Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practically Scared to go Outside
It's been several months since my friendship with eight people was brought to a sudden and traumatic close. It was... I guess I'll just tell the whole story. Keep in mind that during the whole story, even when I say things were going well, I still felt uncomfortable and tense. The story is rather long, so I recommend reading it in pieces.

There was this guy. (That's how it always starts, right?) I guess I'll call him "M." He was a part of a group of friends that has about 8 core members, of which I was one. I really liked him, but of course, he was straight. The other day, I told him that I had feelings for him and that I didn't want it to get between us. I was up late studying for my English final, going over old tests and essays and whatnot, when I heard the ping of my instant messenger. I went over to check it and it was from M. I found the transcript somewhere in the depths of my chat log and I'll post it here.

Quote:M: I thought about what you said.
Eric: Huh?
M: I knew for a while, you've made it pretty obvious since you came out to me.
Eric: Ok
M: The thing is, the way you act changes when you're around me and it has to stop. It's embarrassing.
Eric: ...
M: We've all seen it, your voice gets higher, you act a more feminine, if it doesn't stop, then I can't deal with you. I'm sick of it.
Eric: I think my internet connection is going to cut out.

Not only was M the first person I came out to as being gay, but the first person to reject me (certainly not the last), and the harshest. I just lay in my bed, more shocked than anything until I had to leave for my final at 9:30 in the morning. Of course, as luck would have it, M was in my English class. I walked into the classroom and he was sitting in his usual spot. I still felt raw and bruised, so I sat on the other side of the room. Al, a friend who was also in the group, came up to me and said "Eric, why aren't you sitting by M?" I couldn't even speak, I just shook my head. "Eric, what's wrong? Why aren't you sitting by M?" I swallowed the lump in my throat and managed to croak out, "Because he's a bastard." even that was too much for me, because I had to leave the room before I made a scene. I cried a little in the bathroom. Ten minutes later, I was able to compose myself enough to take the final, but headed immediately home. It took a few months, but we gradually smoothed things over, but I never had time to get over him on my own terms.

Fast forward to January. M was home from college on winter break, and we were hanging out with everybody else. Anne, much took charge of the group, she was a great friend and I trusted her with pretty much everything, in fact, she helped smooth things over with M, and knew that I still had strong feelings for him, but that I couldn't show them. We had a great time that night, and M was taking me home in his car. We arrived at my house without incident, but just before I got out of the car I remarked that he was unusually close to Anne that night. He kind of smiled and said, "Wait, you don't know about us?" I was inordinately dense that night so I didn't realize what he was saying, I just said "Nope," and closed the car door. I turned to leave when I heard his door open. He stood up and said proudly, "Anne is my girlfriend." I don't remember much after that, I remember my shoulder and then my head hitting the side of the car and then waking up on the grass with M standing over me. I sat up and motioned to stand, but stumbled and ended up on all fours on the grass with cold sweat on my face. It took about a week for it to really sink in what he had said and the implications.

Fast forward to Spring Break. M was back in town. The group and I were together and Anne and M had zero concept of when it is appropriate to make out. Several times it would start right in front of me and once M was leaning against me with Anne on top of him. I got Anne alone once, and explained to her that I would prefer if they would use more discretion in when they choose to get lost in each others mouths. She agreed and I had a good feeling that she would keep her word, at least from then on they would go to another room, it still irked me that Anne would invite all of us over just to disappear five minutes later with M. I had the group over at my house, the day before M was to leave to resume his classes, when the two disappeared again. I went to get something from my room and M was in his boxers and Anne's shirt was open and they were on top of each other on my bed. "Oops, I got carried away." Anne said, with the expression of a small child that didn't know what they did was wrong. I went out to my car in the driveway, folded my arms on the steering wheel and thought about how a seemingly perfect friendship had degenerated to that point, but I figured that soon, M would be gone and I would be able to have fun again.

Fast forward to March. It was Saturday and the group and I had hung out at Anne's. I didn't have the car and was stuck at my house. I had some cleaning to do but I could clean and hang out at the same time. I called up Anne and said I wanted to hang out at my house because I had to clean, she said she'd call everybody and tell them and they'd be over soon. Two hours later, nobody had shown up, so I called to check in. "Oh, yeah, last night we decided to come over to my house so we could play the N64 and we don't want to watch a movie at your house because there isn't much else to do there, we can pick you up if you want." I had about a day left of cleaning to do and was a little irked that she apparently found my house so boring, so I explained the cleaning I had to do to her, and she said that we couldn't hang out that day but that she really wanted to hang out with me. I suggested she bring the N64 over to my house, but she claimed it was far too tangled with the other wires at her house. (That confused me, because she got it two days before) but I was insistent on hanging out, which admittedly, was dumb. That's when the conversation took a nosedive. She explained that I was being selfish. I responded by saying I thought it was equally selfish of her to not want to bother untangling a wire. This went back and forth for a while until I simply said "You know what? You guys are asses." and I hung up. I was devastated, she had never spoken to me like that before and I cried for about an hour. Little did I know that would be the last time I would be able to cry.

