Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paula deen going down hill!
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,...d=webmail9

This woman is a sweet heart. I don't care how heart attackish her food is. This is ridiculous! It's all the rage here in the states to offend people on the streets with vicious names. I hear the N word so many times a day it isnt even funny! Discuss. Greenchainsaw

Well, as I have never watched her tv program much less met the woman, I cannot tell you of she is a sweet person or not--I will just take her word for it.
My knowledge of what is happening to her is limited to the news articles I have read, so please correct me if I am wrong, but from the transcripts I read of her deposition and the charger filed against her company, I gather that the problem is centered in her paying black employees less than white employees working the same position which was further compounded by the use of racial epithets and jokes in the work place (which, if true, constitutes a racially charged work enviroment).
Personally, I think her statements trying to defend her idea of dressing black servers as slaves for her brothers wedding kinda put the nail in the coffin....but that's just me.

I find it confusing. It seems to me that while she's done some thoughtless and tasteless things in the past it seems like it was decades ago, early 1980s at the last time. If they can't find anything after that then I don't see what the big deal is, she's obviously changed, and I'd think everyone can remember things they did or said over a decade ago that makes them cringe to remember it.

But then there's a lawsuit about a hostile atmosphere at some restaurant she owns? I'm not clear on it because everyone is focused on 1980, but if there's currently (at least in the last 10 years) of such a genuinely hostile and racist atmosphere at the places she operates then that would be a different matter.

I can't find it in me to care about something she said while in a state of extreme upset back in 1980, however. I also don't expect celebrities to be saints (if they were then they wouldn't be entertaining to the rest of us Wink ). Actually, the entire thing seems a tempest in a teapot to me but then I watch very little TV and don't get her cookbooks (all good Texans know them Georgians use too much pork when they should use beef! :tongue: ) and might have a different opinion if I did.

I find it funny that people are so shocked that a sixty-something white lady from the Deep South said "nigger". Now the plantation-themed wedding idea she apparently had, that's kind of a teensy bit ridiculously racist.

It's all been an amusing spectacle.

She is a sleazebag. She knew she had diabetes and promoted the drug while encouraging her fans to eat crap that she knew would give anyone diabetes.

That is an example of her true character.

The racist stuff...doesn't surprise me but I already couldn't stand the woman so nothing has changed for me.

Beaux Wrote:Well, as I have never watched her tv program much less met the woman, I cannot tell you of she is a sweet person or not--I will just take her word for it.
My knowledge of what is happening to her is limited to the news articles I have read, so please correct me if I am wrong, but from the transcripts I read of her deposition and the charger filed against her company, I gather that the problem is centered in her paying black employees less than white employees working the same position which was further compounded by the use of racial epithets and jokes in the work place (which, if true, constitutes a racially charged work enviroment).
Personally, I think her statements trying to defend her idea of dressing black servers as slaves for her brothers wedding kinda put the nail in the coffin....but that's just me.

Yes, she does seem to have gone over the top on some issues, and that wedding.
But if the black people that were being paid to be "slaves" had a problem with it, they would have said no. So, for this issue, there is no foundation for anything "racial".

You have to understand, she's from the "Old South". Her kids were brought up in the New South.

The more "south" you go.......the more prevalent the mentality is that she has.

People of her age who call blacks the "N word" have no issue with this. It isnt meant to be threatening, demeaning, or racist. Thats just the way it is here. Now if a teenager called a black person the "N word", they would probably tell them to go fuck themselves, call them white trash, or throw a fit.

But the older southern generation is different. Using the "N word" is the same as calling them black or negro's or African Americans....there is no difference to the older generation.
This is something you are brought up with and learn.

Ms. Deen isnt the first to have "slave" themed parties, and she wont be the last. Why arent they sueing all the other hundreds of people who have had "slave" themed parties over the years? Because they arent famous and can make a buck off of humiliating someone for something they KNOW is ludicrous and absurd.

Just like all the other fucks in this this assbakerds country.....they are only out for some easy money....and allowed it by the asskissing judicial system.

As for paying blacks less than whites......this too is an Old South thing. Just as women supposedly get paid less than men for the same job.....in the "deep south" blacks get paid less than whites usually.

Im not saying she is doing this, she probably didnt hire these people personally and had no idea how much they make. But as I stated before, if they had a problem with it, they would have said something. Nobody FORCED them to accept the job OR the pay. So this again, has no substance for litigation.

As far as her food goes, yes....its southern style food. ALL southern style food is based with grease, butter, oils, and lards....and usually a large amount of dairy. AND FRIED! But again, this is the Old Southern style, which is WHAT SHE DOES.

These people are retards to to the extreme to be blaming this woman for things EVERYBODY does in the south, as well as eats!!! This is her forum, her knowledge, and her gimmick on her show.

