Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personality Type
Im trying to broaden my horizons and found out I have a ISFJ (Introversion, Sensing, Feeling, Judging) personality.

Whats your personality type?

Go here first to figure out the four letters: The 8 Myers-Briggs Personality Preferences

Go here second to find out what those combined letters mean: The 16 Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Here is a 41 question test to help you out if you are having trouble figuring out what you are. Also you can google "Myers-Briggs Personality test" and get plenty of free online test.

http://www.41q.com/

Here is an online personality forum that you can discuss your personality with fellow people like yourself.http://personalitycafe.com/forum/

This describes me almost to well:

Protector Supporter: ISFJ
Relationship
The ISFJ has a strong sense of duty; this is both beneficial and troubling. They tend to value "being there" and can be counted on in the worst of times. They also tend to let people take advantage of them and will remain silent to avoid conflict. In families this can be a double-edged trait. In the family you can often find the ISFJ in the kitchen, preparing a meal and enjoying the responsibility of doing so. Taking care of the family and putting up with the complaints in the name of harmony is often a role the ISFJ will find themselves.

In friendship the ISFJ is the friend you can count on. They may not enjoy being intruded upon but their high sense of duty will compel them to do what needs to be done. Friends will often complain that they let people walk all over them but this matters little to the ISFJ

In love the ISFJ often becomes the quiet reserved backbone of a relationship. They will put all of their needs on hold in an effort to keep the relationship intact. They may tend to move slowly but every step is a sure step and their level of commitment is usually high.

Career
A big part of the ISFJ’s life is work. No matter what the professions this type can be counted on to find rewarding, fulfilling roles in the work place. If not, expect them to work harder in an effort to find that sense of duty and service. The ISFJ isn’t looking for a nice retirement package or the golden goose; they use work as a means of balancing a productive life. Nancy Reagan, who didn’t believe in weekends, is a famous ISFJ. Other popular ISFJ career directions include: Counseling, Ministry, Library Work, Nursing, Dental Hygenists and Musicians.

Education
As long as nobody is making waves the ISFJ is a happy student. Practical well-defined classes make the ISFJ at ease in the learning environment. While a stubborn streak may exist in the ISFJ they will ultimately conform to whatever authority figure is in front of them.

Famous ISFJ Personality Types
Alfred, Lord Tennyson - poet
Barbara Bush - American First Lady
Jimmy Stewart - actor
Kristi Yamaguchi - figure skater
Louisa May Alcott - novelist
Michael Caine - actor
Mother Theresa - missionary nun
Queen Mary I - Queen of England
Robert E. Lee - Army Officer

Briggs Myer saved my butt...literally...it was a catalyst in therapy and gave me my breakthrough..many years ago. I am an INFP and it explained alot so at the time 3/4 of my perceived problems literally disappeared which made the other 1/4 easier to deal with.

I used to belong to a website that had INFPs ...kinda like this one..they have groups on the internet for every combination. It helped me alot at the time....

The Idealist

[SIZE=4]
"I remember the first albatross I ever saw. ... At intervals, it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to embrace some holy ark. Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it. Though bodily unharmed, it uttered cries, as some king's ghost in super natural distress. Through its inexpressible, strange eyes, methought I peeped to secrets not below the heavens. As Abraham before the angels, I bowed myself..." --(Herman Melville, Moby Dick)
INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses. It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities.

INFP children often exhibit this in a 'Calvin and Hobbes' fashion, switching from reality to fantasy and back again. With few exceptions, it is the NF child who readily develops imaginary playmates (as with Anne of Green Gables's "bookcase girlfriend"--her own reflection) and whose stuffed animals come to life like the Velveteen Rabbit and the Skin Horse:
"...Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand..." (the Skin Horse)
INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity.
Rest you, my enemy,

Slain without fault,
Life smacks but tastelessly
Lacking your salt!
Stuck in a bog whence naught
May catapult me,
Come from the grave, long-sought,
Come and insult me!
--(Steven Vincent Benet, Elegy for an Enemy)
Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden, even from themselves, until circumstances evoke an impassioned response:
"I say, Queequeg! Why don't you speak? It's I--Ishmael." But all remained still as before. ... Something must have happened. Apoplexy!

