Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plum Pudding this Christmas?
I was thinking that we could substitute the "fruit" in a Fruitcake with something that doesn't have sugar in it. Maybe use more nuts and make it a Nutcake!!!!

And,, instead of using regular sugar,,, use Splenda as a substitute.

I wouldn't skimp on the Brandy though,,, as that may be it's only saving grace (smile)...

Nutty Jim
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:I was thinking that we could substitute the "fruit" in a Fruitcake with something that doesn't have sugar in it. Maybe use more nuts and make it a Nutcake!!!!

And,, instead of using regular sugar,,, use Splenda as a substitute.

I wouldn't skimp on the Brandy though,,, as that may be it's only saving grace (smile)...

Nutty Jim

OK, Jim, your wishes have come true, I'm giving away my personal recipe that I've guarded jealously for years but here it is for everyone to enjoy. No eggs, no dairy produce, no sugar or mollases.

1 cup of corn/maize oil (don't use any other type of oil)
3 cups of finely grated carrots
2 cups of chopped walnuts
2 cups of chopped dates
1 cup of dessicated coconut
2 cups of wholemeal rolled oats
2 to 2 to and a half cups of wholmeal flour
Salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together, put in to an oiled cake tin and bake in a hot oven for about and hour until it sounds slighly hollow when you tap it.

If you make this come back and tell everyone what it's like.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:OK, Jim, your wishes have come true, I'm giving away my personal recipe that I've guarded jealously for years but here it is for everyone to enjoy. No eggs, no dairy produce, no sugar or mollases.

1 cup of corn/maize oil (don't use any other type of oil)
3 cups of finely grated carrots
2 cups of chopped walnuts
2 cups of chopped dates
1 cup of dessicated coconut
2 cups of wholemeal rolled oats
2 to 2 to and a half cups of wholmeal flour
Salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together, put in to an oiled cake tin and bake in a hot oven for about and hour until it sounds slighly hollow when you tap it.

If you make this come back and tell everyone what it's like.

Goodness gracious,,, that sounds like it would be tasteeeee.... But where's the Brandy!!! (smile).....

I'll add a couple bottles to the recipe so as to spice it up a little (big grin)...

Thanks for the recipe,,, I'll give it a go.

Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

Londoner, what would you consider a hot oven--either in temp Fahrenheit or gas mark?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Grandma's plum pudding had brandy in it and was soused with hot brandy before being set alight to bring to the table. After the flame died down it was served with a sauce whose main ingredient was--you guessed it--brandy. We kids somehow were ready for a nap after the long dinner.

It is very, very rare to see the kind of fruitcake I am talking about. It was kept form year to year in the sideboard and dosed once in a while. I have found a recipe that looks close if anyone is curious.

Axle, you are right. You do not want to break your progress with this stuff. Potent and caloric.

Such fruitcakes and puddings were actually a form of pemmican for the English and Scots who made them. Highly packed with calories/fuel for the chill.

If you poke around in the mountains, Axle, you may find some old families that remember or still do this sort of food. There is certainly some British and Scots influence in the area. You can hear it in the folk tales and music, too.

We do the same thing. We have a plum pudding (more like a cake) and cover it in brandy to light in on fire. Afterwards it is sliced and served with lemon sauce.

LJay Wrote:Londoner, what would you consider a hot oven--either in temp Fahrenheit or gas mark?

Apologies, I'm hopeless when it comes to things like that. I have a gas oven but it's only marked in ºC and I put it on 240ºC which is 475ºF or Gas mark 9. If you make the cake just keep an eye on it. It doesn't rise and is a fairly solid texture but it's delicious. Let me know what you think.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Goodness gracious,,, that sounds like it would be tasteeeee.... But where's the Brandy!!! (smile).....

I'll add a couple bottles to the recipe so as to spice it up a little (big grin)...

Thanks for the recipe,,, I'll give it a go.

Jimeroooo

No reason why you can't add brandy. I have made variations on this cake adding at times ground ginger or the grated rind of a couple of oranges. Good luck with it.

Wow! Gas mark 9 is indeed avery hot oven. Sounds interesting. I have a big bag of candies ginger and might add a little to the cake. Very interesting indeed.

I am also a Type 2 diabetic, Londoner, and I sympathize, especially at this season. So many goodies. I'm sure a serving of plum pudding would put me under, though just smelling it would take me bak to Christmas past.

Got a note from my sister this morning. She is having three 8-year-old girls over to bake cookies today. Brave lady!
I bid NO Trump!

Forgot to mention Ljay that the cake is best eaten the next day after it has cooled down properly. One slice won't harm you.

Yes, I can see that this one would profit from a day's rest to allow the moisture to even out and the flavors to blend.

What size pan do you use? 8 or 9 inch round, 10x5 or other size loaf, tube pan, bundt?

?Do you sprinkle the cake wiith booze or leave it Baptist?
I bid NO Trump!