Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretending to be macho?
So I was talking to this guy that I met at a GLBT event on campus. We were just talking in general about our interests and stuff. When I mentioned that I play hockey and study martial arts, he acted sort of turned off by it. He made some condescending remarks about gay guys who try to "pass" by pretending to be macho.
I told him I'm out and I'm not pretending anything, those are just things I enjoy, but he acted like he looked down on sports and stuff like that - like I was some kind of dumb jock and not "gay enough".
Obviously he is not going to be my new BFF, no advice needed there. But we wonder where the gay stereotypes come from? Maybe we create some of them ourselves?

On the other hand it's said that straight guys are interested in sports and if someone is not excited about football games, it equals being excluded. Don't worry, I'm sure there are many gay guys who will appreciate your hobbies Tongue

That's why I don't like stereotypes. Everyone is different and has diverse interests. When I meet new people I don't approach them with any particular expectations. I give them the opportunity to show who they are and if there is a possibility of friendship it will happen. Personally I think a gay guy who likes sports is pretty normal. To be interested in sports doesn't depend on your sex or sexual orientation.

It's so sad when a homosexual turns out to be so narrow-minded. One would've thought having to deal with being gay and coming out, he would've learnt that people are different and that's okay.

Up that guy's nose with a rubber hose! I played hockey all through high school, and participated in tournament Tae Kwon Do until I was 16 (I was NY State champion in 1991, and competed in the US Junior TKD Olympics in Orlando FL, where I got my ass kicked). You don't have to be an effeminate pixie to be gay.

LGBT people are as varied as everyone else in life, one day maybe society will realise this Smile

Brett240 Wrote:So I was talking to this guy that I met at a GLBT event on campus. We were just talking in general about our interests and stuff. When I mentioned that I play hockey and study martial arts, he acted sort of turned off by it. He made some condescending remarks about gay guys who try to "pass" by pretending to be macho.
I told him I'm out and I'm not pretending anything, those are just things I enjoy, but he acted like he looked down on sports and stuff like that - like I was some kind of dumb jock and not "gay enough".
Obviously he is not going to be my new BFF, no advice needed there. But we wonder where the gay stereotypes come from? Maybe we create some of them ourselves?

Closed minded assholes exist in every culture. In adversity, oppressed cultures often perpetuate bias within our own ranks by virtue of plain stupidity, narrow mindedness and general lack of emotional/mental health. I know a pixie fairy with a mean left hook and beer belly famous for over exposure on the dance floor! He's a rebel and a pioneer! Laugh
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Stereotypes exist because there is a grain of truth to some of them. However, most stereotypes are false, based on prejudices.

Just be you, and you'll attract others who find that attractive.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

A lot of team sports, at least in school, display overt homophobia which would push away anyone openly gay (or even just not being macho enough) from playing. But it's not the sport itself that would do it but rather the attitude of those who tend to be involved.

Though I expect he just adopted the paradigm. Sounds similar to how a couple of black people I know get called "oreos" (white on the inside) because they're interested in things thought of as "white" (including computers and academics, but also music and shows). Of course that attitude plays right into the hands of white supremacists and may even be related to the old brown paper bag tests.

What a jerk is what i'm thinking.

I heard there is now a gay football professional team player. I really hope this turns around people about how they feel towards gays.

i am crossing my fingers that tons of more professional footballers come out of the closet.