... And running up after me, she caught me as I was again trying to force open the door. ... "Have to burst it open," said I, and was running down the entry a little, for a good start, when the landlady caught me, again vowing I should not break down her premises; but I tore from her, and with a sudden bodily rush dashed myself full against the mark.--(Melville, Moby Dick)
Of course, not all of life is rosy, and INFPs are not exempt from the same disappointments and frustrations common to humanity. As INTPs tend to have a sense of failed competence, INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., perfo rmance of duty for the greater cause. An INFP friend describes the inner conflict as not good versus bad, but on a grand scale, Good vs. Evil. Luke Skywalker in Star Wars depicts this conflict in his struggle between the two sides of "The Force." Although the dark side must be reckoned with, the INFP believes that good ultimately triumphs.
Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms. Brendan Kehoe's Zen and the Art of the Internet is one example of this "de-jargoning" talent in action.
Functional Analysis:
Introverted Feeling

INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of introverted Feeling. Being inward-turning, the natural attraction is away from world and toward essence and ideal. This introversion of dominant Feeling, receiving its data from extraverted intuition, must be the source of the quixotic nature of these usually gentle beings. Feeling is caught in the approach- avoidance bind between concern both for people and for All Creatures Great and Small, and a psycho-magnetic repulsion from the same. The "object," be it homo sapiens or a mere representation of an organism, is valued only to the degree that the object contains some measure of the inner Essence or greater Good. Doing a good deed, for example, may provide intrinsic satisfaction which is only secondary to the greater good of striking a blow against Man's Inhumanity to Mankind. Extraverted iNtuition

Extraverted intuition faces outward, greeting the world on behalf of Feeling. What the observer usually sees is creativity with implied good will. Intuition spawns this type's philosophical bent and strengthens pattern perception. It combines as auxiliary with introverted Feeling and gives rise to unusual skill in both character development and fluency with language--a sound basis for the development of literary facility. If INTPs aspire to word mechanics, INFPs would be verbal artists. Introverted Sensing

Sensing is introverted and often invisible. This stealth function in the third position gives INFPs a natural inclination toward absent- mindedness and other-worldliness, however, Feeling's strong people awareness provides a balancing, mitigating effect. This introverted Sensing is somewhat categorical, a subdued version of SJ sensing. In the third position, however, it is easily overridden by the stronger functions. Extraverted Thinking

The INFP may turn to inferior extraverted Thinking for help in focusing on externals and for closure. INFPs can even masquerade in their ESTJ business suit, but not without expending considerable energy. The inferior, problematic nature of Extraverted Thinking is its lack of context and proportion. Single impersonal facts may loom large or attain higher priority than more salient principles which are all but overlooked. Famous INFPs:

Homer
Virgil
Mary, mother of Jesus
St. John, the beloved disciple
St. Luke; physician, disciple, author
William Shakespeare, bard of Avon
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Evangeline)
A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie)
Helen Keller, deaf and blind author
Carl Rogers, reflective psychologist, counselor
Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers' Neighborhood)
Dick Clark (American Bandstand)
Donna Reed, actor (It's a Wonderful Life)
Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis
Neil Diamond, vocalist
Tom Brokaw, news anchor
James Herriot (All Creatures Great and Small)
Annie Dillard (Pilgrim at Tinker Creek)
James Taylor, vocalist
Julia Roberts, actor (Conspiracy Theory, Pretty Woman)
Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap)
Terri Gross (PBS's "Fresh Air")
Amy Tan (author of The Joy-Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife)
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Lisa Kudrow ("Phoebe" of Friends)
Fred Savage ("The Wonder Years")
Fictional INFPs:
Anne (Anne of Green Gables)
Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
Deanna Troi (Star Trek - The Next Generation)
Wesley Crusher (Star Trek - The Next Generation)
Doctor Julian Bashir (Star Trek: Deep Space 9)
Bastian (The Neverending Story)
E.T.: the ExtraTerrestrial
Doug Funny, Doug cartoons
Tommy, Rug Rats cartoons
Rocko, Rocko's Modern Life cartoons

</H1>[/SIZE]

Analyzer Operator: ISTP

Relationships
The ISTP is ready to try anything once. Keeping others off-guard is the environment the ISTP is happy with, whether its taking charge to fix a problem or generating a burst of humor that turns into the life of a party. This can be tough for friends.

Being in a relationship with an ISTP can be difficult due to the hands off attitude they often posses. They are loath to change especially if they believe others are attempting to control them. Their spontaneous nature is usually good natured and fun.

Family events are a mixed bag for the ISTP. The ISTP has little need for the social activity such events bring but rather enjoys the procedure. After an event, in the glow of success or failure, is where many ISTP’s will look for social interaction.

