Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Peeves......what REALLY ticks you off?
MisterTinkles Wrote:Sucking back snot is THE worst! People who cant be bothered to take care of their problems need to be locked in a windowless room, until they learn manners!!
Thats my rant for today.

Quote:Mucus, chemically, is quite fascinating. Sugar chains are attached to a protein backbone in mucus cells, with the contraption released out into the open. These glycoprotein molecules rapidly and aggressively suck up water until they are plump, slick, and slimy. To an invader, this is a nightmare to navigate: tangled chains of protein and sugar, with every nook and cranny crammed with water molecules. (Boogers are when these chains become ever more tangled, finally resulting in a rubbery ball of partially dried-out snot. Neat!) The body adds antimicrobial enzymes to this mix, which digest the invading organisms as they slowly attempt to chew through this barrier and reach the thin underlying lining of cells.

Quote:Which reminds me: Over the years, I've stumbled across some interesting discussions about whether picking your nose and/or eating boogers is a psychological or biological phenomenon. That is, when people do this, does it reflect some kind of psychological or socio-cultural issue; or is there a biological reason why booger-eating could be beneficial?
The truth is, there's not been a great deal of research done on this subject, at least from the biology angle. We know about booger-eating as a function of human behavioral development. There's been some research into it from the perspective of evolutionary psychology (i.e., why do people think this is gross?). But analysis of whether or not there is a biological reason people engage in booger eating has been lacking. Perhaps unsurprisingly. It would be interesting to see the responses you'd get if you tried to recruit volunteers for that study. Especially considering the fact that, as I think about it, you'd probably want your test subjects to eat both their own boogers, and those of other people, to see whether that had any impact on any presumed immune system response.
But I digress. If you are not totally grossed out yet, I'd recommend reading "Eating Snot – Socially Unacceptable but Common: Why?", a chapter in the book Consuming the Inedible: Neglected Dimensions of Food Choice. You can read most of that chapter on Google Books. Author Maria Jesus Portalatin focuses mainly on the better documented socio-cultural implications, but gets into a bit of the biology. One thing she points out, nasal mucus is about 95% water, so there's a possibility that you might expect more mucus eating in arid places. But nobody has ever done the studies necessary to test that hypothesis out. Her main hypothesis—also untested—is that eating mucus might help prime the body's immune system, allowing it to have more contact with weakened forms of potential pathogens so it can better detect and destroy those pathogens later. In other words, she thinks that eating your boogers is sort of like self-immunization.
Blame Tim Lloyd for sending me down this train of thought.

Hmmm afternoon snacks or after dinner desert anyone?

^^^ God you are cruel.... Rofl

dfiant Wrote:I have worked in retail for a lot of years, but the last 5 years manners have gone right out the door....and you know how the older generation say 'You whipper snappers have no manners or respect for us oldies'? Thats bull-fucking-shit as I find the older generations the most rude, arrogant and ill mannered generation.

My pet peeve is - As those of you who work in retail would know, the greeting is the most important part of a transaction...I hate it when you smile and politely say ' Hi, how are you today.' and the customer just looks at the ground and starts talking without reciprocating the greeting or exchanging a friendly smile.

Another pet peeve, Putting your hand out to receive their money and they slide it under you hand and put it on the counter...what is the go with that???? and then THEY get the shits when you give it back to them they way they gave it to you, straight under their outstretched hand.

I agree 200%! I worked retail off an on, part time and full time, for the past many years.
I found that the old fucks are more hateful, snide, rude, and mean than the younger ones.

And I DONT care what anybody preaches about Christmas! It is THE most EVIL time of the year!!

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Some people have incurable sinus issues which lead to perpetual draining... So the theory that:

"...People who cant be bothered to take care of their problems need to be locked in a windowless room, until they learn manners!
..."

Is slightly off base.

The only thing that really annoyed me to being tempted to commit a 'minor crime' was when I was driving... Those idiots in their wee bitty cars that race past you, go over into your lane then step on the brake.

Honestly, a jacked up suburban loaded down with tools and materials will crush your car in a heart beat... F-ing idiot.

I so wanted to just step on the accelerator and pretend I didn't see the car slowing down ahead of me - nothing but a minor bump in the road... Wink

I guess that's it... I'm tolerant and accepting and loving of humans in general.

Of course lying, manipulative, user/abuser types I have no love and I feel it is societies duty to round them up and send them half way across the pacific, the sink the boat.

There are ALWAYS options on taking care of your issues, so you DONT make them everybody ELSES issues! There are drugs, sprays, and medications to help and stop sinus problems. There are these things called tissues that were invented a LONG time ago....they are cheap and readily available. They also make nose plugs.

There is also something called manners and etiquette. If you got a problem, take it to the Dr or keep it at home if you dont have the brains to find out how to deal with it and take care of it.

As far as retards on the roads go.....I wanted to shove my gas pedal to the floor after work today and kill this dumbassed piece of shit. This shitbag runs out across THREE LANES of ONCOMING traffic, AND FUCKING STOPS!
I wanted to ram the fucking retard with my truck SOOOOOOOO badly!!! The police here are damn USELESS. They are so damned corrupt, they are nothing but lazy fuck offs.

My top three pet peeves are
1.When someone goes all drama queen
2.When someone of a older generation tells me how great things use to be.
3.When someone in front of me in a line is too indecisive.

Tim18 Wrote:My top three pet peeves are
1.When someone goes all drama queen
2.When someone of a older generation tells me how great things use to be.
3.When someone in front of me in a line is too indecisive.

I could be SOOO evil and have SOOO much fun with that....
but I will be good and say nothing.
[Image: 50376925_400x400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mk8a8qNw2p1rzrrr2o1_500.gif]

Mr. Tinkles,

For me, it's people who lie about my cakes. Closer examination of your picture clearly proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, there's a demon in the back ground who's signaling: your friend is lying; the cake is actually dry.

I HATE CAKE LIARS!

Oh, the roads. I've been a pedestrian, bicyclist, and motorist so I know how easy it is to show basic courtesy, common sense, and how to use the blinkers. So it's a major annoyance when so many others don't.

Maybe I'll explain later, but if I explain what I mean now it will surely be a rant.

People in line at McDonalds who look up at the screen as if there is this huge selection of items that they have never seen before! Really?! It's f!@#$ing MCDONALDS! The menu has...um burgers. Of course it also has cheeseburgers. Then again it also has MORE F!@#$ING BURGERS!!!
Seriously! If you can't make up your mind at McDonalds I hate to think how you deal with REAL life choices. OMG!

People who are rude to anyone in the service industry
Whistling noses
Orange tans
Drunks