Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please save GLBT resource center at Texas A&M Univeristy [We need your help]
Texas A&M Student Senate Backs Homophobic Measure

Quote:A bill of support passed through the Texas A&M Student Senate last night (04/21) for a Texas Legislature bill (SB-63-106) that would require Texas colleges and universities with GLBT resource centers to provide equal funding for "Traditional and Family Values" Centers promoting heterosexuality.

Camden Breeding, President of GLBT Aggies at Texas A&M University sent us an online petition against the bill, which could cut funding for the University's first queer organization in half.

Jesus Reyes, who graduated from Texas A&M in 2010, admits to The American Independent that campus climate necessitates the center:

So basically, the closed minded Senate at Texas A&M University just signed a registration that cut the funding for our GLBT resource center which is already receiving limited funding into half. They will spend that money on a Traditional and Family Values" Centers promoting heterosexualityr.

This goes against the will of LGBT students at Texas A&M University as well as our allies.

We set up a petition on change.org (which is an effectively online petition method to create pressure on law maker and legislature). We need as much signature as we can to veto that legislation or at least raise enough awareness of the discrimination at TExas A&M University.

You can sign the petition at
http://www.change.org/petitions/protect-...signatures

We need your help.

You can read more about the bill and the legislation at

An open letter to the Texas A&M Student Senate, signed 'An Aggie No More'

Hey Aggie, my school had one of the longest existing GLBT Resource Centers in the country. Thing is, we did all of our own fund raising. Nothing was provided except space.

It 's not about money or fundraising only. It 's about "hatred".
That bill directly attack the LGBT community and our resource center. The approval of that bill shoves down to our throat that equality means nothing in A&M campus which already ranked #17 in homophobic in the USA.
The people who approve the legislation claims that it will help to promote equality on campus. But anyone ever lives in College Station all know a fact that this whole campus is ALREADY good enough in promoting heterosexuality. We have hundred of traditions that ONLY for straight people. (I can name some like guys in corp of cadets HAVE to go on a date from with girls in a sorority for several occasions in a year, a girl and a guy can kiss in a football game every touch down, but if 2 guys or 2 guys do that, the our come wouldn't be the same... ).

Also, the LGBT resource center at Texas A&M is not only about raising fund. It 's a house and a RESOURCE for many people (Aggies and non Aggies). I have friends who attempted to suicide and the resource center did walk them through that, I met several LGBT friends who walk me through the process of accepting myself in the resource center also.
On my bed now, there is a book call "Out to your family, friends and coworkers" that I borrowed from the resource center which reminds me to live a life without lying to people who are matter to me.

About funding, every year, Aggies pay million dollars in student fees and part of that go to resource center like that. Is it fair for us, Aggies to pay our money for a "tradition and family center" which symbolizes hatred?
Many people know that students at Texas A&M are famous for being proud of our traditional values. And HATE is never one of our value.

Sad Yet another disturbing movement. Petition signed, and posted to my facebook

I dont see how that bill could of passed. It would be similar to a bill demanding that since there is a United Negro College Fund, then there should be a United Caucasian College fund. The LBGT center isnt "promoting" homosexuality, it is a support center for people who are homosexual/bisexual/transgendered. Just doesnt make sense.

alrighty i signed the petition and this to me is just retarded

i did sign it by the way, but your best bet to win it is to educate the senate on the issue and ask for a repeal. You should have some good legal minds in your organization. Put them to use. During my time we managed to get a GLBT studies program founded and Nebraska is not that progressive of a place.

First, I want to thank everyone who signed the petition. I really appreciate. We have like 827 signatures now. We need to get to 1000 as soon as possible.

And indeed, the bill DID pass in Texas. The legislator is GOING to pass in Texas A&M if we don't act. Myself is not an active member of any LGBT organization. It 's just I feel responsible to protect the resource center for the shake of many other students at Texas A&M.

Wintereis Wrote:i did sign it by the way, but your best bet to win it is to educate the senate on the issue and ask for a repeal. You should have some good legal minds in your organization. Put them to use. During my time we managed to get a GLBT studies program founded and Nebraska is not that progressive of a place.

College Station is one of the most conservative city in Texas ( and Texas is one of the most conservative State in this country ). We are tight in budget as well as human resource here of LGBT organizations.
However, the GLBT resource center IS NOT an a student organization. It 's a program/department sponsored by the university. We have a different GLBT organization which run by students.
And about the Senate, I watched the debate when they debate about the bill. I feel like they is not possible to educate them. They are all huge bigot.

Pump this thread up. Everyone please take 1 minute to sign this petition for a good cause. There are thousands of students at Texas A&M University need your help.

Thank you for all of your support.
Update
Under the pressure of public opinion, and of course the signature petition, the legistration was vetoed by president of student body last week. Tomorrow, it will be brought up to the Senate again to see if they will vote to override the veto. The change of overriding is very slim, since they need 2/3 vote to override it (while last time they only win with one more vote in 50-50 ). Smile