Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty sure landlord is breaking some serious laws
So, we just moved in to a house, yeah it's in rough shape but it hasn't been occupied in a year so of course we would notice some things, tell the landlord and then receive repair.

WELL the pipes around the water meter are leaking MASSIVELY, the kitchen sink is not put together and it seems a piece is missing and I cannot do it myself (and I SHOULDN'T ANYWAY) so anytime another sink is used or a toilet is flushed water runs out the sewage drain (or whatever it's called), the upstairs shower causes water to run out the ceiling below it when it's on so it cannot be used and there are three of us living there, soon to be 4. The landlord said that on Wednesday the plumber would be by, then it was supposed to be Thursday, and then yesterday and now today. The plumber has NOT shown.

We also can't really take showers anyway because the gas company would not turn on the gas because of unsafe conditions (pressure cap missing), landlord knows about this but hasn't told us when it will be repaired.

I don't know what my boyfriend did with the lease so I haven't looked in to what that says we can do legally although I know what the options are.

According the landlord he's called the plumber and the plumber has been a no-show. If this is TRUE (which I'm starting to doubt) then I feel bad getting all angry, but if it's true then a DIFFERENT plumber should probably be getting called.

So I'm wondering, what would be the best road to go about talking to the landlord? I don't want to get all angry tenant on the landlord because he does seem nice and I want to be on good terms so, what would be the best way to approach the landlord to sound serious that this NEEDS to be taken care of IMMEDIATELY without going all apeshit crazy? I've read about sending a letter to the landlord to prove the repairs are necessary and I'm going to write one up just because there are several things more minor that I'm not super concerned about but should be noted to avoid us getting the blame for already existing issues.

It doesn't matter if he seems nice. If he's not keeping up his end of the agreement, you are fully justified in getting all 'angry tenant' on him. You don't have to be vicious - just assert yourself, which you have every right to do as long as you're holding up your end of the legal agreement you've established. You should be able to send a written request for a copy of the lease so you know exactly what is in there - there may be a small fee attached to this though. If it got to this point with me, I'd have walked right into his office and told him in person that it's been several days without a plumber and you're having to live with leaks and without gas or warm water, with 2 (soon 3) other people. It's easier to shrug it off when it's written notices or emails or phone calls, but when someone who's asked you about these things repeatedly is right there in front of you it's harder to ignore.

Writing that letter is a good idea - they should also have the condition of the house prior to your tenancy on record - also make sure that's recorded, so nothing can be pinned on you that you didn't cause.

Every state has different laws but every state has renter's right's laws.

Educate yourself on your states laws and then confront your landlord.

Richard

Spencer,

Going apeshit crazy is fun AFTER you have a new place to move into. If you think you will have to deal with your landlord, BE NICE.
Then, document every complaint and give him copies on a weekly basis. There are good tenant laws everywhere but you must PROVE you made the landlord aware of the problems.
Most landlords get nervous of polite guys with lots of documentation. It tells them you will probably win in court AND they are responsible for court costs, your lawyers and the repairs. It is a lot cheaper in the long run for landlords to make repairs. They own and will want to continue to rent after you are gone.
Remember, you are doing him a favor by being aware of the problems. Be cheerful and rub it in that you will continue to pester him.

Good luck
John[B][/B]

Those are not habitable conditions, regardless the tenant laws.

Thats a massive disaster waiting to happen!

Call the City, tell them whats going on. The guy who rented you the place can be fined for letting anybody move into a condemned house. And yes, that house should be condemned.

Call the City at once!!!

What does lease/renters contract/agreement say?

You did sign paper work, didn't you?

If not then I fear you may be in for one hell of a ride. As easily as you can claim that he is supposed to do X,Y, Z he can claim that the terms of your rest was that you all would repair what needs to be repaired.

You need to find that lease and read over it very carefully. Without it you are S.O.L.

I would suggest you tell the landlord that you will look for a cheap reliable repair person - plumber, electrician etc. Even get a few quotes together (written quotes). This way you know who the plumber/repair person whoever is and can call them to find out if he has called to set appointment.

If he hasn't set appointment then you know you are being screwed.

I would also suggest you go to the law library at your county seat (the main city that handles county matters) Unless you live in a city proper then you need to go to the municipal law library. Talk to one of the librarians or law clerks and have them point you to the tenant law section.

There are places in the USA where places are allowed to be this ran down. Other places have stiff penalties and courses of legal action.

You are getting rent receipts - yes? If so, hold on to them - I would suggest a bank box. Also hold on to every other bill that is sent to your new address. Electric bill, water bill, trash - etc. This way you can prove you are a tenant and not a squatter.

I fucking hate slum-lords.....

Ya, do what everyone is telling you.. it's good advice.

I am not aware of the laws where you live but I would imagine that there are basic conditions where a property can be rented, health and safety being the prime ones. The fact that the gas company will not turn it on is a major factor indicating that the installation was unsafe before you moved in. Whether your landlord is nice or not, have you considered consulting a solicitor? Most certainly list in writing all the defects and send them by registered post to your landlord asking at the same time when can you expect things to be put right. I think that probably your City Hall would also be interested in knowing about these unsafe conditions and you should investigate to which department you should address your concerns.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams