Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photos of my new apartment!
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Spartan - hmm.

I furnished by first place out of dumpsters, including wooden fruit crates, milk crates and a great big over stuffed chair that only had one arm with cigarette burn on it. It was a pretty new piece for the era.

The past 18 years I have been doing flea markets, thrift stores, estate sales which is where I got my antique furniture for very cheap.

I would never hire an interior designer to furnish a place. Way hella expensive, and they would insist on all of this plastic/glass modern crap. :biggrin:

I did a lot of "dumpster diving" when i was younger too. Also, in my area, a lot of people will put out stuff on the curb they dont want anymore, with a sign that says "free". Ive gotten bookcases, tables, and chairs that way.

There also used to be these discount warehouse places that sold IKEA style furniture, and that Wrought Iron furniture that was so popular years ago. I got my first real bed that way.

I also had people give me stuff, or let me know they had stuff that was going to be thrown out, and gave me first choice. I had a few item like that, that I refinished and used.

I dont "do" plastic though, dont like the look for myself. I dont do glass furniture either. It looks awesome, but I am clumbsy....I would break it all up, or chip it to death.
Hell, I cant even have glass glasses, I have to have plastic ones. I do have some heavy clear glass plates though, and I havent chipped or broken them. Had them for years too.

I have had to minimalize my worldly possessions and the way I live over the years.
What I do now is find good furniture thats been thrown out or being given away, recondition it, and when I move again it gets thrown out. So I havent wasted any money by buying furniture I will have to get rid of when I move. And its worked out pretty damn good for me.

For those interested...

http://www.ukthermomix.com/

From a Chefs point of view

southbiochem Wrote:[...] what does a Thermomix do? I don't know them....
[...]

Almost anything except for baking and frying.

It's a magnificent German machine (parts are made in Germany and then assembled in France) that can replace up to 12 appliances but it does have its limitations. You can make wonderful strogonoff, perfect mashed potatoes, exquisite lemonade but it's not so good at cooking big chunks of meat.

LONDONER Wrote:I do wonder why you hired a decorator? [...]

Dumbest decision I ever made.

I was in a bit of a 'hurry' because I wanted to get the house ready before school started and I didn't have much time to do a lot of research.

Moreover the bimbo gave me a couple of good suggestions: I loved the adjustable height coffee/dining table (I didn't buy hers because it was outrageously expensive but I ordered a similar one on the internet for less than half the price) and the bedside table.

By the way, I love your sofas, did you make them yourself? I'm impressed!

southbiochem Wrote:[...] And I just realized you live in an island..how's that like?

I love it but we do feel a bit 'isolated' at times. Thank God for the internet.

More photos:

One of the four chairs I bought at the bimbo's store. I actually love these, they're pretty, original, light, easy to carry and look great anywhere in the house.

Another photo of the sofa, you can clearly see it's too big. And the bimbo wanted to make a new integrated closet in this area of the living room, which was obviously a terrible idea (more expenses, less natural light, less space) and I refused.

The bed was another disaster, it's too big (the bimbo likes it big!) and doesn't have the compartment I asked for.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:[...] I have no idea what is across from the couch, if its an open wall something to put your 80" LCD HDTV and accompanying electronics will be needed. Flank that with two comfortable but light weight chairs that can be pulled toward the coffee table while entertaining.

Rug. You need them. [...]

Great tips there, Sweetie.

Yes, I want to buy a tv set and place it on the corner of the living room opposite the sofa but I'm looking for a tv set with its own stand and NOT IN BLACK.

Maybe something like this but more elegant and in a different colour:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6zJk26Jz_cRaO5Akj3VH...xRbKjBNsOg]

MisterLove Wrote:By the way, I love your sofas, did you make them yourself? I'm impressed!

I made them years ago when I had precious little money. You know what they say: "Necessity is the mother of invention". The fabric is recycled cotton. It's like a heavy canvas. The arms are deliberately very thin since big, fat, wide arms just take up space. The frames are made from chipboard and both sofas can be disassembled if I ever needed to transport them. Both of them are too big to get out of the living room door.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Here's three shots of my kitchen that is pretty minimalist. It was made to order by a local carpenter. I made a mistake with the handles though. I would dearly love a kitchen with no handles at all.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I love minimalist black/white...