Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook Blocks News in Austrailia
The Australian government is considering legislation that would require platforms like Facebook and Google to pay news publishers a fee for the news content they distribute (and profit from) on their platform. Facebook has retaliated by blocking Australian users from seeing or sharing news on Facebook. Google has reached an agreement with the Australian government. Microsoft is applauding the proposal.

&ab_channel=CNN
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Sometimes clipping feathers is an act of love.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

It concerns me that Facebook has the ability to significantly impact so many people in their ability to get news and information, it is a stark reminder that these companies don't really care about freedom of speech or ideas.

I didn't read the legislation but suppose Andy shared a news article from an Australian news publisher here on GS, should Andy pay a fee? No, not in my opinion. So what's the difference between GS and Facebook sharing the same content on their websites? I feel like it ultimately controls what information gets shared and what doesn't, because if a company has to pay a fee to share it they're going to be even more inclined to share clickbait garbage than they do now.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Do people actually use FB still? I haven't used it in years.

Just stop using FB. I have and I feel better for it.

Vote with your feet???

I enjoy using Facebook, but I don't use it for a news source. Given the misinformation we've seen in spread in recent years, I would never rely on it for true news.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I found FB very down hearting. I'm not interested in how people are thinking. I left FB when the Brexit and the Trump campaign started. I also got bullied out of a FB group and the things one person tried to spread about be which wasn't true. I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Life is to short. I don't have time for FB.

(02-18-2021, 10:32 PM)artyboy Wrote: Do people actually use FB still? I haven't used it in years.

Just stop using FB. I have and I feel better for it.

Vote with your feet???

Yes, people are addicted to the drug that Facebook is. I don't "like" Facebook but there are some groups that can be useful but there is always an abundance of dumb people on the larger groups so it quickly becomes a drag. I started a Spiritual/Pagan group for people that are near me but it is difficult to get people to engage in anything more than sharing some meme that's been around in other groups and not what I was hoping or intending. Since, Facebook has basically taken over, it is difficult to find an active forum in other topics....take Pagan forums for instance, sure there are people there but it is difficult to find good conversation since the many of the forums aren't all that active.

Anyway, I agree, if I could somehow quit Facebook for good, I would probably be happier not spending ample time scrolling through a bunch of bullshit I don't like.

(02-18-2021, 10:39 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: I enjoy using Facebook, but I don't use it for a news source.  Given the misinformation we've seen in spread in recent years, I would never rely on it for true news.

I don't think anyone intends to use Facebook as a news source but since news publishers post their stories on Facebook, Facebook distributes it to everyone's "news" feed and people often find out something there. However, I completely agree, Facebook is not the place to get the news. There are so many pages setup that share nothing but "knee-jerk" political/news memes that barely qualify as a half truth and we saw that over the last 4 years and really much longer than that. Facebook, rather than try to quell all the fighting, trolling, bullying and the spread of false information they very much fanned the flames simply because it keeps people engaged on their platform.

So yeah, Facebook is terrible. I would much prefer the "old" internet when people could join communities, such as this, that were active with people and good content.
Check out my stuff!

I hope the fee is high enough to make the fascist Mark Suckerberg bankrupt!
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.

(02-26-2021, 08:38 PM)rado84 Wrote: I hope the fee is high enough to make the fascist Mark Suckerberg bankrupt!

Unfortunately unlike and appears that the Australian government reached a "deal" and have allow news posts to go back on Facebook. But, I agree Zuckerberg is an asshat. Unfortunately, something else just as bad as Facebook will have to come along to dethrone Facebook it seems.
Check out my stuff!