Career
Work that is routine like an administrator or open-ended like research is not what the ISTP is looking for. They need a career that will allow for spontaneous energy in problem solving and have a tangible, achievable goal. Other popular ISTP career directions include: Pilot, Police Cfficer, Medical Technician, and Paralegal.

Education
Learning is most enjoyable for the ISTP when it is relevant and experimental. The best way to learn is by doing in the ISTP world. The more abstract a class becomes, the less an ISTP will become, don’t be surprised to hear the phrase "what does this have to do with anything?" come out of the ISTP’s mouth.

Famous ISTP Personality Types
Alan Shepherd - astronaut
Bruce Lee - martial artist, actor
Burt Reynolds - actor
Charles Bronson - actor
Chuck Yeager - U.S. Air Force officer
Clint Eastwood - actor and director
James Dean - actor
Katharine Hepburn - actress
Keith Richards - English guitarist/singer
Michael Jordan - athelete
Robin Cook - British politician
Tom Cruise - actor
Zachary Taylor - American President

YEEUHH MJ!

INFP

Quote:Harmonizer Clarifier: INFP

Relationship

The INFP often lets others get the best of them. The INFP doesn’t believe in ‘rocking the boat’ and that can frustrate friends who wait for the INFP to take action. There is almost nothing the INFP will do in order to avoid conflict.

In a love relationship the INFP feels more than they express. This is a double-edged sword because they never fully explain what bothers them and therefore never really solve a problem. They live by a code that calls for harmony but are often caught in between the desired harmony and the inability to express their frustrations.

If the family is jovial and getting along the INFP is extremely happy but the second things get unpleasant the INFP is out the door.

Career

The INFP wants to help their fellow man. The field of teaching is full of INFP’s as is church service groups and the medical profession. This is not to say the INFP isn’t interested in money, they will strive to get a healthy balance of both. Hard work is nothing new to the INFP and they almost crave it. Other popular INFP career directions include: Designer, College Professor, Researcher and Human Resources.

Education

The INFP will ask, "who am I?" and want a real answer. They work hard and school is a simple operation of applying the hard work, but the question of self is their ultimate question and drives their educational desires.

Woah, this is really freaky. The relationship part fits me to a T, career is like a 50% true while the education part is just wrong. Rolleyes

I'm an INFJ:

Foreseer Developer: INFJ

Relationships

INFJ’s are often an inspiration to others. They find themselves in the middle of family because they are often insightful and keen at interrupting tension. If there is too much family tension, INFJ’s will shun the tension centers conversely if there is a center of joy and warmth the INFJ may never leave.
The INFJ can be quiet and unassuming if not stimulated in a group. They may appear disinterested but below the surface are a thousand ideas waiting to come out. Once those ideas are tapped they often become the life of the party. They can also shut down just as fast as they start up which often confuses people.
In relationships the INFJ can create problems out of their desire to eliminate them. They have such an over-riding want for harmony that they often try too hard to avoid discord. INFJ’s will ignore inner burdens in an effort to avoid the external, creating a pressure filled potential for explosion. Once the INFJ learns to articulate its want for harmony the achievement is that much more attainable.

Career

The INFJ enjoys working and learning and can often be found in the educational fields that allow for further development. They enjoy working and often take pride in the work and people they work with. They often forget to articulate this pride, which can frustrate those working with them. Other popular INFJ career directions include: Career Counselor, Psychologist, Special Education Teacher and Architects.

Education

Any chance the INFJ has to learn and broaden their horizons, they will. That is good news in the scholastic environment. The INFJ has the ability to dream even though they don’t always reveal it. It often manifests itself in their ability to succeed in creative situations. Their love of learning will take them to rewarding heights in the classroom.

Famous INFJ Personality Types
  • Adam Sandler - actor, comedian
  • Billy Crystal - actor, comedian
  • Fred McMurray - actor
  • Martin Van Buren - American President
  • Mel Gibson - actor, filmmaker
  • Michael Landon - actor
  • Oprah Winfrey - TV show host
  • Robert Burns - poet
  • Tom Selleck - actor
I would say that is pretty accurate when it comes to describing me.

Quote:Harmonizer Clarifier: INFP
Relationship
The INFP often lets others get the best of them. The INFP doesn’t believe in ‘rocking the boat’ and that can frustrate friends who wait for the INFP to take action. There is almost nothing the INFP will do in order to avoid conflict.

In a love relationship the INFP feels more than they express. This is a double-edged sword because they never fully explain what bothers them and therefore never really solve a problem. They live by a code that calls for harmony but are often caught in between the desired harmony and the inability to express their frustrations.

