Brazil
Canada

Negative:

Saudi Arabia
India
Singapore
Egypt
Lebanon (put aside my deep disdain)

princealbertofb Wrote:I'm not sure it helps just to make a list that will seem random. Could you maybe explain some of the particular points that give you those impressions?

For instance, some people have listed Switzerland, and while this country may seem like a pleasant place to live, maybe many of you don't realise how parochial it is, and I might add quite selfish. This does not mean there is nothing wrong with its French neighbour, which there is. Would I throw Switzerland out with the bathwater like the proverbial baby? Probably not, but there are aspects of the country that I would not like to keep. And yet, to give it credit, I think both Zurich and Geneva top the list of best places to live in the world.
Again, I think it might help to know what criteria is used to measure that.

I did think about asking for a brief explanation...but...I thought it would even be more interesting just seeing what names came up for whatever reasons...because the reasons are completely subjective..positive and negative impressions..and what we each notice...or think is important...was it the politics? the people? the geography? the reputation?....so many factors influence our subjective individual perceptions and experiences....

For instance...my top two...Japan and Canada...probably always resided on my Top Five List because of my subjective interpretation ..the others come and go.....but rarely..if at all..have any of the Top Five rotated to the Bottom Five...

For me..Japan....The efficiency in which they move the masses..their trains...the architecture....the technology...the customs...the people....For Canada..the politics...the sanity...the lack of violence...the people..the geography...(and I love Moose :biggrin: )

I know..brief...but these are some of the factors that influenced my decision....

Positive

New Zealand
Japan
Norway
Denmark
South Korea

Negative

North Korea
China
Saudi Arabia
Libya
Myanmar (Burma)
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

off the top of my head,

positive:
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
France
Australia
Canada (<---forgot about it)

negative:
Russia
China
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Positive:

USA
France
Italia
UK
Brazil
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Switzerland
Netherlands
Spain

Negative:

Russia
Uganda
Jerusalem
Egypt
Mexico
Colombia
Venezuela

I have a small list ..not complete by any means

Positive :

Canada - some of the best gay laws I have personally read about
New Zealand - its a nuclear free zone .. they have there heads screwed on
Iceland - lesbian PM ... so im included over there

negative :

Saudi Arabia -- and all similar country's ,, yes its a bit general - but any country that will flog me, stone me, imprison me - plain and simple murder me - for be what ...Gay ....you loose out on my holiday money just for that Smile

matty7 Wrote:I have a small list ..not complete by any means

Positive :

Canada - some of the best gay laws I have personally read about
New Zealand - its a nuclear free zone .. they have there heads screwed on
Iceland - lesbian PM ... so im included over there

negative :

Saudi Arabia -- and all similar country's ,, yes its a bit general - but any country that will flog me, stone me, imprison me - plain and simple murder me - for be what ...Gay ....you loose out on my holiday money just for that Smile

Love your list..and your reason Matty...and I would have included Iceland...it is often in the Top Five already...but I wanted to give a shout out to Slovenia for their advances of late...so Iceland got bumped :biggrin:

As for the negative...it is the people who often make or break my opinion of the country. For instance...I agree about the countries with the laws...in my personal experience..I love the Middle Eastern people I know and interact with...and I feel sorry for the North Koreans who I consider slaves...and I love the Chinese people in general...adore them even...so even though their countries suck for alot of other reasons and I see why they rightfully belong on any list...the people for one reason or another have won me over enough to not include them....

CaptainAwesome Wrote:it's unfortunate that FIFA is allowing Russia to host the next World Cup.

unfortunately, FIFA is more about who buys their favor, than having any solid consciousness or care for their international image and influence, and consequently also no care for being a sell-out.
''Do I look civilized to you?''