Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only two genders?
i hear what Cowboy says and been even way older than him my gen would say men/women and thats it really - but who am i to say whats correct - at the moment it comes down to reproduction at the very basics - you need a man and a woman to reproduce - but i feel like with cross genders etc then im in favor of people to be who they feel they are - this is probably gonna be much less of a subject in the next 20 years , its just gonna be acceptable to identify to what you feel

We only have two genders.

Neurologically it's not possible to be anything other than either male or female. Prenatal testosterone exposure determines the male sex/gender in the brain. If there isn't a sufficient and correctly-timed testosterone exposure, you're left with female sex/gender. So, physiologically it's not possible to be some ''third'' gender. You either get testosterone influence or you don't. Neurologically it's as simple as that.

Some people are just after a unique identity or something to set them apart from others. That's at the root of this phenomenon. It's not physically backed up.

And, gender in not a social construct either. It's innate, like sexuality is. Parents (the environment) don't cause their kids to be male or female any more than they cause their kids to be heterosexual or homosexual. Biology determines your gender in advance and it mostly agrees with your genitals (like sexuality).
''Do I look civilized to you?''

We are running into a matter of terminology that is hard for old farts like me. I am OK with folks who identify as transgender but it is difficult to know just how to address and refer to them. It will just take some time to work out the language.
I bid NO Trump!

meridannight Wrote:We only have two genders.

Neurologically it's not possible to be anything other than either male or female. Prenatal testosterone exposure determines the male sex/gender in the brain. If there isn't a sufficient and correctly-timed testosterone exposure, you're left with female sex/gender. So, physiologically it's not possible to be some ''third'' gender. You either get testosterone influence or you don't. Neurologically it's as simple as that.

Some people are just after a unique identity or something to set them apart from others. That's at the root of this phenomenon. It's not physically backed up.

And, gender in not a social construct either. It's innate, like sexuality is. Parents (the environment) don't cause their kids to be male or female any more than they cause their kids to be heterosexual or homosexual. Biology determines your gender in advance and it mostly agrees with your genitals (like sexuality).

I always appreciate someone who brings science into the discussion, though I never learned about the prenatal stages of life. Just as a devil's advocate, in Thailand there is a cultural recognition of a third gender. It's been around for quite some time, well before this explosion of exposure. Is this too just people trying to be different or is there really some unknown biological process going on?

meridannight Wrote:We only have two genders.

Neurologically it's not possible to be anything other than either male or female

How do we class hermaphrodites?, I understand that can happen thought its rare and they are actually sterile without functioning genitalia. We called them he-shes growing up but I never seen one.

[MENTION=23286]Confuzzled4[/MENTION] are you talking about ladyboys?

[MENTION=24266]Cowboy[/MENTION] yes I am. First learned about it from the Amazing Race.

labels are boring

Confuzzled4 Wrote:I always appreciate someone who brings science into the discussion, though I never learned about the prenatal stages of life. Just as a devil's advocate, in Thailand there is a cultural recognition of a third gender. It's been around for quite some time, well before this explosion of exposure. Is this too just people trying to be different or is there really some unknown biological process going on?

In some of the ancient cultures there was also a concept of ''third gender''. It is unclear what exactly it was meant by that, because it included men with homosexual orientation (who clearly do not constitute a different gender). In such ancient cultures there was an obvious confusion about and mixing up of sexuality and gender. (It may not have in fact been confusing to the individuals themselves, or even to the general populace in some cases. There may even have been e.g. men who loved men and still identified as male in such cultures, but lost to history; and I strongly believe that that was so).

Although I am not familiar with Thailand and its culture, the people there share the same physiology with the rest of the people on this planet. Thus, yes, the same physiological implications apply -- that there are only two genders for them as well.

The manner in which a culture recognizes one thing or another does not affect the underlying physiology. Do you agree with and understand that? If you understand it, then nothing in the world could be simpler. If we realize that testosterone determines the male gender, then we realize that it can and does happen to female fetuses occasionally with the resultant masculine gender identification in such adult individual (i.e. a transsexual person). Now, the culture does not change or affect any of these processes at work there. These processes are universal to the human race. What the culture/environment does, is define them and determine a space for such individuals according to the cultural ethical/moral values and standards. E.g. one of such cultural implications in this particular case is that the process appears as a malfunction to us, rather than a normal development. But in ancient Indian culture, such individuals were seen as shamans, and/or people with special spiritual abilities, etc. That was just the way the culture interpreted a simple biological quality, which in its bare essence in this case, would just be the exposure of testosterone at a right time, with no moral/ethical connotations whatsoever.

My point, where I am getting with this, is that the underlying physiology is the same, no matter how the culture/environment defines it. The culture can define the result in an xyz way, which is variable depending on the time and the geographical location. But whether we are talking about transsexual individuals in the 21st century West, about the ancient Indian third gender shamans, or Thailand's third gender individuals -- it's one and the same thing in the end. The only thing making them look different is the fact that they exist in a different cultural context. Like, when you put yellow juice into a blue glass it will appear green. But the juice is still yellow, the glass doesn't change that. It just makes it look green, which essentially is an illusion. Gender is that yellow juice in this analogy, and culture is blue drinking glass (or any other color). Juice has its own intrinsic unchangeable color, glass is the context, and depending on its color, it can make the juice appear a different hue than it really is. It's a perfect analogy.

This topic is additionally confusing in some instances, because some cultures confuse gender and sexuality not understanding that they are two different things. Thus, some cultures equate male homosexuals with females (ancient Rome can be quoted as an example), because their attractions/sexual practices are the same as/analogous to females'. But this is not in any way a correct interpretation, nor a fair one. The cultures got it wrong. Science doesn't change underneath, it's the culture that misinterprets it. The fact that cultures have missed such a crucial differentiation is one of the things making this topic so difficult for some people to understand.

I think West has arrived at the clearest definition on it, which in large part is due to a heavy reliance upon and understanding of science (which is the only thing that should be taken into consideration when defining gender). This is why I don't go by how Thailand defines the gender, or how ancient Rome defined male homosexuals. Because their cultural context is not transparent to it; like a blue glass with yellow juice it distorts it, it adds color -- it adds meaning and modifies definitions in the process. You have to see through those cultural biases. They are not real.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

Genders are subjective.

Sexes are objective and there are two of them. In our species.

Biologically, there is only male and female. People who are intersex are not a different sex, but rather have an anomaly that has caused them to have traits of BOTH sexes, not a new sex. Transgenders go from one gender to the other, again, not a new gender.
Gender traits, such as boys like blue, girls like pink, boys wear pants, girls wear skirts, etc., is purely a social construct. Some gender roles are purely a social construct, where as others are rooted in our biologic makeup. For example, patriarchal cultures that make women a slave class to men, like in ancient Greece or modern day Saudi Arabia, is a pure social construct. On the other hand, men being warriors is rooted in male testosterone, and women being nurturing is rooted in mothering instincts.
In our modern age, we can recognize how arbitrary such roles are, and can encourage people who are males and females to pursue whatever traits they desire, be it a boy liking pink and skirts, or a girl liking short hair etc. We can also recognize how unnecessary our biologic makeup is in things such as care giving and fighting, and encourage men to be care givers and women be warriors if they desire.
It is an insane notion to deny biologic sex. There are tenured professors who indoctrinate their students into believing there is no such thing as biologic sex, and you are labelled a bigot if you deny the obvious scientific fact that humans are born male or female.
We should all be supportive and accepting of people living as themselves, be it anywhere inside or outside the binary, but males and females have different bodies that require different medical attention. For example, I take minoxidil to help with hair loss, but it is only formulated for males, females must take a different formula or they will have problems. That's how insane these bleach haired SJWs are - they want a world where women take medicine that makes their hair fall out, and men take pills that make them grow breasts, because it is "sexist" for medical professionals to recognize if one is male or female.