Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Human
JisthenewK Wrote:I speak my mind a lot. I post pictures and videos of Kathy Griffin (anti-Jesus comedian) and quotes a lot of pro-gay and anti-religion quotes on my Facebook wall. Some deleted me, but I didn't care. One person told me I was being too pushy. So it's okay to post Jesus and shove it down my throat, but not okay to post atheist things? I wasn't trying to convert anyone. I have a Christian family and I can't express these views to them. My Facebook is a good place to do so and I love it!

Learning to assert yourself with confidence and maintain the balance of respect and dignity is a great way to develop an awesome character. Being true to yourself is likely a prerequisite for that! So I respect your willingness to even give a shit at your age. When I was 17 I couldn't have cared LESS what others thought of my assertions! You are admirable.

As for Facebook, it is a wonderful extension of my life with my family and friends. I keep my personal FB PERSONAL with no "friends of friends" or public BS. My timeline has my entire family history documented in pics and music and poetry and quotes and all sorts of other tid bits that endear the site for how I use it. My family and friends often express gratitude for being encouraged by visiting my FB Timeline. BUT, then just like Blue notes, the pseudo pages are the only way to use FB for the more public or controversial stuff. I maintain one of these too, just so I can use it as a tool too, but I am very careful to respect my own boundaries between my personal and the psuedo. Sagrin

A man who learns himself and holds true with respect and dignity is worth his weight in gold! So hang in there and stay open!!!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

JisthenewK Wrote:For anyone who doesn't know me and my firm beliefs (which I doubt there are any of you who DON'T at this point), I am an atheist and I believe in rights, not only for gays, but for each person who is being denied them. I have been told by some friends that come across as "arrogant, pushy, and a know-it-all." Is this true? I may be this way, but I'm only doing so, because I used to get walked on, before I was like this. At this point, I would rather fight. I might be a "know-it-all," but I'm 17, so what? What is so wrong with giving society a piece of my mind? :mad:

Good for you! If you dont' stand for something you will fall for anything.

I find it to be a double standard how these religious people can post pics saying "Like for Jesus, ignore for Satan" or "You will go to Hell if you don't believe." I feel as though I should be able to express my views. I don't criticise them for believing, so why should they criticise me. One even went so far as to call me a "douchebag" for my passionate posts on atheism. I didn't do anything to anyone that was meant to harm. It just happens to be something I like.

Experiencing and dealing with double standards will be a constant in life. We all have them and experience them in those around us. It's to be expected when you are HUGELY a product of your historical environment and life is SO full of misinformation, lore, rumor and irrational beliefs.

How you choose to react versus respond will be the key to being able to recognize your own double standards, develop your choices and endure/cope with them. This in turn will strongly influence your abilities for influencing change and growth in the world! It takes courage to dare to make a difference for the good and that is VERY attractive! Smile

It's also more important than whose opinion is right or wrong.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Good for you mate.Xyxthumbs

I think you will find this enlightening:

And to add to that: self-serving bias. Just keep in mind that ego and self-serving bias is something we ALL have to put up with to one extent or another (some just a little and can see past it with little effort while others drown in it).

I don't much understand it, though. I once believed (I'm agnostic about it today) a vision I had of Freya meant Freya was absolutely real and She'd Sung my soul into existence. I didn't care that others didn't believe in Her or in my experience. Of course when others (usually a Christian, but not just them) dismissed my experience and faith out of hand while promoting their own (if they were honest they'd have said, "MY God and Heaven are real and you're closed minded if you refuse to believe as I do as my beliefs are obvious to any rational person, but YOUR goddess and Her heaven are obviously fake and you're deluded because you believe in a different subjective and unprovable reality than my own") then I got snarky (but more sardonic than contemptuous), but as I was a teen at the time I think I can be excused. Wink

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Only human - Speak for yourself round ears! :eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

Beautiful! Rofl

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Only human - Speak for yourself round ears! :eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

think someone has read Dragon's Gold, Serpent's Silver and Chimaera's Copper by Piers Anthony and Robert Margroff per chance :tongue:

Now arrogance annoys me, but what annoys me even more is ignorance. Now im done studies in this area so bare with me whilst i try and explain.

I live in a town where so called Multi-culture co insides, the leaders of the town and country are under ignorance because they only see whats on paper.

The same can be said for religion sometimes, because is it all in a book? on paper?

Now i am not a atheist and i do have faith in some form or another, but my faith is for me. To try and rid the world of faith and religion would actually destroy it, as law and order was built upon faith. but thus this is where the problem lays.

Along the years the messages. Yes thats what they are, Messages! have been lost, and so people who read into faith like its a taboo, rather than taking the morale prospective faith was intended.

You see through the ages prophets did exists and strange "miricles" occurred around them that no one could explain, thus giving foundation to those who take words in a holy book literally to this day.

The bible says god sent messages to earth as a guidance to man kind. keyword Guidance

The thing that stands out the most and in all holy books this occurs, is the contradictions.

The bible says that being gay is wrong, but also goes on to say that god gives us the feelings we have.

So that to say that god condemns a gay man or woman before they were born, i highly doubt that!

Its just like god wants to be worshipped all the time, worship is a form of respect, you dont need to go to a holy building every sunday to respect someone. The expression "i worship the ground you walk upon" is a romantic gesture it does mean the person going to build a church and worship you everyday, it means they have utter respect for you.

The point here is, its the ignorance of the world that lost the meanings within what has been passed down the years to the younger generations. Its the ignorance that is forming bi est opinions and points of view.

So i do what you do dude, im blunt and to the point, i dont beat around the bush with people because doing so is to be ignorant. Telling people what you think of them, would imo be more of a act of mercy sometimes because in todays world they need a wake up call, a slap in the face.

I hate having to live my life in fear for my life because of where i live due to the ignorance of the government, which is why i plan on moving away, preferably far away from where i am now.

No i think you have the right opinion and right frame of mind, and it doesn’t matter whether you believe in something or not, its remembering what it morally right.

I say right on dude! &^.^

JisthenewK Wrote:For anyone who doesn't know me and my firm beliefs (which I doubt there are any of you who DON'T at this point), I am an atheist and I believe in rights, not only for gays, but for each person who is being denied them. I have been told by some friends that come across as "arrogant, pushy, and a know-it-all." Is this true? I may be this way, but I'm only doing so, because I used to get walked on, before I was like this. At this point, I would rather fight. I might be a "know-it-all," but I'm 17, so what? What is so wrong with giving society a piece of my mind? :mad:

Often a homophobe will say the most disturbing thing and defend it by stating that it is his opinion. The thing is, when someone gives you their opinion of you, and it is very low, and you then give them your opinion telling them you disagree, only to have them say you were attacking their opinion, is a hypocrisy. As for your atheism, here is what the most annoying atheist the world has ever known has to say:
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”
-Christopher Hitchens

Blue Wrote:Take a hard look at yourself and what you are doing, then decide if you really are being pushy or not.

QFT
This is golden.

I will quote a far superior man to bolster the point, as any of my own words would be insufficient.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."