Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PM with unknown link
Today I received a PM that included a twitter link titled "your fan"

I'm not about to follow a link from someone who is anonymous guest here.

So, if someone wants to send me a link, be up front about it.

Here is a website which you can use to check links like that... https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

In this case, the link goes to a site deemed a Critical Security Risk

"Your site is blacklisted and needs immediate attention. Web authorities are blocking traffic because your website is unsafe for visitors. Sign Up to secure your site with guaranteed malware and blacklist removal."

I received the same message and reported it.  No way am I going to clck on a link like that.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Surprised you can send PM's anonymously on here...perhaps @andy ought to look at that...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Yeah, I haven't gone 30 years without getting a computer virus, malware installed or responding to phishing attacks, by clicking on rando links...

Granted in the old days, it was more, don't stick an unknown floppy drive into a computer without anti-virus...

I did collect a small assortment of viruses from clients when I was working for a consulting company. Useful for testing anti-virus software back then.

@"kindy64" Social engineering is fun. "Oh, you use Linux? Type this into the terminal." "Nothing happened? Oh don't you worry."

But on a serious note, this is work of a bot most likely. Bots are notorious for targeting forums. One forum I used to be active on years ago hasn't updated their software since 2007...Needless to say, don't do that...update the site...but it is ripe with bots and spam and hardly no one goes there anymore for that and other reasons.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I got the same thing, from a new user claiming to be from Belarus, using the name jonnywibe22.

Mine didn't have a link in it that I saw, it just had two smilie faces, no text. I never bothered to answer it.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Yep. Got 2 PMs from obscure members in the last weeks containing just links. Didn’t do anything. By the time I wanted to check the GS-profiles they were gone.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I got the same thing.

I would never follow an unknown link either and the title "your fan" is just creepy.

Well darn, I guess not even spam bots like me...
Check out my stuff!

(09-09-2020, 12:37 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Well darn, I guess not even spam bots like me...

I didn't get any either. We must be invisible  Cool
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>