Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OneRepublic - Oh My My
In October, OneRepublic released their 4th studio album Oh My My. I just received it today and I have a few impressions to share.

[Image: OneRepublic_-_Oh_My_My.jpg]

When you first start in on Oh My My you can’t quite comprehend what it is you’re hearing. You wait for the music to finally get going, and yet it’s already there — unnoticeably, imperceptibly — having long arrived at its defining moment. It's like flying without a bearing in the stranger skies of the night.

It almost feels as if Tedder has invented a new musical genre altogether, so new and unique are his sounds and rhythms, if not in themselves then in combination. The music has somewhat of a pastoral taste to it (in a wholly urban tech flavor). It’s quiet and calm, and yet its intensity is undeniable. The beat is unbelievably slow without imparting such near-stillness to the music itself.

I expected nothing like this from their new album. Certainly not such a dominant low-key character to a major release like this one. Not this neglect of pop potential that Tedder knows how to master so exceptionally. It’s half-exploratory, barely feels serious, and yet it is recognizably a work of genius.

This is probably the most ingenious musical achievement in these last few years, proudly alongside Manson’s The Pale Emperor. Those who expect material like what was on Native and Waking Up will be gravely disappointed for there is nothing like that - at all - here. This is completely new, uncharted territory. You feel like an explorer of a new world. It is a pioneering music if ever there was such a thing.

Tedder deserves all the appreciation for having the guts to break with the history of his band and branch out in a wholly new bearing. More so, since he has succeeded in delivering a strong album full of powerful individual sound. My respect for this guy just went up even more. He has already established himself as one of the most talented musicians of our time, with Oh My My, Tedder proves he's also possibly most visionary of our time. There seem to be no limits to what he can work with.

--
I recommend you guys to check it out if you get the chance.

Two of my favorites:

''Do I look civilized to you?''

Don't like their hair though

I finally got to the end of the album and discovered this beautiful piece there:

Just listen to those sounds! And that pacing! Does that not take your breath away? It takes my breath away so that I'm left utterly captivated and amazed at the sublimity in this music...

----

[MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION] [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] [MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION] [MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] [MENTION=20938]Gideon[/MENTION] [MENTION=20359]Cuddly[/MENTION] [MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] [MENTION=21778]Lexington[/MENTION] [MENTION=14580]CellarDweller[/MENTION] -- I'm forcing you (as much as is within my power using the mention function of this site) to listen to this, since I think this music needs to be promoted and exposed to people who are not yet exposed to it. It's penetrating into my soul...it can't leave you guys cold....

I can't see it here now, I'm at work, so the video is blocked.

I'll check it out when I get home.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

meridannight Wrote:I finally got to the end of the album and discovered this beautiful piece there:

Just listen to those sounds! And that pacing! Does that not take your breath away? It takes my breath away so that I'm left utterly captivated and amazed at the sublimity in this music...

----

[MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION] [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] [MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION] [MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] [MENTION=20938]Gideon[/MENTION] [MENTION=20359]Cuddly[/MENTION] [MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] [MENTION=21778]Lexington[/MENTION] [MENTION=14580]CellarDweller[/MENTION] -- I'm forcing you (as much as is within my power using the mention function of this site) to listen to this, since I think this music needs to be promoted and exposed to people who are not yet exposed to it. It's penetrating into my soul...it can't leave you guys cold....

I've been a One Republic fan for years.
~Beaux

Never heard of them. I like Lift Me Up the best out of those three, and I like the beat on Better. Not the typical type of music I like, but it's good to hear something new. Thanks for sharing it.

Emiliano Wrote:Never heard of them. I like Lift Me Up the best out of those three, and I like the beat on Better. Not the typical type of music I like, but it's good to hear something new. Thanks for sharing it.

I promote music I think is above the best and stands out in some way.

Never heard of OneRepublic? Not even this one? :

meridannight Wrote:I promote music I think is above the best and stands out in some way.

Never heard of OneRepublic? Not even this one? :

I have heard that song, but I didn't realize who wrote it.

I'm not really a music person to begin with. If I want to fill silence I usually put on a podcast. And even when I do listen to music, it's not typically contemporary. And I'm more into soul/rnb when it comes to modern music than rock/alternative type stuff. There's really just 3 or 4 modern musicians that I feel strongly about.

I liked what you posted though, the counting stars song not so much.

Emiliano Wrote:I liked what you posted though, the counting stars song not so much.

Yeah, their new album is completely different from their previous releases (Counting Stars is from their previous album Native). It's like it's been made by two different bands. Tedder is very versatile (he's also the same guy who wrote Adele's Rumor Has It, by the way. In fact, he's written half the best mainstream material out there in the past few years).

This album is analogous to the material on Manson's The Pale Emperor, in the sense that even if you don't like OneRepblic or Manson, these albums are so different from what came before that previous material is not a criteria to go by.

Glad you liked it. I love Counting Stars as well, but I listen to that type of music a lot.

I know the band. Hell, I have Ryan's e-mail info in my contacts. Smile

Lex