I waited a few hours and called her back. I said I was wrong and that I just wanted to fix things and put this incident behind us. She said "I don't know if I can forgive this, you called me selfish." This baffled me, because she was the first to use that word in that conversation. I said, "Yes, but you also called me selfish, and I think--" she cut me off by saying I was just a lying fag and that I've caused her far too much stress for us to repair this relationship. (because apparently, it's impossible to have a full days worth of cleaning). I inquired as to what exactly I did that stressed her out. She responded by rattling off a list of 24 things she hates that I do or make her do. The list included "Joking about M even though he rejected me like ten times" which is not true, it was once, and joking about it was my way of getting over the incident. And she also said such gems as "I hate how you leave the room like a pussy whenever you're angry" and "I hate having to comfort you when you're upset." I was stunned. "I... I guess this isn't going to work out." I said to which she replied, "I guess not." and I hung up. It was a strange feeling I had after that, It was like I was watching myself from outside my body. I sank to the floor and tried to cry but couldn't. I couldn't do anything but stare at my phone in disbelief. I would later find out that this was the beginning of what my doctor referred to as "Non-Combat Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder," a diagnosis I received a couple of weeks ago. That night, she posted a status update talking about the wonderful dayshe had with all her friends, listing everybody except for me. Later I find out that everybody else in the group is mad at me, all except Al are speaking to me, and even he is, quote: "Disappointed that I made Anne so stressed and how my relationship with the group was always one-sided.

At any rate, because of all of this, I can barely bring myself to leave the house. The only places I would go to are also her favorite spots and I'm afraid if I run into her again, I won't be able to remain as calm as I did during the fight. I can't even bring myself to get groceries because she goes to the same store as me often and sporadically. The closest other store is a fifteen minute drive while this one is about 300 yards away. All my other friends who I have become close to go to school out of town, and I'm afraid to get close to new people, because I had only known that group for about two years. In class, I talk about my interests with others, but never anything personal, and I would never dream of flat out saying "I'm gay" like I did with the last group. I've seriously considered moving out of state, but I don't have the money and I'm already enrolled at the Community College and I don't want to deal with transferring. I feel alone and I don't know how to cope. I see a psychiatrist regularly, but it doesn't help a great deal.

Wow. I thought about it and I feel better just typing this all out.

First of all, Bighug .

Ok!:
1) I also suffer from PTSD, Why loads of people assume its always combat related is beyoned me.

2) The only thing that you posted that made you seem selfish is the fact you insisted on your "Friends" going to your place and hanging out. Which isn't a huge thing, but it is a little silly.

3) Anne making out with M everywhere is selfish indeed, Doubly so infront of someone whos known to have feelings for the latter.

4) Calling her selfish and everyone at the party assess, was a little mean. But it DOES NOT give her reason to read a list of everything she hates about you down the phone. Not that you can be excused either.

5)PTSD is nasty, i recomend making new friends, and perhaps trying to fight your fear of going out in small doses building up confidence to go out and do more and more.

Hope this helps!Confusedmile:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

"You're learning that just 'cause they call themselves friends doesn't mean they'll call."

A quote from an Amanda Palmer song.

Anyways, in my experience, it is best to remain passive for a while. Your emotions are yours to feel, but they are yours, not the other way around. Breathe, let what will be, be. Gorge yourself in what you want to feel for a night, and let the feeling go. That's all I can tell you right now, as I am exhausted. Smile

Omigod...I kinda wanna reach out and hug you... In my opinion, you were right in your assessment of the other people's assness.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Linguanaut Wrote:Wow. I thought about it and I feel better just typing this all out.

Keeping a journal may be a good idea. Helps put things in perspective...

good luck Wink

I don't know how psychiatrists define it, although I may become one in the future, but I'd say that what you experienced is something that may ruin one's future.
Something of the same kind happened to me, but then I've never really been much sociable and part of groups and stuff. However, because of it, I became a closed person that lives on his own but for the others. After six months of weekly talks with the psychologist, I am ready to change no matter what.

I hate myself for giving the personal example above. BUt I have to say that it wasn't only the psychologist that helped. I realized that it is much more important for one to feel good with who he is himself and change only for the most important people. It doesn't matter what they all say. Personal happiness stands above all.
As Vikta said, a journal is something that may be very helpful. Even if it is not as personal, I mean, like a blog.
But first I think you should know that you are a great person. Believe in yourself and open your heart and mind for new people.

I fear this was rather confusing than helpful.

Well, my suggestion is to continue to see your therapist, realize that there are more people in the world who might make better friends (honestly, friends are supposed to be supportive and not rub their relationships in other people's faces), and get out of the house. There is nothing to fear. You come across one of them, do as you would when you get upset, walk away from the negative situation and use positive coping skills to destress. As far as your PTSD, everyone reacts to situations differently. Know that you are not alone. Many people suffer from PTSD. And with all the PTSD that I have dealt with in my life and career, I have never found a case so severe that the understanding that one can either be a victim or a survivor of trauma has not held true. I have suffered PTSD from two experiences. I will share these with you in hope that you understand that you can move on from it. When I was a very young child, not understanding the difference between gender and sexuality, I made the mistake of telling my friends I wanted to be a girl. Consequently, they held my down and beat me with a log and then pissed on me. I still have a scar from the incident cutting across my brow. The second incident came when I was only a year older than you are now. In that incident, I was raped. The thing is, I chose to live my life after these incidents, to realize that I could let it dominate the person I was or to say to myself, "these things were forced upon me. They are not me. The person I am is not dictated by others and their actions, but my ability to overcome such trials". People are always far stronger than they realize. They human mind and the human body are far more reziliant than we often let on. Realize your strength and that you are a survivor and not a victim.

I firmly beleive that freeing your mind is the best approach so what I do in these types of situations is look at it from a different angle...and then another...try putting yourself in each of the other person's shoes. I know when I feel like a victim I am missing my own part in the situation and when I can finally see what part I played and take responsibility for my own actions it frees me. Being brutally honest with myself is what works for me. I do wish you success in overcoming this soon.