Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politics....The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
...just kidding ...

How about just the good? Just this once....

Are there any politicians or world leaders whom you respect? like? love?...

They can be current/former/historical/local/state...anything really.....but someone you think of in a positive light?

My solid 10 out of 10 list...the politicans I hold in high esteem and have had a completely positive impact on me....

Jimmy Carter
Norman Mineta
Gavin Newsome
Antonio Villaraigosa
Nelson Mandela
Elizabeth Warren
Ann Richards
Dennis Kucinich
Tom Campbell

Others who I do like and would give them a favorable rating but have some problems with...

Barbra Boxer, Sam Farr, Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Mike Honda, Jerry Brown, Joe Biden, Olympia Snowe, Richard Nixon (yeah...I know), Pierre Trudeau, Janet Gray Hayes, Willie Brown....

Do you have any positive impression of any politicians?

Frankly I've always appreciated Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) for his work with Senator Edward Kennedy on HIV and AIDS funding.

Senator Hatch's Remarks on the Ryan White CARE Act
https://sites.google.com/a/queerrhetoric...e-care-act

On a personal side I admire Maine's openly gay Democrat candidate for governor, Michael Michaud. The race is neck and neck.

The last one I liked was Alexander the Great. Smile

V for Victory!
[Image: a4u4umyr.jpg]

Although he wasn't just a politician he was a bulldog, I've read a book about him "blood, toil, sweat and tears" been to his home (chartwell house) I think he was sent by god because there was nobody else, the 30’s are known for him as the wilderness years, he knew about germany and nobody would listen, the more I learn about him the more I admire and in awe

You've named several good ones, East, and I agree with you list of problematics. Dennis Kucinich has always been high on my list. Willie Brown and Jerry Brown (obviously not related for those of you unfamiliar with them) are on my sHit list. I've met Jerry several times and I consider him to be an capital A ass hat. I didn't know Willie but I knew enough to know I didn't want to.

The one truly great "world leader" (if you can call him that, albeit not a politician) that still brings tears to my eyes when I hear recordings of his speeches is Martin Luther King. He was a great orator and a man of vision that inspired millions, especially of my generation. Still does. Sadly it was his tiptoeing into world politics through his opposition to the Vietnam war that got him taken out. (That, of course, is *conspiracy theory,* but TRUE nevertheless.)

Nigel Farage
[Image: a3ugebuj.jpg]
Some people would say he was the bad but I love him but it is an ongoing thing, I don't know whether to be hopeful or pessimistic about how far ukip can go.

Adolph Hitler. Great Leader. Turned the economy and situation around for Germany a full 360 degrees.

MikeW Wrote:You've named several good ones, East, and I agree with you list of problematics. Dennis Kucinich has always been high on my list. Willie Brown and Jerry Brown (obviously not related for those of you unfamiliar with them) are on my sHit list. I've met Jerry several times and I consider him to be an capital A ass hat. I didn't know Willie but I knew enough to know I didn't want to.

The one truly great "world leader" (if you can call him that, albeit not a politician) that still brings tears to my eyes when I hear recordings of his speeches is Martin Luther King. He was a great orator and a man of vision that inspired millions, especially of my generation. Still does. Sadly it was his tiptoeing into world politics through his opposition to the Vietnam war that got him taken out. (That, of course, is *conspiracy theory,* but TRUE nevertheless.)

I would definitely second your mention of MLK...I love the man. I also thought of one more whom I loved that was sorta a politician.....Eleanor Roosevelt. I also really liked Bella Abzug.

I have heard the same thing about both of the Browns before actually....

Kucinich was my only pick in 2008...I was disappointed that he left the race before California.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Winston Churchill
Harry Truman
Geraldine Ferraro
Nelson Mandela
Angela Merkel
Ruth Bader-Ginsburg

There are not a lot of politicians that are good at the moment. Most are corrupted in someway. Even those mentioned are corrupted to some extent.