy? Worried about the next presidential elections in the USA?
:confused: I listen to the news here on France-Info and am appalled when I hear about some of the regressive steps that the United States legislators might take re gay marriage if a certain candidate makes it to the presidency. How do you feel about all this?

(feeling unsafe) PA

I dont follow the American elections. Never liked circus even as a kid :tongue:

Here is me again being a cynic but what i see is a bunch of puppets on a race of fulfilling dad's dream to see them president of USA and be the master puppet. Whoever is going to be the next president cant avoid to follow the same agenda imo.

What are the candidate's views on gay issues though? Who is against it? Rolleyes

all democratic candidates support civil union with adoption and immigration rights
practically this doesn't differ from marriage , just to not lose votes of semi- conservatives , u know American medicores take issues superficially

spotysocks Wrote:I dont follow the American elections. Never liked circus even as a kid :tongue:

Here is me again being a cynic but what i see is a bunch of puppets on a race of fulfilling dad's dream to see them president of USA and be the master puppet. Whoever is going to be the next president cant avoid to follow the same agenda imo.

What are the candidate's views on gay issues though? Who is against it? Rolleyes

Well Monsieur Huckabee seems to want to equate us with beasts... or animals, or things worse than I don't know. I always get edgy from thinking that possibly some stupid ars*h*le like that can take away our right to live normal healthy lives with the one(s) we love. It's not as if we're fishing in HIS pond, is it now?
(angry) :mad: PA

princealbertofb Wrote::confused: I listen to the news here on France-Info and am appalled when I hear about some of the regressive steps that the United States legislators might take re gay marriage if a certain candidate makes it to the presidency. How do you feel about all this?

(feeling unsafe) PA

Perhaps it's because I am sixty years old, but I don't think it really makes much difference. The President has very little to do with this issue. The Fifty states are where the action is, like with abortion.

The 50 states are far more powerful than Europeans think they are. The Federal government here usually keeps away from issues like this.

President Clinton kept far away from gay rights during his eight wasted years in the White House.

I honestly do not believe that Barrack Obama would do any more for gay people than Bill Clinton or Hillary Clinton. They talk a good game, but when the chips are down, they run and hide from gay people.

If I were truly interested in my rights as a gay man, I would move to Canada, perhaps British Columbia, Vancouver perhaps. However, being a native Californian I would probably freeze to death in Canada.

jim

Jim Wrote:Perhaps it's because I am sixty years old, but I don't think it really makes much difference. The President has very little to do with this issue. The Fifty states are where the action is, like with abortion.

The 50 states are far more powerful than Europeans think they are. The Federal government here usually keeps away from issues like this.

President Clinton kept far away from gay rights during his eight wasted years in the White House.

I honestly do not believe that Barrack Obama would do any more for gay people than Bill Clinton or Hillary Clinton. They talk a good game, but when the chips are down, they run and hide from gay people.

If I were truly interested in my rights as a gay man, I would move to Canada, perhaps British Columbia, Vancouver perhaps. However, being a native Californian I would probably freeze to death in Canada.

jim

He's both right and wrong

He's right in that the democratic party has a very weak position on gay rights, but that position is based on the general opinion of the American People. He's wrong when he says the President of the United States cannot do a whole lot. The President can provide moral leadership to the country, even though he doesn't pass laws or change the decisions of the states, but his position can bring others with it. It is my hope that President Obama, whom I voted for, will start the process of bringing the country towards a more friendly environment for gays. We shall see.
Richard

ardus Wrote:The President can provide moral leadership to the country, even though he doesn't pass laws or change the decisions of the states, but his position can bring others with it. It is my hope that President Obama, whom I voted for, will start the process of bringing the country towards a more friendly environment for gays. We shall see.

I hope you are right. I also hope that the President Elect's choice of pastor (Rick Warren) to give the invocation at his inauguration is merely an occasional lapse of judgment, not a sign of things to come.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I sincerely hope that Obama does not turn out like the Clintons did, all talk and no action.

His pick of that Evangelical to deliver the invocation on January 20 is a true slap in the face, especially to the gays who voted for Obama.

Perhaps he has been making "Slip ups" because he is distracted by the Illinois governor selling Obama's senate seat.Invasion

I would have prefered the Reverend Jeremiah (god damn America) Wright, who was Obama's pastor for twenty years.

Is this the "Change we can Believe in"?
I doubt it.

Jim Wrote:His pick of that Evangelical to deliver the invocation on January 20 is a true slap in the face, especially to the gays who voted for Obama.

I have no doubt that Obama sees himself as a 'big-tent politician'. If he is to succeed in doing this at a national level then he must successfully reach out to Evangelical Christians. If he is to do this then he needs to bring on board 'progressive' (by Evangelical standards) leaders of Evangelical thought/opinion and from what I read Rick Warren belongs to that small group. The trouble with 'big-tent politicians' is that no one really knows what their real priorites are, what's not up for compromise. This often includes the politician himself. In trying to reach out to one group he has excluded another group.

I hope that Obama knows what his priorities are and that in a lapse of judgement he felt that he could cancel out the negative effect of having Rick Warren give the invocation by having the benediction given by a pastor well known for his pro-gay views (Lowery)
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.