If these douchebags had issues, then her show would have ended YEARS ago. But because some dickhead decided to make it an issue and try to make some free and easy cash.....everybody else jumped on the "bandwagon".

ManicLewis21 Wrote:http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,...d=webmail9

This woman is a sweet heart. I don't care how heart attackish her food is. This is ridiculous! It's all the rage here in the states to offend people on the streets with vicious names. I hear the N word so many times a day it isnt even funny! Discuss. Greenchainsaw

I dislike racism but I only believe in one race. The human race. I also like when people try to be racist to what people. It doesn't seem to work.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Yes, she does seem to have gone over the top on some issues, and that wedding.
But if the black people that were being paid to be "slaves" had a problem with it, they would have said no. So, for this issue, there is no foundation for anything "racial".

You have to understand, she's from the "Old South". Her kids were brought up in the New South.

The more "south" you go.......the more prevalent the mentality is that she has.

People of her age who call blacks the "N word" have no issue with this. It isnt meant to be threatening, demeaning, or racist. Thats just the way it is here. Now if a teenager called a black person the "N word", they would probably tell them to go fuck themselves, call them white trash, or throw a fit.

But the older southern generation is different. Using the "N word" is the same as calling them black or negro's or African Americans....there is no difference to the older generation.
This is something you are brought up with and learn.

Ms. Deen isnt the first to have "slave" themed parties, and she wont be the last. Why arent they sueing all the other hundreds of people who have had "slave" themed parties over the years? Because they arent famous and can make a buck off of humiliating someone for something they KNOW is ludicrous and absurd.

Just like all the other fucks in this this assbakerds country.....they are only out for some easy money....and allowed it by the asskissing judicial system.

As for paying blacks less than whites......this too is an Old South thing. Just as women supposedly get paid less than men for the same job.....in the "deep south" blacks get paid less than whites usually.

Im not saying she is doing this, she probably didnt hire these people personally and had no idea how much they make. But as I stated before, if they had a problem with it, they would have said something. Nobody FORCED them to accept the job OR the pay. So this again, has no substance for litigation.

As far as her food goes, yes....its southern style food. ALL southern style food is based with grease, butter, oils, and lards....and usually a large amount of dairy. AND FRIED! But again, this is the Old Southern style, which is WHAT SHE DOES.

These people are retards to to the extreme to be blaming this woman for things EVERYBODY does in the south, as well as eats!!! This is her forum, her knowledge, and her gimmick on her show.

If these douchebags had issues, then her show would have ended YEARS ago. But because some dickhead decided to make it an issue and try to make some free and easy cash.....everybody else jumped on the "bandwagon".

I was born and raised in Louisiana. I presently reside in South Carolina. Which part about the "South" do you think I am not getting?
The black employees DID refuse to participate, after which some were mysteriously fired. I can see how that would affect the work enviroment...

It's funny this thread is here. I just logged on to bitch about this..

I personally think the whole thing is f*cking ridiculous (and as usual, agree with Tinkles :p). Granted, I don't by any means like the "N-Word" or condone using it, but who the hell hasn't said something they've regretted later? Everyone says things they're not proud of..

Not to mention, she admitted to using the word over 20 YEARS AGO, and lets face it.. she grew up in the South and was around that type of language. That doesn't make it right (obviously).. but it doesn't make her a terrible human being either. From what I've seen she doesn't particularly seem racist. She seems sorry for using the word and wants to better herself as a person..

The way I see it, this nothing more than yet another case of the PC bullshit I loathe, and now it's turned into a media based witch-hunt for no valid reason. Her career is basically destroyed over something she said over two decades ago..

Whatever happened to second chances?

I guess the moral of the story is she should have lied in court.

Beaux Wrote:I was born and raised in Louisiana. I presently reside in South Carolina. Which part about the "South" do you think I am not getting?
The black employees DID refuse to participate, after which some were mysteriously fired. I can see how that would affect the work enviroment...

My sister lives in Southern Louisiana (New Orleans area) and the "N word" is used as much as any other word down there. Ive been to Shreveport a few times and heard that word used on the streets in "regular" conversations.

Same goes for Southern Georgia (I have friends there) and most of the Southeastern part of Texas, and a lot of East Texas. And pretty much all of Alabama from what Ive been told. And from what I hear from my friends in the deep south, this goes for parts of Tennessee, South Carolina, and Northern Florida.

If the black people refused, it was their right, as was the companies right for firing them.
Was this the correct thing to do? No. But we talking bout the south, not New York City.

A lot of famous people like this have their own companies. And sad to say, they are the ones who get blasted for what happens to some people that work for them, even though they have never had any dealings with them or the people who manage them. They have managers and other people working for them to hire, fire, and train people for the companies needs. She probably never even knew what was going on in parts of her company.

As for the wedding theme, well, SOMEBODY said yes and didnt have a problem with it, otherwise they wouldnt have had any "slaves" to have a theme with.