Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcast
(02-03-2021, 05:24 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: I got to listen. The recordings are actually better than many other initial attempts I've consumed. I agree with the comments above about practicing the articulation and rate of speech, limiting "uhs" and other extraneous mouth noises. We have a local and wonderful DJ on am radio here who smacks his lips and it drives me nuts. He's beloved and precious around here, including to me, but the older he gets the more we hear him pursing up and drawing the lip smack. LOL

I agree. Definitely will have to work on the ughs and the occasional stammering. I think both of those problems can be helped if I simply slow down. I did re-record the 1st actual episode but decided not to post it. It has been a big eyeopener listening to myself which is something I'm not accustomed to.

(02-03-2021, 05:24 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: The first was confusing because of the extended clip at the beginning having no setup and once you began I realized I was glad I just listened and didn't skip through because it was not what I expected. On the second I didn't hear much if any ambient music or noise except for very low level squeaky sounds very infrequently through the episode.

Yes the very first one was mostly a test recording which was why it was somewhat disorganized. The 2nd one is slated to be the first actual episode, I'll probably re-record the very beginning once I decide on a name for the podcast -- and thanks for the suggestions!

The ambient music is fairly quiet, not sure if I need to bump up the level in the future or not. I did tweak with the EQ on my voice and I think future episodes should sound better. Of course if I can ever record in a quiet room, one without noisy computers and aquariums should also help. Noise reduction in Audacity has come a very long way from what I remember years ago.

I do feel I would have more to say on the subjects I bring up if I would do more planning, or simply making an outline, otherwise I ramble and can sort of get lost I guess lol

(02-03-2021, 05:24 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: For me, this can be provocative subject matter so I find it interesting. Having spent years developing my own understanding it was a bit intriguing experiencing someone else at an earlier stage of that process, and taking it somewhat seriously without a great deal of value judgement.

I do try to keep an open mind but there is always bias, contradictions and probably instances where I'm being a hypocrite. Of course I don't necessarily intend to be any of those but it is probably inevitable, especially early on. I might make a remark about something in jest and then say something about being open minded towards what others might believe. I think I made a remark about Miss Cleo, some 20 years ago you heard her commercials about getting your free Tarot card readings and later I think she was sued. While I made those remarks in jest about Miss Cleo many people, especially in the Pagan community do Tarot and could see my remarks offensive. I don't know if I clarified my position on that, probably not.... I think you get the idea, almost slipped into a rant lol.

(02-03-2021, 05:24 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: My last comment is to advise avoiding any self deprecating remarks, or even developed attitudes that might influence or promote bias. I know this is not a big issue with your effort thus far, but having checked out and followed many bloggers, vloggers and podcasters over the years, this concept is my least enjoyed aspect of any running themes. For my listening pleasure, being vulnerable, transparent, genuine, and/or entertaining is degraded by self-deprecation. Introspection in discussion is like values in fine arts painting, it does not take much white or black to have a strong impact on the product.

That, I think, would be an easy thing to do. I do try to avoid talking about personal things, or rather, if I wouldn't say it to my parents, my sister, my friends, I should probably not say it in public...or on a podcast. Funny you mentioned art, because I occasionally paint and some of them got a few compliments on my work, even sold a few pieces and it is easy to fall into that whole "I'm not really an artist," despite having created artwork, artwork that people seem to like an appreciate. Am I on the same level as Rembrandt or Picasso? No but, it isn't and shouldn't be the point.

If you noted me doing any of the above that you mentioned in either recording let me know, as I'd like to review it. I would always want to improve and despite all that I'm sure the first several episodes might be rougher than say if I do this for the next 10 years.

I'll certainly look forward to more Mike! Thank you for sharing it.
[/quote]
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ChadCoxRox

Well I just finished, finally, recording and editing the 2nd episode. Still haven't decided on a name and realize that's going to become pretty important since I'm considering releasing the podcast and publishing a website. I guess I'll probably do something like squarespace since SSL comes with it and isn't all that expensive.

Anyway, the 2nd episode was about panpsychism and talked a little bit about magic at the end. It was an odd subject because it felt like something I knew but decided to look it up and it was a very strange subject and I still don't think I quite understand it since it is sort of a metatheory. Anyway, it is a bummer I can't add a poll to an existing thread to vote on podcast names lol.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm, ChadCoxRox

Did I miss the link? Heart
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

(02-19-2021, 02:12 AM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: Did I miss the link? Heart

Welp...I was hoping to record a few more episodes, figure out the name stuff, create website and then release the 3-4 episodes so that there is enough content up front... Sorry if I made it seem like I was publishing them, but I will soon!
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm, ChadCoxRox

So I guess I am shamelessly plugging this at this point....

However, I only post this because I think it is good content. I am still horrible at interviewing, it is horrendous. However, the guest I had was great and he had a lot of insightful, thought provoking things to say. I was lucky to have Martin Bunzl, Professor Emeritus of Rutgers University willing to come on the podcast.

Full disclosure. I do not make any money from doing this podcast, it is purely expense. Neither I or Bunzl were compensated, although there is a link to his book.

This is, in my opinion, the best episode next to The Existential Ginger.

https://www.spiritualgardening.net/marti...th-nature/

I also started a YouTube channel for the podcast and plan on doing more with video and uploading episodes there as well. I guess I just have to get used to seeing how round I'm getting and blaming it on the fisheye of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJMz2c5...3jGkZIpIDw
Check out my stuff!