Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help! Photo Experts or ANYONE who knows about Photo Digital Identification!!!
Dad said that with new cell phones like Iphone, Samsung and the likes, if you take a picture and transfer it to your computer, you could ask someone who has Photoshop at least version CS6, open the file, from file menu go to "file info" and from the file info you move to "raw data" and you should see the serial number of the phone from which your picture was taken with. Since what you need is to prove from which phone the picture was taken. Print the data and compare the serial number. That will be an indisputable proof for you and your husband.

Older cell phones may not have that option automatically defaulted. Try this and let us know.

Beaux Wrote:It is kinda complicated, but here goes: Back in 2012, my phone plan hit it's expiration date, and we decided to just get a family plan through Apple. Also, at that time, the Navy (who my husband works for) offered all their employees the option of getting an Apple IPhone for their work phones. Unbeknownst to us, Apple ISharing caused pictures from all 3 phones to copy to my husband's work computer. Some of the photos I took were....risqué.....

My husband has explained to his employers that we NEVER knew the Apple account would transfer photos from my phone to his work computer, but we cannot find any information in the file data of the photos that would indicate WHICH phone took the photos--his work phone or my phone....

He has been put on 30 suspenstion, during which time he is supposed to write and present to Navel Intelligence his defense. They are saying he took the photos with his work phone, which simply isn't true.
Of course, it doesn't help that all 3 phones were IPhone 4S.....
I really appreciate all the replies! I will keep y'all posted!
Thanks All!
Beaux

I checked in Adobe Photoshop and while I do see a lot of information not shown in other sources I still only see the make and model, no serial number or host-name. That MIGHT be different with other phones but couldn't guarantee.

The only thing I can currently see that might be a possible loophole would be to prove that all 3 phones were signed into the same apple account. Otherwise it would be hard to explain how a risque photo got on to a work computer, however that explanation probably isn't going to be good enough for the navy.

Couple things. I assume the navy provided service for the workphone? If they didn't then I think that nullifies their argument there. I read into that crap with my former employer and largely why I never used their phone for anything.

One data attribute that might be a unique identifier is this...

Code:
<xmp:CreatorTool>G930VVRU2APD2</xmp:CreatorTool>

The G930 is the model number for the Samsung S7, the rest shows up as the "Baseband Version" in the about phone section. Haven't dug further yet, but that might be something to look into.

I pulled the above in photoshop.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Gideon Wrote:I have no idea how to help you out, man

But it sounds like this is one of those automatic things that happen when you use the Cloud or whatever it is...where they store the data "online" to back up your files and stuff? It connects all the accounts linked to the main one...I'd guess that he used the same email or something for both his work and his personal phones and probably at some point tried to retrieve his work phone information from "The cloud" and ended up getting EVERYTHING from all accounts related, including yours.

I read something similar when I first went to find out what the hell this cloud was my phone kept raving about.

Hope you get it worked out, man. That's just fucked up luck right here.
Fingers crossed for you, man.

I agree with Gideon. The way MS, clouds, iPhone's, browser's ... operate using e-mail to synchronize data it's nearly impossible to keep info from transferring. My bf had personal pictures magically show up on his work computer too. If you use 1 email, or 1 iTunes ... it's very likely. The NSA has copies too. Wink

One of the reasons I don't care for Apple. That and I somehow feel this could possibly be targeted? I mean would you think the Navy would have a cow about someone having a picture of a a woman with exposed breasts?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

just a question...

would this be an issue if these photos had been between a heterosexual couple?

if the rules are consistent between heterosexual and gay couples is my question

axle2152 Wrote:I checked in Adobe Photoshop and while I do see a lot of information not shown in other sources I still only see the make and model, no serial number or host-name. That MIGHT be different with other phones but couldn't guarantee.

The only thing I can currently see that might be a possible loophole would be to prove that all 3 phones were signed into the same apple account. Otherwise it would be hard to explain how a risque photo got on to a work computer, however that explanation probably isn't going to be good enough for the navy.

Couple things. I assume the navy provided service for the workphone? If they didn't then I think that nullifies their argument there. I read into that crap with my former employer and largely why I never used their phone for anything.

One data attribute that might be a unique identifier is this...

Code:
<xmp:CreatorTool>G930VVRU2APD2</xmp:CreatorTool>

The G930 is the model number for the Samsung S7, the rest shows up as the "Baseband Version" in the about phone section. Haven't dug further yet, but that might be something to look into.

I pulled the above in photoshop.
**UPDATE** - Well dad and I ran some tests and the conclusion is that unfortunately Iphones and Samsungs and most smartphones cameras are not storing serial number in the raw data. It works for many "actual" camera (my Canon would store them and it would be clearly indicated) but not for the smartphone phones or tablets.

axle2152 Wrote:One of the reasons I don't care for Apple. That and I somehow feel this could possibly be targeted? I mean would you think the Navy would have a cow about someone having a picture of a a woman with exposed breasts?

Well, and this also answers [MENTION=22801]strider65[/MENTION] question, my husband is actually being accused of misuse of government intelligence equipment. So....technically, it wouldn't matter if the picture was a man or a woman.

It is my personal opinion that this is just an excuse to try and fire my spouse, he is one of the top 5 paid employees in the Navy, and I think they just want to replace him with someone who they can pay less. However, I cannot prove that...

~Beaux

it might be worth noting that back many years ago, in the J. Edgar Hoover heydey of the FBI, simply being gay was considered a security risk in the cold war because it left you subject to blackmail over being gay, that Kremlin secret agents might use blackmail against one in that field that they would out them, as a form of blackmail... and rationale to fire gay members of the armed services as a security risk against the Soviets.

never mind that J. Edgar Hoover was dictating this in full drag with his gay lover, but that is a whole other thread

the point is, if being outed is no longer something that could be a weapon as far as being a security risk...

then their threats would become empty

it might be worth noting that back many years ago, in the J. Edgar Hoover heydey of the FBI, simply being gay was considered a security risk in the cold war because it left you subject to blackmail over being gay, that Kremlin secret agents might use blackmail against one in that field that they would out them, as a form of blackmail... and rationale to fire gay members of the armed services as a security risk against the Soviets.

never mind that J. Edgar Hoover was dictating this in full drag with his gay lover, but that is a whole other thread

the point is, if being outed is no longer something that could be a weapon as far as being a security risk...

then their threats would become empty