Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential Debate
Since the debates are tonight, i figured i would actually take some time to watch the whole thing. I'm truly curious to see what both sides have to say. Personally, i don't really have an opinion, not yet at least. if i could vote it would be on who i believe would be a better president come next term. The only thing personally, that i dont really like is that Romney apparently doesn't support LGBT marriage equality.

I found, well accidentally stumbled upon, this page where they reason both sides out, what some of the apparent facts are, etc. What do ya'll think of it? If you do vote, which candidate would it be for? is anyone else watching the debate tonight?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/truth...ction.html

Yaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn Munky2

I'll listen to the debate but I doubt I'll actually WATCH much of it, I'll probably be multitasking with at least a couple online convos going.

Who am I voting for? Well, probably Obama - Yes I was initially going with Romney, but the more I see of him, the less I like him. Okay so I'm not keen on quite a few things with Obama either but, I've got my reasons for choosing him over Romney despite my support of gun rights, and thinking Romney would probably bring the stock market up faster than Obama.

LGBT issues seem to concern our president only during election year. it doesn't
seem like we have a real voice in either party except during election year. we
really need more barney frank's and a voice in the legislature.

the courts seem to be our best friends in the government, but keeping our
concerns voiced in public forums is always the most important help we have.

ok, way to much serious talk for my taste.

hugz and political smoochies

Butter

the debate will be held in Denver Colorado and will focus on domestic issues. Denver time, 8-9:30pm locally on channel 2 tv. thats starting 10pm eastern time and 7pm in LA. I hope i got the times correct?

Denver; they are stopping traffic on the main freeway through town form 5-9:30pm for security. This will massively mess up rush hour traffic and dump bad driving suburbanites onto the city streets. the debate will be held at a private university's sports arena. It holds several thousand spectators but they have most of the seats blocked off and only a thousand people will attend. You can be they are not the average joe.

This President has done more for LGBT people during his ENTIRE Presidency than any other President and moved us forward more than any other President.

It's OK if you dont' like him but don't lie about him. Alot of us have worked very long and hard for this to happen...and it has...thanks to Mr Obama.

As for the debate...I am a Political Junkie so of course I will watch.

I've already decided I'm voting for Obama over Romney, but he's definitely the lesser evil as opposed to someone I'd want to represent me, or put another way I'm not voting for Obama so much as I'm voting AGAINST Romney. I'm a little bitter about it, I feel like I'm being forced to have my bed filled with cow patties just to avoid the bucket of diarrhea instead. Yeah, I know, icky metaphor, but that's how I feel.

That said, there are points I appreciate about Obama (and consider him--generally speaking--a vast improvement over Bush and a better choice than McCain would've been), and I admit to being very pleasantly surprised by what he's done for the gay community even before he took a stand for true equality (over his previous "less inequality"). I know that cost him votes and I believe he's smart enough to know it, too.

But if America had IRV then Gary Johnson would be my first choice (I liked him even back when he identified as Republican). That's not to say he and I see eye to eye, just that he's the one I could live with the best, and I think he's one of those very rare politicians with ethics and a concern for the nation over special interests (that being why he didn't stand a chance of the Republican nomination for POTUS). Jill Stein would be my 2nd choice, whom I could still live with, and Obama my 3rd and last choice I made sighing and, again, seeing it as a vote against Romney.

Pix Wrote:I've already decided I'm voting for Obama over Romney, but he's definitely the lesser evil as opposed to someone I'd want to represent me, or put another way I'm not voting for Obama so much as I'm voting AGAINST Romney. I'm a little bitter about it, I feel like I'm being forced to have my bed filled with cow patties just to avoid the bucket of diarrhea instead. Yeah, I know, icky metaphor, but that's how I feel.

That said, there are points I appreciate about Obama (and consider him--generally speaking--a vast improvement over Bush and a better choice than McCain would've been), and I admit to being very pleasantly surprised by what he's done for the gay community even before he took a stand for true equality (over his previous "less inequality"). I know that cost him votes and I believe he's smart enough to know it, too.

But if America had IRV then Gary Johnson would be my first choice (I liked him even back when he identified as Republican). That's not to say he and I see eye to eye, just that he's the one I could live with the best, and I think he's one of those very rare politicians with ethics and a concern for the nation over special interests (that being why he didn't stand a chance of the Republican nomination for POTUS). Jill Stein would be my 2nd choice, whom I could still live with, and Obama my 3rd and last choice I made sighing and, again, seeing it as a vote against Romney.

We had a referendum in the UK for IRV last year; it failed to pass unfortunately.
*sigh*:frown:

I'd vote:
1: Jill Stein
2: Rocky Anderson
3: Barack Obama

Party-wise:
1: US Green Party
2: Justice Party(Unsure)
3: Democratic Party

And in the UK, party-wise, i'd vote:
1: Liberal Democrats
2: Green Party
3: Labour Party

Obama was initially my last choice in the 2008 Primaries....

I thought he was too conservative for my tastes and as a Liberal I have hated his penchant for reaching across the aisle to accommodate the Tea Party....

Dennis Kucinich was always my first choice and the candidate I loved...Hillary Clinton was a close second but Ralph Nader and Mark Gonzalez would have gotten my vote after Kucinich and Clinton.

Obama has advanced GLBT people since Day One...and YES...he took a calculated risk by supporting gay marriage...but it wasn't for the gay people's support because as we can see right here...most dont' care enough to even vote or support the guy who is supporting you (...politicos already know that...they are well aware of the demographics and voting habits of the constituents)...but because of his LIBERAL BASE who was NOT energized to go to the voting booth He needed to shore up his liberal base or he had NO CHANCE of winning....and LIBERALS have fought for gay equality all along...it is an important part of social justice...and Obama was speaking to them specifically when he supported marriage equality. It worked...I am a proud Liberal and I immediately donated to his campaign...the same day...and I have continued to do so.

Romney has failed to shore up his conservative base...this is why he flip flops...he is trying to appeal to them because without them he is screwed....and the polls show it.

Forget about the popular vote...it is the electoral vote that matters and he is NOT within striking distance.

Oh yeah, I wanted to share this, worth a chuckle, IMO and (unlike most SNL I've seen) approaches Jon Stewart in quality: