Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openly gays in military.
What are your views on gays serving openly in the military, specifically in the USMC in an infantry unit?

I'm very surprised that you have even asked the question. Do you think that someone's sexuality has got anything at all to do with their ability to serve in the armed forces?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:I'm very surprised that you have even asked the question. Do you think that someone's sexuality has got anything at all to do with their ability to serve in the armed forces?

I never said sexuality had anything to do with performance. The question is a valid one of serving "openly" in unit types such as all male infantry units of the USMC. Lets not twist my question around.

If you know nothing about the military, then you wont understand my question's point.

I understand the question, but I have mixed feelings on this. Most of what I know of the military is through my exposure to those stationed at PSNS, Bangor, and NS Everett. I don't know how it is in other branches of the military, but from what I've observed of Navy men and their behavior, it's a big "Boy's Club" with a bit of "good ol' boy" added in.

Unfortunately, this means that in a lot of ways, gays aren't.... accepted fully. Hell, in a lot of ways women still aren't accepted fully and they've been fighting for equality for.. well, ever.

Temperatures are changing, acceptance is slowly growing, and I really -want- equality to be there and acceptance to be a comfortable and the "norm".... but I have my doubts that they're "there" yet.

*Shrugging*

If I were in the military? I'd be so fucking far in the closet you'd have to dig through every other skeleton I have before you'd find -that- one. Just sayin'.

I was in the Marine Corps a couple years back when DADT was still in effect. I told a close friend of mine I was gay and she told everyone, my gunny even knew. Nothing changed, people who were douchebags were still douchebags to me. I don't think anyone really cared. I feel the same way about an infantry unit. I don't think no one would really cares unless their that super religious type that wants smash everyone's head with rocks.

I know very little (nothing) about the military, but my same view applies too all things in life. Equality in everything, for everyone. What would be the problem with having a gay man in the USMC? Would he be too distracted to properly serve?

I love the spartan army thingie, about its immense strength coming from the male bonding between gay couples and how they would fight harder, because they didn't want their lover to consider them weak, as they fought side by side. Supposedly the gay army was the best army ever Wink
Although, that would be heterophobia at its worst! Imagine not allowing heterosexuals to serve, because they cannot properly appreciate the value of the life of the soldier next to them. That'd be tragic!

I was in during DADT. The best advice I can give is hold yourself to a higher standard of behavior than the rest of the guys and you will have their respect... for life.

I am displeased with modern society.

Used to be Society took it upon its self to protect its precious homosexuals by denying homosexuals from serving in the military, and from the horrors of divorce, I mean marriage.

Now society has turned traitor and is throwing the whole LGBT community under the bus and no longer protecting us from War and Marriage....

Its a horrible time, a sad time indeed when society ceases to view us as the precious, rare gems we really are and starta seeing us as expendable.....

This is all Canada's fault... Not only does Canada always sneak one of their fake quarters into every roll of American Quarters, they also brought around these notions that LGBT should not be protected from the horrors of War and Marriage.

Damned Canadians, I told you we can't trust them!

:biggrin:

Many Gays & Lesbians are serving "openly" in all 4 branches of the U.S. Military.

After the demise of DADT, there was concern over how the troops may react to this change, but those concerns were laid to rest when they realized no problems cropped up afterwards. Gays didn't suddenly come out of the woodwork and start ogling the straight men in the showers, they didn't start swishing around acting like little girls, they didn't make passes at their battle buddies in the fox holes,,, none of that happened. In fact, nothing happened,,,, Gays & Lesbians put on their uniforms each morning and did their job just like everyone else, except they no longer had to worry about being kicked out if someone discovered they were gay or lesbian.

Yes, there still is some homophobia in the military, but it is frowned upon by most military members.

For the most part, if you work hard and do a good job, have a good attitude and can handle a few jokes thrown your way,,, then you won't have any problems from other military members who know about your sexual orientation.

I am an old retired military fart with 20 years of service. Hopefully some of the active duty members will come along and give you a more up to date opinion than mine.
We Have Elvis !!

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I am displeased with modern society.

Used to be Society took it upon its self to protect its precious homosexuals by denying homosexuals from serving in the military, and from the horrors of divorce, I mean marriage.

Now society has turned traitor and is throwing the whole LGBT community under the bus and no longer protecting us from War and Marriage....

Its a horrible time, a sad time indeed when society ceases to view us as the precious, rare gems we really are and starta seeing us as expendable.....

This is all Canada's fault... Not only does Canada always sneak one of their fake quarters into every roll of American Quarters, they also brought around these notions that LGBT should not be protected from the horrors of War and Marriage.

Damned Canadians, I told you we can't trust them!

I GOTTA say, Thank you man...I was having a really shitty day, but you've got me smiling again Elkgrin