Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pride Flags... what are your thoughts?
BYoNexus Wrote:Actually, wearing a symbol of some aspect of yourself isn't "shoving it down others throats" especially something as innocuous as a bracelet. Its like someone wearing a cross necklace (Or other holy symbol) isn't shoving their religion down your throat. Its a personal accessory for One to express something about themselves to others.

If someone is offended by it, that's their fault for being offended. Its not the fault of the individual that others find a symbol of pride, equality etc offensive. If it were something like a swastika, that's more understandable (unless they're Hindu or some other culture that uses it besides the Nazi implication).

It's like if I went around wearing my gamer t-shirts and had colorful Mario mushroom pins on my backpack. I'm simply expressing my interests as a gamer. If people think that's shoving my gamer culture down people's throats, too bad. I like my shirts and my pins. I'm not promoting anything harmful, there's no reason to get mad unless you have some serious issues with video games. Same thing if you wore a pro LGBT t-shirt or bracelet. People shouldn't get annoyed by it unless they have some issue with the LGBT.

I guess why a symbol to show one is gay is okay, the reason straight people dont is cause mostly everyone is presumed straight and life caters to this social norm.

To put it another way me and wade both have dicks, if i didnt know wade id presume his dick makes him straight, the flag tells me otherwise.

On a personal note i dont much like the rainbow colours… its not my colour, id rather something identify me as a G and not with the LBT though wade im really pleased for you, i think this is good for you and even though I wouldn't wear it wouldn't stop me dating someone who did if I liked them.

There's a difference between "Shoving things down someone's throat" and "subtlety acknowledging things about oneself"

People wear symbols of their religion, school, nationality, hobbies, job etc. None of these are "Forceing it down someone's throat" so why would a rainbow bracelet be any diffrent.

It's not.

Every day I am surrounded with examples of straight behaviour, which I could easily describe as being "shoved down my throat". From couples walking round town holding hands to groups of boorish lads outside the pub to relationships portrayed in the entertainment media, advertising ... everywhere everything.

I'm with Wade on this. I refuse to deny who I am to appease majority culture. The longer I am invisible the longer it takes to break down prejudice. The more I try not to rock the boat the more convenient it is for straights. We did not win any changes in society by staying in the closet. If someone is so small-minded that someone wearing a bracelet upsets them, they have far bigger problems to address in their lives. I am glad this topic has been raised, because it makes me realise that I approach anyone I see wearing a crucifix with caution. That's not to say I set out to be rude to them, but it gives me pause to think that others see things differently.

I've this friend, who is one of the very few straight male friends that I have. When I came out, I lost a lot of friends and he doesn't support gay rights and he doesn't really accept homosexuality either, but he still stayed by my side and I think he's trying to understand. One time we happened to talk about gay parades and his point was that gay people may think that with these pride parades they are making straights to accept and to think about equality, but actually we're just angering them. He was like "when you know perfectly well that most straights will not accept it and you're still going around flaunting over the whole town how much you want to be accepted, then don't cry when you're bullied or beaten up, because that is of your own doing."

Even as a gay man I can see a sense in his words.

Edward Wrote:..."when you know perfectly well that most straights will not accept it and you're still going around flaunting over the whole town how much you want to be accepted, then don't cry when you're bullied or beaten up, because that is of your own doing."

Really? That is outrageous! People behaving like total pricks do it because they like being bullies. Nobody is forcing them to throw a punch or put the boot in. When was the last time you heard of vigilante gangs of gays beating up the straight boys?

Coming from Wade, I understand the sentiment and purpose of wearing a pride flag.

It almost makes me cry cause I think: what if I was in college with Wade..Not even in the safest environment I would have had the courage to let people know I am gay...I would have probably never met him, or notice him much (besides of a look or 2 to that cute face obviously)...and then.."meh, just another cute straight guy" cause quite frankly I am guilty of living by the norm "straight until proven gay"....

I'm socially awkward, he's socially awkward..hard thing to happen...

so I think...wait....I wouldn't know the fantastic Wade!!!!!!!!!?????? That's just heartbreaking.

So, I can imagine how many people are missing out on meeting Wade....and now they will probably do cause he wears such a thing....

That is a positive. Certainly the intention is not to make people uncomfortable.

People who do, would do it with anything, religion, money, anything,...they would shove anything they think right onto others..

not Wade...

Personally, though..I wouldn't wear any unless I lived somewhere else..

sadly I am thoguth of as a straight guy...and even though I'm tried of being closeted, I don't have to guts to break that thought for them..my fault..I had a chance to correct them and I didn't...I was comfortable letting them think I was straight....I thought it was easier..

I regret it..

I do find it sad that just because we are LGBT we are in the need to wear stuff like that to communicate with each other..

I would like to live in a world where I can walk up to any guy and say "I find you cute"..and get as a response "Hey, I'm flattered but I'm not gay" and it would be just that and not a big deal..

Instead, I just hear the news here and recently a gay guy was beaten up to death in Santiago...because he was gay......

granted, Santiago is full of horrible people, but that makes it all the more risky to wear the p-flag..

On the bright side the college I work in is safe for us..they even have a LGBT group (which, trust me, in a Catholic Uni is a big deal)...

who knows..

maybe one of this days I will show up to my students wearing a p-flag..

Well I wear my flag pon me arm, so unless someone wants to chop my arm off, its never coming off lol. And it ain't a Tattoo .

A flag is not something you fly for others, but for yourself, so why people get offended by someone having ownership and expression and value for their pride, is beyond my little island boy brain :I

The guy in that Picture looks like one of those stereotypical backhill type of person who would just as soon flail his American flag in someone else's face for the sake of his pride just as quick and who knows, that might offend someone.

It's like asking someone "I don't care if your Spanish, speak English or keep it to yourself".

Sometimes, I swear people need a license to think, cause the dumb shit that dribbles out of their face cavern is ridiculous :I

Edward Wrote:He was like "when you know perfectly well that most straights will not accept it and you're still going around flaunting over the whole town how much you want to be accepted, then don't cry when you're bullied or beaten up, because that is of your own doing."

This is basically the same as men telling women that if they wear seductive clothes and they get raped it's their own fault.

It's the fault of the rapists and bashers for acting in a way that is unacceptable. No woman deserves to be raped because of what she wears, and no LGBT person deserves to be beat for being in a parade or flying a flag. I often wear gay pride jewelry, have a pride magnet on my car, and have a pink triangle tattoo on my arm.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:This is basically the same as men telling women that if they wear seductive clothes and they get raped it's their own fault.

It's the fault of the rapists and bashers for acting in a way that is unacceptable. No woman deserves to be raped because of what she wears, and no LGBT person deserves to be beat for being in a parade or flying a flag. I often wear gay pride jewelry, have a pride magnet on my car, and have a pink triangle tattoo on my arm.

Totally beat me to it.

To Edward:

That is absolutely deplorable. Re-read what your friend said a couple more times: "when you know perfectly well that most straights will not accept it and you're still going around flaunting over the whole town how much you want to be accepted, then don't cry when you're bullied or beaten up, because that is of your own doing."

Do the men whose fists are raining down on these hypothetical men really believe they are not responsible for their actions? I'm speechless...

I understand that this guy stuck by you when most others didn't... but don't allow yourself to believe that what he said was either true, compassionate, loving or anything other than despicable, ignorant, barbaric victim blaming.

Hitting a person with your fists because they annoy you is how a two year old deals with their problems... not actual adults.