Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning to move to NYC :)
I was having a conversation with my aunt (sister) the other night. I told her I'd like to move to NYC so I could live my life the way I want in an environment where it would be possible.

I did a bit of research and it all seems very doable. I'd have to commute to NJ for my job which would be a 30/40 minute ride. Rent would be quite a bit higher but if I worked some of the overtime I turn down it wouldn't be a problem.

I've only come out a few weeks ago to a few people, around the same time I came to the realization that I was gay.

In this short time I've become a bit restless. I hang out at the previously mentioned bondage club once a week and it's fun...but I need much more than that. My new life can't be hanging out at a club a few hours a week then just go back to the grind of my life.

Nothing binds me to the town I now live in, about 18 miles outside the city. I moved there due to work. But I am not fulfilled or content now.

If I lived in a gay community I could be who I want to be all the time, I'd have opportunities that would not be possible where I live.

My sister was totally on board with this and said I should do what makes me happy.

I said it was crazy that 8 weeks ago I would never have thought or considered any of this, and now I'm thinking of moving to the city.

She said it was like I was in a coma for years, and now I'm alive.

That's about it!

They don't allow gays in NJ ??? Wink I'm mostly teasing. If 18 miles makes or breaks you, by all means move... but remember if you're working all that overtime to afford the new rent, you still won't have time to wear your new gay hat.

I wonder if lineman jobs in NYC pay more than in NJ. Maybe you can find a job in the city and reduce the 5 - 6 hours of weekly commuting. If you're a gay nature lover, you might like the cloisters! :-) Sounds like a great move for you.

As someone who lives in NJ, I can say they allow us here. Wink Smile

Congrats on the move, hope it all goes smoothly!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I live right near you, apparently. I've been out for fifteen years. Where were you thinking of moving?

CellarDweller Wrote:As someone who lives in NJ, I can say they allow us here. Wink Smile

Congrats on the move, hope it all goes smoothly!

Haha, I don't mean I wouldn't be accepted or anything like that. I just mean the opportunities and general lifestyle would be much easier for a single guy who has no gay freinds or connections, outside of the club which is also in the city.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:I live right near you, apparently. I've been out for fifteen years. Where were you thinking of moving?

I was looking at some places in the west village or Chelsea area, it would make my commute to NJ much easire.

reaper Wrote:Haha, I don't mean I wouldn't be accepted or anything like that. I just mean the opportunities and general lifestyle would be much easier for a single guy who has no gay freinds or connections, outside of the club which is also in the city.

I was looking at some places in the west village or Chelsea area, it would make my commute to NJ much easire.

Are there many gay people left there? It seems like Stroller City. And expensive. IDK how it is now but I dated someone who lived in Hell's Kitchen and paid almost $1,000 a month to occupy a loft bed in another guy's living room.

Also take a look at the outbound train schedule when you would need to commute and make sure it will work. A lot of NJT trains go into Sunnyside Yards (in Queens) during the day instead of going back to NJ empty. There are trains, but not as many as going the other way.