Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Massacre
himself Wrote:When I heard about it, it didn't occur to me that the killer might be a Muslim

It was the first thing that occurred to me.

The way I feel about the tragedy and massive loss of life aside, I think the ways this has been politicized has been interesting.

From how some reporters focus more on religion being the motivation, rather than homophobia:

To the hypocrisy of some of our lawmakers who claim now to support the LGBTQ community:

To the fact that this happened to people who fall under three pretty hot topic identities - gay, latino, and immigrant (including some who were apparently undocumented), and the way those identities are often discussed in the media and by politicians, and the sort of ramifications those could have.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...do/487010/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-varon...58302.html

And of course, how Trump has used this as a call to arms against Muslims and immigration.

Is it a more palatable narrative to be fed that this is about a Muslim terrorist rather than a homophobic one? As a country, is it easier to condemn Islam rather than homophobia? Can one honestly claim to stand in solidarity with the gay community only when tragedy happens, but not in our day to day lives? Are the identities of the people killed important to how the news is told, and what does this mean in terms of intersectionality in the gay community and some of the issues that are uniquely faced by gay latinos and gay immigrants? What support can be provided for those who were undocumented, or whose families are? And now the discussion that the shooter was closeted... what does this mean for closeted gays? What is their perspective on this?

Just things I've found interesting to think about. But overall, I'm still processing all this and don't have much more than that to contribute to the discussion.

It is possible that the murderer went to the disco well in advance of a plan, so that he'd be let in as usual. Otherwise a newcomer might have raised some suspicion, especially if he was frisked or seen to carry a weapon ? I don't know. But closeted or not, this is a terrible tragedy on more than one account.

He truly loathed himself.
He failed to become a police officer and just barely passed muster as a security guard.
His mental illness caused his wife to leave him after only a few months.
His father raised him to be extremely homophobic in the name of his faith and he was clearly not straight.
Combine all that with his bi-polar disorder and i honestly have a hard time hating this guy. If anything i want to see his father locked up in prison.

You know every country has nutters but the U.S is the only country that lets them have assault rifles.

im just praying for this tragedy ...

I'll share Anderson Cooper's post with you. Just one way of honouring the deceased. There's also a GoFund campaign going on to help the victims and their families.

Emiliano Wrote:...Just things I've found interesting to think about. But overall, I'm still processing all this and don't have much more than that to contribute to the discussion.
The world is full of brutality, pain and suffering. What I find interesting is how much of it we never hear about... or even when some utterly gut wrenching tragedy like this happens? People yap on and on and on about it, endlessly... and in the end? NOTHING changes. Not one damn thing. We go right back to living in our safe little imaginary world that says "nothing bad is happening, or, even if it is, it isn't happening to me or anyone I care about, or in any case not right now." Meanwhile our economy is permeated with the blood sweat and tears of human suffering. Not so much yours or mine, of course, so who cares.

I blame religion.

Religious people ARE capable of burning people to the stake for being different.

This hero risked his own life to save 70

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/15/thi...qus_thread
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

JohnMusic Wrote:I blame religion.

Religious people ARE capable of burning people to the stake for being different.

Are capable? Millions and millions, if not billions over the course of history have been killed for one reason or another over religion.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!