Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One long, whiney shout into the abyss.
WARNING: Very long post up ahead. My apologies, and thank you in advance for reading.
So, I’m twenty three years old and I’ve never had any romantic experiences whatsoever. I’ve never had a kiss or had my hand be held or be given a flirtatious look… nothing. I’m not exactly sure why this is, but it hurts a lot and I don’t think it’s exactly normal. Due to various circumstances in my life and my past, I’ve always felt a bit separated from most people and the “common” human experience. It may be that this inherent feeling has somehow fed the lack of intimacy for me, but I’ve tried to remain open to possibilities and meeting new people. It’s always been a complete mystery how two people can discover that they share an attraction to each other and create a relationship. I don’t get it.
As one lonely day turns into another lonely day I gather the notion that “there’s someone out there for you” seems completely absurd. Most days I try not to dwell on it, but a lot of the time the loneliness and the feeling of “what is it about me that’s so unappealing” gets very intense and it’s difficult to function. I’ve forced myself to accept the possibility that it may never happen for me. It’s not that I’m completely hopeless, but those kinds of thoughts are inevitable. I don’t even think it’s a sexual frustration I feel anymore as much as a desire to know that there’s someone who would choose me as the one person they elect to spend their time with.
I don’t mean to create the impression that I’m this much of a downer all the time (which would certainly be quite the fella repellent). I’m really not. These are not feelings that I wear on my sleeve, or have even discussed with anyone ever. I would imagine I come off as pretty upbeat to most. But having not been a participant in this aspect of life has created a sense that there’s this giant gap of experience between me and my peers. I’m afraid that if someone ever does take an interest in me, I’ll be so completely unable to… I don’t know how else to put other than to be on the same level.
I joined this forum in one of my very low feeling moments in an attempt to connect to like minded people. In my so far limited interaction I have found that folks here are very kind and understanding. So I don’t know if I’m necessarily asking for advice or if this is just something I wanted to kinda get off my chest. Either way, thanks for reading this ridiculously long post.

I think your just being a drama king lol. Now considering the possibilities and juding how many people there are in the world, i personally believe that at some point in your life. Someone fell in love with you. they might've eventually given up- moved on- found someone else they could speak to easier- etc etc. wether you asked for advice or not, i at least want to give my thoughts.

I am 21- never had my hand held either. and the only kiss i ever had- was stolen from me when this older guy took advantage of me. but yet i still have perfect hope that i will find someone. you just need to keep your mind open. you can fall in love with ANYONE. at any given moment. be alert. quit wasting time blubbering, and pay attention to your surroundings. love is there. you just have to find that lonely face in the crowd. you know how it looks. cold- indifferent- sad. sounds like what i look at everytime i look in the mirror! anyway. you just need to know the right questions to ask, and how to really squeeze a personality out of someone. i would explain how to do it, but i my break my fingers typing it all.

You are correct. I understand that these thoughts are irrational. An hour and a half later after making this thread and I see how very needy this is. Sorry everyone, ignore it. I'm embarrassed.:redface:

dont be, sometimes we need a chance to let it out. being single isnt that easy.

Toby, first of all, we're ALL in this boat together; You made this thread for a reason, and don't feel embarrassed about it! It's ok, to need to vent, and get those feelings out, never let anyone make you feel that you're invalid for acting from your heart, or head! In fact, if more guys DID wear their hearts on their sleeve, (and NOT in the maudlin, histrionic, theatrics we know that some gay men succinctly depict are so "LOVED" for lol ) they'd warrant more respect, and find a deeper sense of self-appreciation; being emotionally authentic with yourself isn't something to fret, or downplay; most people (especially in the gay world) spend so much of their time programming themselves to be 'gay' that they forget that that is secondary only to being emotionally, mentally and physically congruent, and happy with themselves....they sacrifice their individuality in order to belong in the collective community, and this is really owed to millions of years of biological evolution of the human species; when we're fearful or lonely we try to take on the traits of people that we find socially successful so we can blend in with the "pack" that is society, and reduce our focus on our internal fears...there's power in numbers as they say no?

The point is, You are NEVER doing anything wrong in being YOURSELF Smile As a matter of fact, I think shallow people on the whole are unattractive; They contribute nothing towards human evolution, reaching their FULL potential, and don't even bother to take pride in the civic, and social responsibility to give back to the world at large; instead, they continue their meager lives day in and day out, until the clock stops on them; you aren't living a FULL life if you deny what you feel, or down play it to seem "cool"....

I pity people who do this; they sacrifice their own VOICE in order to have people like them....I have MUCH more respect for you for knowing what you feel, and are ATTEMPTING to reach out in order to correct it than I do for the macho, self-absorbed gay guy who pumps iron to rid himself of the stigma, and inadequacy of being "less than a MAN" in the eyes of the straight world and gay community, or the effeminate man who hides behind his excessive flamboyance to cover up feelings of inadequacy....

Just continue being a person who is fully in tune with himself, and you'll be surprised with the great people you'll find, and flock to you; and your life will be a HELL of alot more interesting because you're taking part in it in EVERY WAY......anyone can be gay.........a real man can do it, and juggle being himself Smile