Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Gender Identity and Labels - Educational Thread
For the Day of Silence at my school, I created a dictionary which includes elaborate definitions of most terms on Sexuality and Gender Identity. I know I haven't been on in a long time and probably have no idea what's going on on here, but I thought it might be cool to post the part about Gender Identity on here, as I've been told that the forum needs more educational posts about gender. I don't claim that this is a full list or is 100% correct, so any additions or corrections are absolutely welcome. I hope this thread can become an educational source. As a trans man, I welcome any questions personally, as well. :]
--------

Gender Identity is one’s personal idea or experience of their own gender. Generally, this is a person’s sense of where they stand on the gender spectrum. A major misconception many people hold is that the terms sex and gender are interchangeable. While “sex” refers to one’s biological traits, “gender” stands for a person’s internal perception of whether they are male, female, somewhere in-between or something entirely different, regardless of their physical features and genitals. It’s important to understand that gender is not binary. In other words, not everyone is simply either male, or female. There is a wide variety of gender identities because the concept is even more complex and fluid than sexuality. Many factors from one’s personality and inner life, as well as their environment can play a role in the shaping of one’s gender identity, but we do not choose our gender.
Gender is fluid and could change over time. No gender identity is unnatural or “freaky”.
Some people prefer pronouns different from the typical male or female pronouns (ex. “he”, “she”, “him”, “her”Wink. There is a variety of gender neutral pronouns which some people prefer to use, but “it” is not one of them. If you feel that the gender identity of someone you’ve just met might not fit into the traditional genders, you should politely ask for their preferred pronouns so as not to offend them in a conversation. Moreover, if you accidentally offend someone based on their gender identity, it’s best to apologize and not dwell on the mistake, so as not to cause discomfort or trigger dysphoria for the person.

Gender dysphoria refers to a feeling of strong discomfort caused by one’s sex identifying physical features. In other words, someone who was born in a male body but identifies as female on the inside might feel dysphoric, severely uncomfortable by their flat chest. On the other hand, someone who was born in a female body but identifies as male might feel dysphoric because of the presence of developed breasts. Dysphoria can be extremely dangerous for one’s physical health. It can be triggered by many factors.
It’s very important to remember that it’s okay not to feel comfortable in your body and that wanting to have a different sex is not a psychological disorder or a phase one goes through. People who want to modify their body in order for it to represent their gender identity better have a variety of options about procedures that can help in shaping their physical self. Below is a list of terms used to define different gender identities. Many people choose not to label their gender identity since, much like sexuality, it is too complex and fluid to fit in a simple definition.

Cisgender (or cissexual) – this term refers to people who identify with their assigned at birth sex. In other words, if, for example, they were born in a male body, they feel that their gender is male, too. This is not to say, however, that cisgender individuals cannot express traits or behavior typical for another gender. Dressing in drag, or cross-dressing are examples of such behavior. Just because someone likes to cross dress on occasion does not mean that they are not cisgender. It’s vital to remember that just because cisgender is the most common gender worldwide, it’s not the only one natural, valid or right.

Transgender or trans* - this term refers to anyone who feels that their gender differs in some way from their sex, and to people who stray from conventional gender roles. The term is more inclusive and refers to a variety of gender identities found all across the gender spectrum or outside it. It is often more closely associated with the male and female aspects of the spectrum, as well as with physical transitioning.
  • Transphobia – a negative attitude towards individuals who are not cisgender and do not conform to traditional gender identities. Similarly to homophobia, transphobia also poses serious danger to trans* individuals. Many people every year are verbally and physically assaulted because of their gender identity and some even become victims of murder. While many institutions have adopted ways to fight homophobia, transphobia is still not nearly as widely recognized as an issue and trans* individuals continue suffering from it every day. Feeling uncomfortable around somebody just because they’re trans* is irrational most of the time. Although it’s okay not to like trans* people, it’s not okay to bash anyone in any way based on their gender identity.

Transsexual – a term referring to people who feel that their biological sex conflicts drastically with their gender. Transsexual people often feel uncomfortable in their bodies and seek medical opportunities to acquire traits of the opposite sex. This term includes the Male-to-Female/MtF and Female-to-Male/FtM individuals. Gender reassignment surgery is available to transsexual people in various degrees. For example, an FtM individual can choose to start hormonal therapy with testosterone which will induce the appearance of male characteristics. Transsexual people are often targeted as “freaks”; transsexualism, however, is completely natural and not a disorder of any kind. Assaulting transsexual people, be it verbally or physically, is transphobic.
Genderqueer – another inclusive term for people whose gender is different from the typical perceptions of binary gender and cisgender. In contrast to transgender, however, genderqueer is more often associated with genders which are more neutral or closer to the middle of the gender spectrum. It is not so often associated with physical transitioning.

Androgyny – term referring to people who posses both masculine and feminine characteristics in regard to their behavior, fashion style, sexual lifestyle or biological sex (intersex). Androginous people may prefer neutral pronouns. It’s important to remember that they’re not confused and their gender identity should be respected.

