Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncertain attraction
I just read the thread "Shameful thoughts" and was impressed at how constructive the discussion was. Because of this I decided to launch a thread about my own dubious attractions.

You see, I too am attracted (not exclusively) to people younger than I - but not at all to prepubescent children as in the case of pedophilia. I'm attracted to adolescents who are under 18 but who are in the later stages or who are done with puberty. One of the terms for this is "ephebophilia", though there seems to be less consensus on this term than on others. (You can get a good overview by starting on this Wikipedia page and browsing the links.) Unlike pedophilia, ephebophilia is not universally regarded as a disorder, and some even say that a level of attraction to adolescents is normal because of how they're becoming more like adults.

Still, for a variety of reasons our culture has settled on 18 as the age of consent, and I can't help but feel bad about the fact that I'm attracted to boys I shouldn't be with. Should I avoid all such thoughts or even seek out counseling? Or should I just shrug and live on with it? I would like to make it clear that I am in no way attracted to the thought of taking advantage of or harming someone younger than me - even in my most indulgent wishful thinking I desire something mutual.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the subject. Please be kind in your delivery but feel free to be brutal in your honesty.