Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropped out of university, parents hate me now
Thanks, guys, you're so much nicer than my folks.

I kind of have a plan what I might do now. I don't know about the USA, but in my country there are schools that don't give you a degree, but teach you some profession instead. Hairdressers, cooks and others study this way. I'd just have to decide upon profession and start learning it.

Or else, about getting a job, the field doesn't really matter to me. I've heard that McDonald's need employees or I'd could work in some shop or basically wherever. I'd be ready to do any kind of job.

Getting a job I think will help you a lot as it will either be something you can progress with extremely fast - or make you realise you hate it and focus on doing something you want.

Personally I went to uni and graduated in Business studies focusing on logistics and retail management, at the time I was a weekend worker in a popular, low priced clothing chain in the UK - on a 4 hour contract. Since then I've stayed with them and now I'm a womenswear manager earning a very very good wage with the world ahead of me, as they are rapidly expanding across Europe, and in 2015 set to open into the American market which is another major opportunity.

The point I'm getting at is I've kind of done both routes? And being honest the working side has got me further than my degree.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Getting a job and going to a trade school sounds like a great start. Since you're willing to take any job, find one that has some chance of advancement. (e.g. not fast food.) Build up your skills and your contacts. Be really good at your job and be really pleasant to work with. Develop some good friendships.

If you're monolingual, learn a second language. Sites like Duolingo are free and really good.

You mentioned cooking. If you want to be a chef, that's a profession where you can move up with no schooling. You start as dishwasher or a prep cook, and then work your way up to a line cook, then chef, then executive chef. To get a job like this, find the best fine dining establishment in your area, walk into the kitchen at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Friday and ask to talk to the chef. Tell him you want to work in the kitchen and that you don't know anything but you're a dependable hard worker willing to learn and work your way up. Have your name, contact info, and employment objective on a piece of paper. At least in the US, a resume might not be needed for this type of entry level work. You might be asked to fill out an application.

You can get a ton of help on here, but you're going to have to stop being anonymous and tell us who you are and where you are.

I am a parent. What I want for my children is the best for them and the best doesn't always mean to undergo university. I've met many people who haven't been in University or had little education and do a very good living for themselves. The fact that I'm several time graduated, doesn't mean that I want to force my children to pursu university. Sure, it will be better, but as I said to my daughter Mary Sandy like I will say to the rest of my children, choose a program that you will like, don't go in a program just because some stupid magazine is saying that the new trends is to go in IT or anything else. You need to choose your program because you want to do it, because you're interested in it. Not just for the employment outcome.

I have myself 3 BA, One Master and I'm doing now a doctorate, however even though they're for the most of them in the social science, they do not follow one another.

Like many parents who can offer they child an education, I did put money aside for my children. However, this money is not for education, it's for them, if they want to use it for education, good for them, but is one of my child decide that he/she wants to invest in an idea that he wants to develop he can well use the money for it as well. Once they have reached the age that they can use it, it's their choice to spend it in the activity they want as long it's for educative or life improvement purposes, this mean that they cannot use that cash to buy a car.

I understand your parents of being mad, but NO they cannot force you, perhaps all you need is a break, you should have taken a break and take sometime to think about it. I see too much students of mine planning the all the way to doctorate or master degree and yet they realize during their studies that what they've chosen is boring to the core, there's always possibility of changing it. You went three years already, before you had started to get bad grades you should have changed courses.

But let the dust go down, and yes, go away once in a while, this environment will depress you even more.