Agender – refers to people who don’t identify with any gender. This doesn’t mean they don’t have a gender or are confused.

Bigender – refers to people who identify with both masculine and feminine genders.

Third Gender – a concept applying to people who don’t indentify as male or female, but instead prefer a gender common to cultures which recognize three or more genders. For instance, the Hijra people in India are a large community composed of people who may be born as Intersex or apparently male, but dress in feminine clothes and see themselves as neither men nor women.

Trigender – refers to people who don’t identify as neither male, not female, but not androgynous either.

Neutrois – refers to people who feel that they fall outside the gender binary and may want to construct their own third (or fourth etc.) gender or identify as agender.

Gender Fluid – refers to people who feel that their gender identity changes over time or according to the specific situation/time.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some people don’t care about pronouns or labels and won’t mind any pronouns you use (except for “it”Wink. Nevertheless, the way they see themselves might depend on their mood and they might prefer being referred to in a certain way on some days. Their identity should be respected.

How do I figure out my gender? – If you feel that there is some discrepancy between your sex and the way you feel about your gender, figuring out your gender identity might be a tough process. Think about how you like to dress, your behavior and the way you see you inner self. Ask yourself if you’re comfortable in your body – all the time, most of the time, sometimes or ever. Don’t rush into labeling yourself if you’re not sure. Take as long as you need to explore your gender and try different things related to gender identity (i.e. clothes, haircuts, accessories). Remember that you will usually need to state your biological sex to institutions and such, and that a big part of the world won’t be too comfortable with you if you don’t conform to the gender binary, but don’t despair and keep following your own path.

This. Is. Amazing.

Thank you!

Thank you so much! I hope it's helpful!! :]]]

I wanna bring this back up and ask people to add anything if they have something to add and yeah.

I wanted to ask about cisgender/cissexual. Can you share more about how a bi-curious straight guy into cross dressing thinks & feels? :confused:

I was with one once, back when I was 19 (so was he). I'm simply not awake enough to explain it, and I've lost touch with him about 10 years ago. We were lovers for months and sometimes he was fully a guy and other times we'd pretend he was a woman. (Back then I was a bi-curious lesbian "boi"--not to be confused with gay male "boi"--and I think we were both too intrigued not to explore the meaning of gender at the time from our own personal perspectives.)

I've been wanting to put a character like him in a story, and my stories focus on shifting points of view (that is, each character expresses their view on the world which can radically differ from other characters), but I don't know how to accurately represent how he views the world and reacts to women so that it's messing me up. Can you help me understand how it works mentally?

Oh this is pretty cool! The semantics are different in my native language so I always have a hard time telling some of these terms apart.

just you
You can temporarily change your hair color but not a permanent fix, would it not be better, less bother to just personally respect the person you are. In the last few years things have changed quite a lot but just 5-10 years ago things were a lot different.
We have seen some wonderful parents post here on gaySpeak how they want to address the needs of their children at an early age. If your your past has not included this its a must to do it for your self today. first step is figure just who you are.

others
people's sexuality and identity vary just like hair color and anything else. There is a proper usage of "pronouns or labels" and to date not a bad to say someone has black brown red hair. You cant love all of gods creations. The difference is you must respect. The gay community has had a difficult childhood, and we expect to be dis respected, just saying we can better understand each other.

Thank you for that post SlipknotRlZZ.

Smile

Pix Wrote:I wanted to ask about cisgender/cissexual. Can you share more about how a bi-curious straight guy into cross dressing thinks & feels? :confused:

I was with one once, back when I was 19 (so was he). I'm simply not awake enough to explain it, and I've lost touch with him about 10 years ago. We were lovers for months and sometimes he was fully a guy and other times we'd pretend he was a woman. (Back then I was a bi-curious lesbian "boi"--not to be confused with gay male "boi"--and I think we were both too intrigued not to explore the meaning of gender at the time from our own personal perspectives.)

I've been wanting to put a character like him in a story, and my stories focus on shifting points of view (that is, each character expresses their view on the world which can radically differ from other characters), but I don't know how to accurately represent how he views the world and reacts to women so that it's messing me up. Can you help me understand how it works mentally?

In this case, I guess, sexuality and gender identity are related. To be honest, this is a very specific situation and I don't think anyone but him can know how he really saw the world. Some people just like to cross dress every now and then, you know? It doesn't necessarily mean they feel uncomfortable in their body all the time or at all. Perhaps he felt that he has some more expressed feminie characteristics to his personality and self and cross dressing is the way he liked to bring them out to the physical world. Maybe in time he decided to label himself with something more neutral, maybe he is content with how he was back then.

As a writer myself I'd advise you to just write his character the way you think he is/was and develop him in directions you see fit. :]

Finally I managed to finish reading this thread. Urm,more labels I guess,oh dear. I've never considered the possibility of gender being this complex,I'm just surprised to discover so much more exist. Thanks for this very educational thread.

I'm not rushing into labeling my self,but from my understanding,perhaps I'm androgynous? Still,I'm comfortable with labeling my self as just male.