Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positivity vs. Negativity
Its time for another little philosophical rant from moi.

My life is somewhat strange... there has never really been a dramatic event that I can say shaped my views or did something to make me feel good or bad. But somehow, in my mind, my emotions have been all over the place. When I was young, I knew nothing more than hatred and anger due to the uncaring kids I went to school with, and now I find myself surrounding myself with positivity. The end result however is a moot point, as I find myself neither happy or sad, but not empty either. I feel neutral despite any positive or negative thoughts I may have. The only time I can say I felt one way or the other was when I felt so hateful and alone in my youth, the negativity was so easy to lose myself in.

So I want to know how you guys deal with any negative emotions or events? Do you try to surround yourself with positive emotions? What kind of positivity and negativity do you have in your life, and what is your overall state of emotions?

Well I put on headphones and play music. Also spend time with friends. But it gets harder now with so much negative stuff and watching things go down the shitter. But those are things I do.

Mick

That might possibly be the spiritual medium balance you are on Dougieloops

IYAAA I think I am a pretty.. Neutral person - I don't really see everything in a negative way, but I don't deny that it can be negative or positive if that makes sense. I'm very much a realist and pretty much I'm more than likely ready to go.. Right this has happened didn't want it now lets move on to our next move - rather than OH MY GOD MY WORLD IS COLLAPSING OH NOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHH type Big Grin

btw.. IYA DOUG Big Grin x
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

i think i was neutral because of the people that was around me

For me, listening to music doesn't work. I have to actively process negative emotions/situations. Face it/butt heads with it/retreat and process. Basically, brood. :biggrin: Sometimes I will make music because banging on the piano kind of gives order to chaotic thoughts inside my head. I can pause, think, play some more kind of thing. Or, I go outside and kick a soccer ball around or something similar so that I can be alone with my thoughts. But, whatever I do it has to be active.

So when I was younger, I would get very lost within the negativity at this point and let the brooding control me. Now, I try to pinpoint the negativity, consider the source, look inside and see if I need to change, improve, eliminate, laugh at myself or whatever.

Then I redirect the negativity into something positive. I found this is really important as far as moving beyond/letting go for me. If someone is unkind to me, I think it's important to introduce a kindness back into the world. I'm not talking any great act but something that makes me feel gentle, usually something with nature. Sometimes it's nothing more than making sure our bird-feeders are full.

I know it's kind of lame, but it's just what works for me as I'm trying to figure out me. Peace. Confusedmile:

I really so try my best to stay positive, the trick for me is finding little bits of awesome threw out the day. Sometimes it's as easy as listening to some music or watching one of those youtube videos with the cats being cute.

Most of my negativity these days is work related, after along day sometimes i get home just tired, hungry and cranky. The this case I like to put on my gloves an give my punching bag a good workout.

I think almost everyone goes through those teenage pissed for no apparent reason stage, I know i did. I swear there was point in high school when I only spoke like one word a week. I would just brood around with my headphones on listening to bands like NoFx an Rancid.

I think it's best to try an stay as positive as possible, even through the bad patches of life and if you can't than hell that's why we invented Zoloft right....<joking

Happiness for me has been a learned skill. I've had years of depression, and what has worked for me - apart from meds - has been largely better habits of life. These things have helped me stay positive.

Drinking less alcohol and smoking less dope. This is a no brainer. You use up all the happies for the whole next two days when you party hard. Your fun is on credit, and you end up running a debt constantly.

Exercise a little every day. It doesn't seem to matter what kind, just get moving a little.

Don't stuff myself with food. Being a little hungry perks me up.

Caring less what others think of me. Not taking crap from ignorant people. I think I was far too worried about this. It's a free country. Who cares about making a false good impression? I'm far more comfortable with self respect and expressing my views than faking agreeableness.

Having a few close friends I can totally be myself around. I can't be happy unless I'm accepted.

Making a little progress in some way - it could be anything, practicing music, saving a bit of money, some kind of undeniable improvement. Being satisfied with small progress.

Comparing down rather than up. Instead of looking at the guy who seems to have everything, I remember that 3 out of 4 people alive right now would probably trade places with me because I have running hot water, electricity, a fridge and stove. It's easy to become a fat, comfortable ingrate. I try to cultivate gratitude consciously.

Sitting up and smiling and acting cheerful brings on the good feelings. Sure it feels "phony" at first, but getting over the false pride, and just trying this, it really works.

Saying hello to the person behind the cash desk, smiling more. You get little pats on the head, and it feels good.

Problem, when I was depressed I couldn't do any of this. Really, in spite of the side effects, drugs do work if you need them.

as a Virgo, i'm more of a negative type of person. always thinking ahead about all the possible bad things that may happen. but i've learned that the best way to handle negativity is to surround yourself with good people. those that'll make you laugh. and you'll find yourself better in no time.

I make people laugh for a living.

But, oddly enough, comics are known for their negativity.

A few years ago, I tried an experiment. I tried to not judge myself, or any other comic. I tried to find the joy in what I was doing, which can sometimes be hard, because comics often have to talk about negative things in order to get the audience to laugh. That's what laughter is, a shared acknowledgment that something morbid, negative, unfortunate, annoying - is bad. But laughter is also a way of PROCESSING that badness, and saying, hey, this is negative, but also pretty absurd.

Since a few years ago, when I started trying to find the joy every time I do comedy, I've become much more fun to be around, and much more at ease with myself on stage. And, I'm just as funny. For now. Knock wood.

I will agree with other people on this board when they say that happiness is something you have to choose and work for. I was depressed for years, and only in hindsight can I admit to myself that I was choosing that, too.