Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PrEP (This is IMPORTANT)
Read this first and then give your opinion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36946000

Isn't this like the Government giving a licence to have safe sex? Isn't it the responsibility of the individual to take care of his own health? OK, the rate of HIV in gay men has been increasing years by year and the cost of treating HIV individuals is enormous and if the NHS (already underfunded) is to provide PrEP at a cost of £400 a month it might work out cheaper than treating HIV positive patients. Even so, I can't help but think that it is the responsibility of the individual and not the Government.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

It is the responsibility of the individual, I agree. In a perfect world you wouldn't have people lying about when they were last tested (or if they've been tested) for HIV and other STD's. However, I know of many instances were guys lied just to get laid. However, the larger picture is similar to that of vaccinations, it is about controlling the spread of diseases among the general population and the long term effects it has. So I think the government stepping in and doing something at large is fine. I think the government should have a limited role in aiding the prevention of spreading of diseases.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

My concer is that too many people will think that PrEP allows them to have unprotected sex with anyone and everyone. I've read up on this and lots of people believe they are protected completely from HIV, like there are no other STDs.

I think that it's kinda the goverments fault, they dont teach us about it in school, which is when most ppl begin to have sex, ofc we should take care of our selves, but how are we gonna do that when some of us dont even know what's wrong with them, i have had all the sexual lectures planned for my school time and i dont know how any of the sexual transmitted diseases look, and i only learned about 1 kind of prevention = condoms.

My concern about Prep, which isn't based on anything other than how new it is, is that we don't know if there will be long-term implications from taking it, such as developing tolerance/resistance.

And you make a good point [MENTION=23195]MickTheMousie[/MENTION] ... the US is largely a sex-phobic society (despite being rabid consumers of pr0n) and it keeps us from being candid with young people about sex and the risks.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:My concern about Prep, which isn't based on anything other than how new it is, is that we don't know if there will be long-term implications from taking it, such as developing tolerance/resistance.

And you make a good point [MENTION=23195]MickTheMousie[/MENTION] ... the US is largely a sex-phobic society (despite being rabid consumers of pr0n) and it keeps us from being candid with young people about sex and the risks.

The thing is, i'm from denmark, where sex isn't a big deal, we have the most nightstands in the world and such, anyway is, my point is that even in a country like that, the sex ed sucks, and i know that in most of the us you dont even have sex ed cuz some morons think it can cause people to wanna experiment with it...... -.-'

ive got scruff on my phone and in many profiles it will state that they are on PreP and will bttm for anyone - I don't believe that was the intention of the drug but its already been used in that way

MickTheMousie Wrote:I think that it's kinda the goverments fault, they dont teach us about it in school, which is when most ppl begin to have sex, ofc we should take care of our selves, but how are we gonna do that when some of us dont even know what's wrong with them, i have had all the sexual lectures planned for my school time and i dont know how any of the sexual transmitted diseases look, and i only learned about 1 kind of prevention = condoms.

It is first and foremost the role of parents to teach their kids about sex. Of course, some parents fail. This is why the school steps in to supplement what parents teach at home, hopefully.

Sometimes people just have to educate themselves. In the 21st century, most people learn early in life that sex comes with risks. There is so much information out there on sex that can keep us safe.

Could PrEP potentially make HIV go extinct? If that's the case, I think it's fair to make it the NHS' responsibility.

But what about the rest of the world? It's not like as if the UK is isolated. Obviously, having the UK HIV-free in 100 years would be a fantastic step in the right direction, but the PrEP treatment would have to continue past that.

And I agree, it seems feasible that being on PrEP would give a false sense of security to some, who would otherwise have used condoms - not that you can't use both!

I agree 100% that it is the responsibility of the person engaging in sexual activity that they make sure that they're as safe as possible both for themselves and their partner. The NHS is definitely underfunded but that is because of people not looking after themselves in even the easiest of ways, those who have real conditions that aren't caused by themselves end up in a queue with those who have lived unhealthy lifestyles who rely on the NHS to make them better when they could have avoided this in the first place. Prep will not stop the rise of HIV, peoples attitudes to sex can reduce the risks if they just thought about more then getting off in that moment.