Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progressive California
California [SIZE=2]has finally [/SIZE]decided to let Gays marry... The news is good, as far as I'm concerned. Apparently lots and lots of couples have applied to tie the knot.
Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile:

princealbertofb Wrote:California [SIZE=2]has finally [/SIZE]decided to let Gays marry... The news is good, as far as I'm concerned. Apparently lots and lots of couples have applied to tie the knot.

Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile: Confusedmile:
Quite right too. It seems that the banning of same-sex marriages was deemed unconstitutional (although I haven't had time to check the details). Lets hope the rest of the Union can be brought to see fair play and equality of opportunity for all.

marshlander Wrote:Quite right too. It seems that the banning of same-sex marriages was deemed unconstitutional (although I haven't had time to check the details). Lets hope the rest of the Union can be brought to see fair play and equality of opportunity for all.

Well, when you do check the details, will you give us a little more feedback? France Info was on strike today so the news has been scant.

well..as a california resident...with a boyfriend...this would seem to be good news...but...in reality...that's only a half truth...

These marriages will only be valid in California and 2 other states...and that's it! Nationally, gay marriage is illegal....if my bf was from another country...he could not live here. We could not file federal taxes as a couple or have any other rights that straight couples enjoy.

Also...to put a gray lining on a silver cloud...there is going to be a vote in california's November election to change the state constitution to read "..marriage is a man and a woman only"....so, it's too early to celebrate too little

sorry to rain on the parade!

all the best,
Eric

Thanks for the update, Eric... I have the same fears that America is not going to vote progressively in the presidential elections.

musicteach Wrote:well..as a california resident...with a boyfriend...this would seem to be good news...but...in reality...that's only a half truth...

These marriages will only be valid in California and 2 other states...and that's it! Nationally, gay marriage is illegal....if my bf was from another country...he could not live here. We could not file federal taxes as a couple or have any other rights that straight couples enjoy.

Also...to put a gray lining on a silver cloud...there is going to be a vote in california's November election to change the state constitution to read "..marriage is a man and a woman only"....so, it's too early to celebrate too little

all the best,
Eric

Yes, thanks for clearing some of that up mt. Even living in Pennsylvania it is hard to get good info on the issues. I was especially interested in the international thing. I figured it was gonna be as you wrote.

One unique thing, from what I understand, is that residents from other states can come to California to get married. It seems that this has been set up specifically for fights on a national level. Married couples will go back to their home state and not be recognized then sue that state.

PofA I hope you are wrong about the election but I fear you might be onto something. Obama should have a much larger lead just by the fact that he is a D. It is gonna be a wild ride for us.

musicteach Wrote:well..as a california resident...
so, it's too early to celebrate too little

all the best,
Eric
Eric, I don't consider this to be raining on the parade at all ... I've played in several this year, and been rained on, and it's not the same. Wink

Thanks for more accurate information about the situation. It seems outrageous that decisions about defining marriage can be taken by a simplistic referendum. Is that also the mechanism by which women were enfranchised and African Americans granted rights under the law?

in the news tonight (France Info) one journalist reports that the governor of California, one Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife Maria Shriver (niece of the deceased John Fitzgerald Kennedy (a Democrat)) are constantly arguing about who should win in the next elections. They are both active in defending their own candidate, Maria is for Obama while Arnold is for MacCain... Not surprisingly, California is torn between defending progressive legislation and returning to more conservative attitudes.

On a fluffier note : I saw pics of the evergreen George Takei getting signing some sort of marriage document with his partner...boyfriend! of 21 years.Cute.

Dan1089 Wrote:On a fluffier note : I saw pics of the evergreen George Takei getting signing some sort of marriage document with his partner...boyfriend! of 21 years.Cute.

Sorry to be so ignorant but who is George Takei???