Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poetry
as much as i like mystery, i find poems that are kid-oriented more appealing as i do understand them easily, and i get the message rather, clearly.

Thanks for sharing this poem Wintereis. I enjoyed reading it very much. I've read it several times now and I'm enjoying the vivid imagery your use of language conjures up.
I'm an avid reader but poetry is not something I've delved into in a major way. I do need to broaden the scope of my reading material though.
I did write alot of poems when I was at Art School afew years ago, but they were more an outpouring of a troubled soul at the time and I used poetry as a vehicle of release. Very cathartic experience it was too Confusedmile:
I have them all in a folder somewhere, I'll maybe post one or two if I can find them.

Thanks bookworm. I suppose, at one point, I probably did the same with my writing, using it for catharsis. I think that is the way many people start out. Some leave poetry afterward, some evolve out of that mode, and others, kind of get stuck in it like Plath. It was good hearing from you.

The poem, Fractal I: Deep Time, came about after viewing the fifteen-thousand-year-old petroglyphs of the Indian Caves Park in South Eastern Nebraska. What fascinated me about the area was that the ancient natives of the area seemed to have overwritten the prehistoric marine animals fossilized in the stone. The petroglyphs were themselves over written by modern European settlers of the area and these overwritten by modern visitors. Unlike most people who would see such an occurrence as destructive, I saw the whole phenomenon as a form of continuity, as a layering of time over time. I became interested in how, in writing of the subject, I too was writing myself into this history and, how each reader of a poem unconsciously writes themselves into that poem at an epistemic level. I wished to draw the reader’s attention to this layering effect and their part in it as he or she read, so that there could be a metaresponce through their inclusion in the poem.