Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing Appitieite
I think dealing with the snacking and eating because I'm bored or whatever.... You'd think I could find something to do with all the things I am into...

I also remember talking to someone about "savory" recipes using oatmeal.... Never tried it, not sure what would go good with oatmeal, but it is cheap and high in fiber and generally regarded as healthy and doesn't spoil in 10 minutes...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Yeah, [MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], try Googling Bittman savory oatmeal. Mark Bittman is an interesting food writer and cook who has a lot of common sense perspectives on food.

I think a lot of his oatmeal ideas would work very well with brown rice.

I have a small rice cooker that I got at Walgreen's for about 8 bucks. It will do brown rice or steel cut oatmeal and keep it warm for you so you don't have to worry about the timing. Great tool.
I bid NO Trump!

Ah yes, snacking. Steel cut oats is a good suggestion.

Try carrots. If you don't want to wash or peel a carrot , get a bag of "baby" carrots. If you turn orange you are snaking on too many carrots.

Maybe rice cakes? It's crunchy but not a lot of carbs.

Cutting out the soda was a great step. If water is not your thing, make green tea or black coffee.

Eating out of boredom is a behavioral pattern that could be changed. You can ask yourself when you're reaching for a snack if you are eating out of boredom or out of hunger. (And then, if it turns out to be hunger, you can think about whether or not that hunger needs to be addressed or not.)

You could channel the inner geek in you and journal all your food consumption at fitday.com for example. That can be helpful at bringing consciousness into your eating habits. When a day's eating is in front of you on the screen, it gives you an opportunity to think about changes you can make.

OH, Honey! Let me introduce you to my friend: SaltWater w/ Lemon!

Peckish, but don't have time to eat? Drink a glass of saltwater w/ lemon juice! You won't get hungry again for at least an hour!
Just ate and finished your plate, but tempted to go for a second portion? Saltwater w lemon! Just a small (4oz) glass and you fill satisfyingly full!

*(Keep in mind, saltwater and lemon juice are both diuretics. Popular use in the late 60's and early 70's resulted in televised diet-shaming due to some dieters over-using saltwater w/ lemon and medical emergencies.)

~Beaux

Proportions, Beaux?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Proportions, Beaux?

I just take a 8 oz glass and fill it with water, then add ~1Tablespoon of salt and ~2Tablespoons of lemon juice. If you use sea-salt, rather than idolized, you need to add more (maybe double). HOWEVER, I really just "add-to-taste", basically just mixing it into something that isn't awful to drink . Too much salt can make it undrinkable. The lemon juice, in the right amount, should ~almost~ cover the taste of the salt.
I had a friend in Dallas turn me on to it and have been using it for years. An added bonus, is that it greatly reduces sweating as well! Smile
~Beaux

P.S. It (obviously) will make you thirsty. Feel free to drink another glass of regular water afterwards, it keeps you hydrated and further "fills" you!

It's simple just reduce what you eat, simple science really. Your body stores left over energy in the form of fat. So if you eat less than your body needs you star to burn off the left over energy. You don't need fancy diets or pills to lose weight, just less and make sure you are eating a normal healthy diet, five bits of fruit and vegetables a day or more.

Problem is, [MENTION=18789]artyboy[/MENTION], people like me who are diabetics have something called polyphagia. Google it. It's lots of fun.
I bid NO Trump!

artyboy Wrote:It's simple just reduce what you eat, simple science really. Your body stores left over energy in the form of fat. So if you eat less than your body needs you star to burn off the left over energy. You don't need fancy diets or pills to lose weight, just less and make sure you are eating a normal healthy diet, five bits of fruit and vegetables a day or more.

No not simple. Sure I can put an effort into eating less. Like I said it is easier said than done.

People over eat for many reasons... stress being the number one on the list, second reason is addicted to things like sugar, etc. Eating food is a primal instinct and unlike quitting smoking, it doesn't go away. I can't just eat one and walk away and pretend I feel satisfied.

If it were so simple then why are people all over the globe getting fat? I mean surely I'm not the only fat American who can't put the fucking fork down right?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:No not simple. Sure I can put an effort into eating less. Like I said it is easier said than done.

People over eat for many reasons... stress being the number one on the list, second reason is addicted to things like sugar, etc. Eating food is a primal instinct and unlike quitting smoking, it doesn't go away. I can't just eat one and walk away and pretend I feel satisfied.

If it were so simple then why are people all over the globe getting fat? I mean surely I'm not the only fat American who can't put the fucking fork down right?

Eating right is something you learn over time. Not something you can just do.

Well with me I'm not perfect but I've learnt to not buy foods I over eat on as I class it as a waste of money. Such as; hard cheese, cookies, pork crips(chips), chips etc. I just walk straight passed thoses areas of the shop.

I still eat these things sometimes but don't buy them in my weekly shop. Say once every 6 weeks.

Smoking I quit but I still have a cigar on my birthday once a year.

Maybe I'm lucky I can give up things.

But I do feel people who over eat do make excuses. I did when when I used to, still do lol.

With me it's lack of excise that is my main problem. It's very hard to lose weight. Trust me I know. I also as a kid had problems with eating. I was just not hungry. I used to not eat for a whole week. But since my disability has got worse Ive put weight on.

So from my point of view it's hard to understand why able bodied people are over weight.

My question is could it be something in the food it self that is making you hungry like nicotine in tobacco or caffeine in coffee?