Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Strategy Games - Turn-based ? Or Real-time ??
Which is your preference ? Whilst I can appreciate the appeal of RTS (real-time strategy if you're not familiar with the term), I personally much prefer turn-based games, as you have that much longer to think ...

Games like Master of Magic were, in my opinion, optimal as they combined turn-based strategic play, with faster turn-based combat play ... a system mirrored to some extent by the late, great Dark Legions PC game ... both of which I believe you can now download as abandonware (and which I strongly recommend you do).

Cool.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Definately RTS, they are the most fun. Although not as addictive as turn-based games, I find they have more action, and feels like less of a "puzzle" game. Most turn-based games are too slow for me, and unless they are done right, they usual get boring really fast...
Are MMOs turn-based? 'Cause then that would explain why I can't play them.

All the MMOs I know are RTS. You stand still thinkin... you're gonna die!!

I like both... each type provides different sets of challenges and it also depends on the mood im in.

Yep, MMO games tend to be real-time, which is what many people consider to be their major selling-point ... I think anyway ...

Personal, I too don't like MMO's - I find that the amount of time they call for you to sink into them is INSANE, and I'd far rather get that in an offline game where I can save my progress and restart and know that nobody else has been on there for weeks and weeks, and made me look really bad in the process.

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) is the best MMO I've ever played (if indeed it can be considered that - all the other players being NPC's) ... until proven otherwise, I'll keep considering that to be the case at any road :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I like both though I'd go with RTS mostly cause after a while of playing turn-based games it feels like it drags a bit, then again that can be said for many games in general but yea I'll go with RTS

I wonder if there's a corrolation between those people that like chess, and those people that prefer turn-based over RTS ...

... 'coz I do ... like chess and turn-based I mean ...

More time to predict and plot Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

HOly Cow! Oblivion!! Now there's a game I dare someone to hate Wink I'm sure most of my life was wasted away on that game back in highschool

Oooooooh yeah ... I actually started to write a guide for it and then, rather like David looking from Goliath's toe to his head, I thought "whaaaaat the fuuuuuuuunk" and put it on pause ...

... but it's something I shall try and do at some point Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!