Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off For Fourth Surgery - 31st Dec 2012
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jay Smile

All the best for the new year Bighug

I wish you all the best Jay. Happy new year. Smile

First of all: good luck with the surgeries (I don't know you but still!)

Secondly: Thanks for being a reasonable human being! Whilst I personally reject any form of shallowness, I guess I won't judge someone for wanting an attractive partner. However it does kind of disgust me when a truly excellent human being is rejected because he/she's considered "too ugly".

People who reason like that kind of disturb me. What's even worse, very few people admit to being shallow and instead pretend that they care about personality when they obviously don't. Your post really cheered me up! Smile

Hi there folks. Thank you for the well wishes.

I'm still in the hospital but the surgery has been cancelled by my surgeon as he is ill. He doesn't want to take the risk to proceed with the surgery whilst he is not doing well.

I will be discharged in a few hours.

Next Surgery

My surgeon and I had a meeting just now. He apologized for cancelling the surgery. Then he dropped a bombshell - He's going to resign and shift to a different hospital in a different state on next year. He's leaving somewhere around March.

My surgeon then suggested me to do the surgery on this January. But unfortunately, I am not able to. My January is jam packed and has been fully reserved for a Hong Kong project. My boss told me that I am only free on February, March and December 2013.

My surgeon said he will call me back on early January to see if there is an empty slot on either February or March. If not, I will have to postpone my surgery to next December 2013.

Obviously I need a new surgeon to replace him if I plan to do my surgery on next December. He gave me three choices to choose -
  • I can do the surgery at the hospital where he is going to be relocated. The new hospital is a fully private hospital though. So the cost is more expensive. Eg. $4000+- in current hospital for one surgery vs $30,000+- in that private hospital for the same surgery
  • He can refer me to his friend who works in a nearby hospital (A general hospital). The drawback is I have to wait longer since it's a public hospital.
  • I can continue to do the surgery in the current hospital with his co-surgeon, Ms Farah. Both of them did my previous surgeries.
As much as I want him to do it, I am not able to go to his new hospital due to the location and also cost. I already spent approximately $10,000 within just a year (For three surgeries).

So if he's not available, I choose to go with Ms. Farah.

One Night in Hospital

As I've told Daz in SMS, the hospital ward was deserted. There were only five patients around. Two of them were disabled young teenagers.

They thought I was arrogant because I didn't smile at them when I arrived. I explained to them that I felt awkward coming to back to the hospital.

Both of them apologized for assuming as such. I introduced myself to them. I held my right hand to shake hand. They reached my hand and kissed it. It's a common gesture in our local culture for young ones to kiss the hand of the older ones. It's a way to show respect.

I spoke to one of their moms. According to her, both of them go to regular school. They don't go to a special school. Her son was struggling to gain confidence and self esteem though. Her son doesn't have ears. The other one has malformed face.

Both teenagers, the mom and I sat on my bed chatting and laughing from afternoon until midnight. The teenagers were eager to hear my weight loss story and surgeries. They also know that I have injured my left leg. They asked me a lot of questions. I also let them played with my Iphone and Ipad.

I was touched by them when they told me that see me as their hero. They think it's very inspiring to see how I managed to overcome a lot of obstacles since I was a kid until now. I was also bullied terribly when I was a teenager due to my imperfection - injured leg and obesity.

Then the same teenager (without ears) handed me his burger. His mom bought 3 burgers. One for him, his mom and the other disabled teen.

They all know that I don't eat fattening/fried food. But the kid insisted. "Just this once, please... You can go back in shape, running and exercise after you leave the hospital"

I don't want to break the kid's heart. So three of us ate our burgers (Cheese, mayo etc.) on my bed.

They know that I haven't touched burger since year 2005. "So how does it taste? Considering that you haven't touched it for years." The kid asked.

It took me few minutes to find the right word. "Hmm... it tastes ... weird."

We all laughed.

The kid asked for my permission to hold my hand. I asked him why. He said because he wants to get my good luck, blessing and strength.

I was touched again. I smiled at him. I didn't cry.

All three of us exchanged our phone numbers. They asked me to give them a call from time to time. They see me as their big brother now.

I gave both of them brotherly hugs before all of us went to sleep.

That is all.

Anyway, thank you for the good wishes everyone. I'm not disappointed that the surgery has been cancelled. It's better not to take the risk. At least now I have more time to get in a superior shape before the new surgery pops into my schedule.

Thank you again, everyone.

Prayers brother.

We are stronger together than we are apart