If the family is jovial and getting along the INFP is extremely happy but the second things get unpleasant the INFP is out the door.

Career
The INFP wants to help their fellow man. The field of teaching is full of INFP’s as is church service groups and the medical profession. This is not to say the INFP isn’t interested in money, they will strive to get a healthy balance of both. Hard work is nothing new to the INFP and they almost crave it. Other popular INFP career directions include: Designer, College Professor, Researcher and Human Resources.

Education
The INFP will ask, "who am I?" and want a real answer. They work hard and school is a simple operation of applying the hard work, but the question of self is their ultimate question and drives their educational desires

I'm glad I had a look at this so thanks to the original poster Smile
It's definitely accurate for me, all of it. Couple of years back (even last year) I don't think I would have been an INFP but I've changed a lot this year.

INFJ -

I don't know what to make of this, just going over the details...

Planner Inspector: ISTJ

Relationships

Family is of the utmost importance to the ISTJ. The order and schedule of a home life is very important. Any family member who rebels against order is likely to anger the ISTJ who revolves their life around a sense of conformity. The ISTJ is likely to want breakfast at 8, lunch at 12 and dinner at 6 no matter what, holidays with the family are of paramount importance and no sacrifice is too great to keep the unit intact.

The ISTJ likes to also have order in their friends and in their appearance. Hanging out with the wild and crazy isn't likely to happen. ISTJ's tend to develop strong, loyal, consistent friendships that stand the test of time. ISTJ’s may have trouble showing emotion but within the strength of a time-tested friendship they often find comfort.

In love relationships the ISTJ is a strong believer in taking responsibility. They also say the things they mean. Often they are accused of being uncaring but they view the benchmark of commitment by actions and not words. The ISTJ is more interested in being the Rock of Gibralter and day to day success than words that are not backed up with actions.
Career

The predominate configuration of the United States Military is ISTJ. If you like order the military is the place to be. Other professions that tend to draw the ISTJ’s wants for schedules and results oriented satisfaction are general surgery, law and accounting. The ISTJ can be a success at any career but tend to shy away from careers that require abstract thinking and interpersonal spontaneity. Other popular ISTJ career directions include: Management, Accounting, Auditing, Engineer, Dentists, Stock Brokers and Law.
Education

The ISTJ is often a good student. In classes such as science and math they tend to excel due to their factual nature. More abstract classes tend to frustrate the ISTJ but they try to do what "should" be done. In summation the ISTJ student will usually try to do what the instructor asks because that is what should be done.
Famous Types

* Andrew Johnson - American President
* Benjamin Harrison - American President
* Elizabeth II - Queen of England
* Evander Holyfield - boxer
* George H. W. Bush - American President
* George Washington - American President
* Harry Truman - American President
* Herbert Hoover - American President
* Jack Webb - actor, producer
* Warren Buffet - investor, businessman

Cool. Big Grin

Analyzer Operator: ISTP

Relationships

The ISTP is ready to try anything once. Keeping others off-guard is the environment the ISTP is happy with, whether its taking charge to fix a problem or generating a burst of humor that turns into the life of a party. This can be tough for friends.

Being in a relationship with an ISTP can be difficult due to the hands off attitude they often posses. They are loath to change especially if they believe others are attempting to control them. Their spontaneous nature is usually good natured and fun.

Family events are a mixed bag for the ISTP. The ISTP has little need for the social activity such events bring but rather enjoys the procedure. After an event, in the glow of success or failure, is where many ISTP’s will look for social interaction.
Career

Work that is routine like an administrator or open-ended like research is not what the ISTP is looking for. They need a career that will allow for spontaneous energy in problem solving and have a tangible, achievable goal. Other popular ISTP career directions include: Pilot, Police Cfficer, Medical Technician, and Paralegal.
Education

Learning is most enjoyable for the ISTP when it is relevant and experimental. The best way to learn is by doing in the ISTP world. The more abstract a class becomes, the less an ISTP will become, don’t be surprised to hear the phrase "what does this have to do with anything?" come out of the ISTP’s mouth.
Famous ISTP Personality Types

* Alan Shepherd - astronaut
* Bruce Lee - martial artist, actor
* Burt Reynolds - actor
* Charles Bronson - actor
* Chuck Yeager - U.S. Air Force officer
* Clint Eastwood - actor and director
* James Dean - actor
* Katharine Hepburn - actress
* Keith Richards - English guitarist/singer
* Michael Jordan - athelete
* Robin Cook - British politician