Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Andre's new single... sounds so different!
marshlander Wrote:...It'll probably keep popping into my mind when I don't want it to ...
Sorry, I was wrong.

it's probably a new direction for him since splitting up with Jordan!

Interesting to read the comments above. I didn't realise that Peter Andre was so significant Rolleyes

I'm intrigued by the idea that a song can be panned for deviating from a performer's perceived style, fails to clone what is currently selling most widely and I've no idea what characteristics qualify it as "a bit of a shit song". Aren't these criticisms more a statement of our own conservative opinions than any objective approach to the music?

Personally, I find Peter Andre irritating, but that is far more my problem than anyone else's. In his day he was blessed with good looks and cultivated his appearance to do well with the raw material. He sings melodically and the songs appealed to enough people to be bought by the bucket load. Unfortunately he also developed and played up to a low-IQ image, which subsequent interviews have not really dispelled. If anyone can point to an interview that draws him out as anything other than lightly informed I'd be delighted to see it. His personal life has also been a bit of a circus, but I give him credit that he has also done the dignified thing in, for the most part, refusing to take the bait that his scary ex keeps laying down.

In terms of his music, I have never found it held my interest for very long. It was, for the most part, blatantly commercial and not very challenging. Again the word, "lightweight" comes to mind. I found his comments in this Daily Mirror interview about the new album placed the recordings in context, though:

"Peter, who drew on his marriage to Katie Price aka Jordan to pen the forthcoming album, describes his new direction as "rock urban".

"I have always loved rock," he said.

"Without it sounding cliche or whatever, they (the songs) were my letters. I was just writing them because that was the first chance I had to pay for an album myself, do it myself so I thought well I may as well do it my way and I did.

"You've got to grow up, like your tastes change for food your tastes change for music. I'm glad that I got to add a bit of rock element into the songs."

The father-of-three added: "I started writing this album about a year ago and obviously no-one foresaw, including me, what was gonna happen but I guess the timing is kinda weird."

Someone else will know more about his contributions to the composition processes than I, but I notice he has a writing credit on most of his songs. That the songs on the forthcoming album are coming from a more personal place may well give them some life, if the project isn't completely strangled at birth by the insubstantial quality courtesy of the currently popular hyper-compressed sound of this single. It appears the album was recorded in Los Angeles over a three-month period when he was working with "top producers". That explains a lot. Tastes in popular music tend to be different in the USA and here. We also like the “sound” of our records to be a bit different too.

I'm always pleased when a performer feels they are being given more creative freedom. A singer-songwriter writing about the miserable events in his/her life doesn't always result in terrible music. Al Stewart lived for years off the proceeds of songs about finding his girlfriend in someone else's bed before he discovered that cats had years. Phil Collins also recorded a highly regarded cathartic expression of his marital problems, as have many others.

What I find ultimately disappointing about this song is that, apart from lyrics containing a fair degree of cliché, the attempts at crossover between rock and urban seem to have pirated uninspired elements of both to come up with something of a caricature. I do actually like the substantive riff, but it feels like I have heard it many times before.

I can't believe I've just spent the best part of two-hours thinking about Peter Andre :eek:

See how people said Jordan was being all shan for telling him his music was crap??

I think this song proves that not only was she right, but she was just being a good spouse by telling him and trying to discourage him. What a tool.

reli didnt like it. he's still kinda hot thou. wldnt kick him outta bed. lol