Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please watch...
ok, so I dont know how many of you watch the x-factor, but this was on the usa one. Everytime I watch this, I break down crying. The way its sung and her pain put into and through this song, I felt. and this is WHY BULLYING MUST STOP! It causes too much pain and self-destruct's peoples lives and day to day thoughts. Now watch this.

I saw that performance when it originally aired, and it was truly moving. The raw emotion she put into the whole performance was just unbelievable. I'm not one to cry, ever, but I was close there. I literally felt my heart drop as she sang through her tears. It's too bad she didn't make it to the live shows.. Sad.

Totally agree with you about bullying too. It really does scar people.. and it's a hard thing to move on from.

Thank you so much for sharing that mate, it was beautiful. There is no better way to retaliate than to succeed while bullies lay in their drug adled urine and vomit

I agree with both of you. Bullying is a waste of time and Im glad I could share this with you dfiant and the rest of the gs family.

Thank you for sharing Ivory.
I still say bullying should be seen as a hate crime.

See it as one , treat it as one , charge them for it and do not ever turn a blind eye to it.
Kill the myths , No it is not a rite of passage into adulthood.
No it is not normal , no not every kid goes through it.

It does kill , it does scar.

It must never be tolerated on any level.

For the most part I was lucky. While I got shunned a lot I almost always had at least one friend, and usually many. I did endure some acts of cruelty and plenty of taunts but I usually didn't feel threatened so I was able to shrug most of it off. Ironically, the one bully I beat the crap out of when I was 16 was more of an excuse...I was actually far more angry what I'd seen her and her friends do to others, so when they decided to test me I suddenly felt carte blanche to show them not everyone would put up with their crap and did it more for their other victims than myself. (But no doubt it helped my morale having several friends not far away.)

Yet there was one truly terrible exception: right after I turned 13 I was placed in a mental hospital (for no good reason) where the vast majority of other kids were 15 and older (and I was small for a 13-year-old anyway), and I had no friends or support there. Some older girls tormented me horribly, violently, and I knew relentless nauseating terror of them. I'd act out simply to be locked away just so they couldn't get at me. Because of the peculiar sequence of events (which included me finally being put on some very powerful drugs for a long time) I can't say how long it went on for but I don't think it was more than a couple of months at most.

But all in all it was a short time and much worse happened to me (including in that hospital) and I thought it behind me. And then last September I started reading Let Me In where there's a graphic description of bullying that brought it all back and I had to put the book down and walk outside for awhile to shake it off. I was almost 30-years-old, approaching 20 years after the fact, and those couple of months still ached inside me...and I wondered if it affected me that much, then what of those who were tormented like that for YEARS, and thought it a miracle that the vast numbers of suicide along with a few school shootings (perhaps even at class reunions) weren't even more numerous.

I got the book again and while I won't share the entire scene, just 3 brief lines that I think described it, and certainly brought back that hellish experience in that hospital I thought nearly forgotten back to me in horrid clarity:

"But the real problem [they had with him] was simply that he existed, and every reminder of his existence was a crime."

"Theirs was the intoxication of the hunter, his the terror of the prey. Once they had actually captured him the fun was over and the punishment more of a duty that had to be carried out. If he gave up too early there as a chance they would put more energy into the punishment instead of the hunt. That would be worse."

"He got up and left the bathroom. Didn't wipe up the drop of blood. Let someone see it, let them wonder. Let them think someone had been killed here, because someone had been killed here. And for the hundredth time."

Cheap, tawdry, meretricious, mawkish sentimentality trying its best to look like emotion and failing. Making ghastly facial expressions while singing a crap song is not emotion, it's prime time television.

In any setting other than among a huge audience teetering on the edge of hysteria it would be seen for what it really is. It has nothing to do with anything except advertising revenue. It debases the currency of emotion and cheapens our culture generally.

Noël Coward said, extraordinary how potent cheap music is. Had he lived to see the histrionics displayed in that clip he would surely have revised his view. That clip shows cheap music being robbed of any conceivable potency and eviscerated on the altar of commercial exploitation.

Your emotional life will be degraded if you let yourself be sucked in by it.

Quote:And then last September I started reading Let Me In where there's a graphic description of bullying that brought it all back and I had to put the book down and walk outside for awhile to shake it off.

Off topic, but this book has recently been made into a great movie of the same title starring Australia Kodi Smit-McPhee (Engaging and enigmatic young actor) and Chloe Grace Moretz, and earlier a Swedish version called 'Lat Den Ratte Komma In' (Let The Right One In).

I haven't seen the Swedish version, but the English version with Kodi and Chloe is awesome.