Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poetry...
Where online can I get some valid input on the quality of my "poetry"?
So I'm new to this, but I really enjoy writing and I seem to not be able to help spewing out these "poems". I use quotation marks because I'm not sure if they actually qualify as legit poetry. I want to get better and learn some new techniques. Here is an example to give a better grasp of what I mean:

It keeps moving
and moving

never stopping for anyone
or anything

so quick
so fast
moments hardly last…

fleeting memory a good thing though
hardships come and swiftly go

then everything is fine again
and all over again

— Train

Hey! I also like writing poems so I can give you some things that I do when writing one. A lot of times at work I think of words that are deep to me and then just randomly find words in my head that match it. I also suggest going to the rhyming dictionary website and plug words in. You may also find words that way that you haven't thought of that way. I also have a word document with a rhyming word bank that I save for a future use. I sometimes have a whole line saved.

When I get to writing, I do a rough rough draft and then I will re-read it a lot and sometimes switch lines to see how that matches or sounds to see if I like it better. Sometimes I'll move a whole block to the front. After I think I got that down, I look to see if there is anyway of trimming it or see if anything blocks the flow.

cool, the poem i posted is one of my least rhyming/ stylized ones, but i only had a few to choose and thought it was a good example of my style (so far).

where do you go to get good criticism? or do you?...

I'm afraid I don't really go anywhere for it since mine are more of it being personal. The ones I do post is Facebook which my friends tend to like, but if you want true criticism you can probably join DeviantART. I've seen some poetry posted on there from time to time and most will be glad to give their advice.

I believe poetry doesn't have to follow any specific formula. It just needs to read fluid. When I write poetry, I tend to do it in my head for a few weeks until I finally write it down; but there are many different processes.

I can't post links yet, but there's a site called Writers-Network. Members post their poems and other writers review your work and you review theirs. I have a friend on there, and she says the best way to increase the number of reviews you get is to review other people, since a lot of people will reciprocate. My friend also says she has improved her work and learned a lot from other poets on there.